Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Ferguson Smallbone and Manning are the 3 new faces that I think you could make a solid case for genuinely improving us compared to what we have. 

Ferguson needs no introduction and the other two definitely have the potential to play top flight football in the future depending on staying fit, how things go for them/what sort of ambition they show etc.

Sykes is playing very well too and can see the case for him over Smallbone but Smallbone is more likely to get to a higher level down the line in my humble opinion. 

Hopefully Doherty plays for Atletico the weekend and hopefully Obafemi,Parrott and Idah can continue to get minutes under their respective belts. 

I would be starting Doherty/Coleman at wing back for the French game. As good as McClean was in the Luxembourg and Azerbaijan games he was a liability defensively against Portugal in Faro and in Dublin.  

In fairness, this is just absolute nonsense. Blaming him (which we have heard before) for the goals against Portugal with 9 of our players in the box is really disingenuous to say the least. 

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Kenny is on the record as saying he's unlikely to start anybody against Latvia who is likely to start against France. 

Won't be the first or last manager to say something but yet do the opposite.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:33pm
He was absolutely at fault for the 2 goals against Portugal in Faro. To anyone with eyes at least.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Kenny is on the record as saying he's unlikely to start anybody against Latvia who is likely to start against France. 

In fairness Kenny has been speaking out both sides of his mouth on a lot of things.

It's also the wrong approach to take too. He should be a lot more open minded about his selection for France.

Completely agree with this, no way should he know the majority of the starting team for the France game without having a look at some lads. For example if Manning or Sykes get a start against Latvia and play out or their skin (albeit against Latvia) , surely they should be considered for a start against France instead of going with the same faces every time. It completely discourages lack of competition for places when the new guys being called up know that no matter how hard they try or how well they train, SK will stick with the same faces
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

He was absolutely at fault for the 2 goals against Portugal in Faro. To anyone with eyes at least.

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCKuFJ9r4YU&t=633s&ab_channel=FAITV

9:58 - no doubt he should have got his block on - but it's a 9v4 in Ireland's favour.

Why, out of 9 Irish players in the box, nobody marking Ronaldo!

Not sure why he was blamed for the second goal either.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:43pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Ferguson Smallbone and Manning are the 3 new faces that I think you could make a solid case for genuinely improving us compared to what we have. 

Ferguson needs no introduction and the other two definitely have the potential to play top flight football in the future depending on staying fit, how things go for them/what sort of ambition they show etc.

Sykes is playing very well too and can see the case for him over Smallbone but Smallbone is more likely to get to a higher level down the line in my humble opinion. 

Hopefully Doherty plays for Atletico the weekend and hopefully Obafemi,Parrott and Idah can continue to get minutes under their respective belts. 

I would be starting Doherty/Coleman at wing back for the French game. As good as McClean was in the Luxembourg and Azerbaijan games he was a liability defensively against Portugal in Faro and in Dublin.  

In fairness, this is just absolute nonsense. Blaming him (which we have heard before) for the goals against Portugal with 9 of our players in the box is really disingenuous to say the least. 

He was brought on with the purpose of stopping the supply of crosses down that side coming in as Doherty was goosed and not alone did the sub not stop the supply of crosses they actually got more joy with him on. The first goal he should have 100% done better for. 

“Which we have heard before” for every fan who wants to blame McClean for everything there is a fan who thinks he’s above criticism cause he shows “passion”. That argument is stale I literally praised him for how good he was against Luxembourg/Azerbaijan.

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:45pm

Two goals? Have you these eye things that you talk about? 

For the 1st, he gets beating to easy but he's not alone in taking blame. Ronaldo is standing in the box on his own.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:46pm
Why are the other 9 players absolved from any of the blame?

We have 3 defenders who are meant to defend and a goal keeper whose job is to prevent goals. Why are they not being held to account like McClean is?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:50pm

Laughable comment LOL Curious as to what you expected from him for the second goal? Doesn’t cover himself in glory for the first one but ‘at fault’ is a serious reach 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:51pm

In fairness Kenny has been speaking out both sides of his mouth on a lot of things.

It's also the wrong approach to take too. He should be a lot more open minded about his selection for France.

I cold imagine it might be a game he didn't want which could be the reason for him thinking that way. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:54pm

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCKuFJ9r4YU&t=633s&ab_channel=FAITV

9:58 - no doubt he should have got his block on - but it's a 9v4 in Ireland's favour.

Why, out of 9 Irish players in the box, nobody marking Ronaldo!

Not sure why he was blamed for the second goal either.

Why I would be harsher on McClean then Duffy for the slack defending losing Ronaldo is he wasn’t long on the field and was fresh as a daisy. Duffy shouldn’t be losing Ronaldo in that scenario but had played the full game and we were out on our feet at that point. 

You might disagree. He should have done better and overall I don’t think he made a positive contribution in that game.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 1:58pm
I'm happy for McClean to be called out on letting the cross in - he got nutmegged and should have prevented the cross.

But there are still 9 Ireland players in the box who should have done better and Ronaldo is unmarked and unchallenged for the goal.

There are a collection of errors but I wouldn't be singling any one player out on it.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Laughable comment LOL Curious as to what you expected from him for the second goal? Doesn’t cover himself in glory for the first one but ‘at fault’ is a serious reach 

McClean was fresh legs onto the pitch when others had spent the entire game backs against the wall defending. Out on their feet, physically and mentally exhausted.

What they needed from a substitute was to come on and take over some of that physical responsibility and not shirk his defensive responsibilities. Close down players, make it hard for Portugal, run around for the few minutes he was on.

He allows two piss easy crosses in from that side when he was barely on the pitch, he should have been full of running and well able to close down.

His contribution was awful, and in the context of the game he was at fault, undoubtedly so. If you find facts laughable you must get a hernia watching the news everyday LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 2:19pm
I'd like to see us get a bit of momentum going into France game. I wouldn't like to see it a completely different XI. 

where did he say that? (Kenny has been very quiet as of late!)
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 2:31pm

McClean was fresh legs onto the pitch when others had spent the entire game backs against the wall defending. Out on their feet, physically and mentally exhausted.

What they needed from a substitute was to come on and take over some of that physical responsibility and not shirk his defensive responsibilities. Close down players, make it hard for Portugal, run around for the few minutes he was on.

He allows two piss easy crosses in from that side when he was barely on the pitch, he should have been full of running and well able to close down.

His contribution was awful, and in the context of the game he was at fault, undoubtedly so. If you find facts laughable you must get a hernia watching the news everyday LOL
You seem to be the only one claiming he ‘at fault’?? Therefore I would say it’s not really ‘undoubtedly so’ as many others doubt that he was at fault. Maybe it’s a deeper lying issue and you just don’t like him?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd like to see us get a bit of momentum going into France game. I wouldn't like to see it a completely different XI. 

where did he say that? (Kenny has been very quiet as of late!)

He also said he didnt want any game in advance of France, but UEFA insist that teams must play a friendly if they dont have 2 competitive fixtures in a 2 game window, thus the Latvia game. 

I dont think it's any harm at all (5 days between the 2 games), a few lads, the likes of Kelleher, Duffy, Doherty, Collins, maybe Ferguson, maybe Obafemi might benefit from minutes either from the start or off the bench vs Latvia, while it also gives an opportunity to have a look at a few others, Smallbone, Sykes, Coventry, maybe Manning, Azaz in advance of the 2 game window in June where one would certainly hope for a different midfield make up vs Gibralter to that which is likely to play vs France and Greece away.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:11pm

Completely agree with this, no way should he know the majority of the starting team for the France game without having a look at some lads. For example if Manning or Sykes get a start against Latvia and play out or their skin (albeit against Latvia) , surely they should be considered for a start against France instead of going with the same faces every time. It completely discourages lack of competition for places when the new guys being called up know that no matter how hard they try or how well they train, SK will stick with the same faces

I respectfully disagree, he didnt even want the Latvia game. He will have a fair idea of his starting XI for the French game at this stage and I dont think a strong perfromance by the likes of Manning or Smallbone vs Latvia would change that (it might influence who gets a chance off the bench). He will use the Latvia game to give minutes to lads who he wants to start vs France but who are struggling for game time - Doherty, Collins, maybe Ferguson and Obafemi, but hopefully the rest of the selection will allow for a bit of experimentation e.g. I see no point starting Cullen vs Latvia, so why not take the opportunity to have a look at Coventry, ditto Knight and Smallbone. Kelleher and Duffy will likely need a game also. There are others too who will hopefully get minutes e.g. Sykes, Manning, Azaz, Omobamidele, but I dont expect any of them to start vs France.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:22pm

I cant see Coleman not starting. At least I would be surprised if he was not.

Think I'd agree with this. He's powers are definitely on the wane but at least he is playing games which Doherty currently isn't 

Regardless of game time at Atletico, Doherty will play vs France (maybe at LWB with Coleman at RWB), he is one of our best players. He can get mins vs Latvia to improve his match sharpness but his underlying fitness will not be a problem given he has been working under a Conte regime and now a Simeone regime. He'll be fit as a butchers dog, match sharpness is the issue.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
  Share Topic