You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squad for Upcoming Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 8:49pm
was Jimmy Dunne called up? Could have sworn this was him at start of video getting off bus - https://twitter.com/faireland/status/1457724142124519427?s=21
Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

was Jimmy Dunne called up? Could have sworn this was him at start of video getting off bus - https://twitter.com/faireland/status/1457724142124519427?s=21
I think that’s Nathan Collins 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 4:15am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Seems to be another player lost when it comes to his regular position. Doesnt have the pace to be a winger and if played as a forward, i dont think he has enough ability to conjure up creating enough chances/converting them. 

Another lad that appears far too quiet on the pitch for my liking. What ever happened to lads with real personality? Nice lad im sure but that's the problem i reckon. 

All of above is based on what i have seen of him in green. 23 caps and honestly, can't really think of him contributing anything of note? Massive few years for the lad. 27 in April. 

That's the impression I get from him as well. Always seems like he could be trying harder and kind of breezes through games.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the performances I'm basing that on were under previous managers. He might be more suited to a team that tries to play a bit of football.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 2:23pm
Cullen and Knight with mustaches.

Is Movember still a thing?
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Will Keane can fill in for Collins if we’re looking to go direct 

It he gets into the match day squads this time 

If we do ever play England in the very near future will it be the first time 2 brothers faced off in a international fixture?

Granit and Taulant Xhaka played against each other at Euro 2016. Jerome and Kevin-Prince Boateng played against each other at the world cup.
Very interesting, I had forgotten if I knew. Thanks for sharing.
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 8:25pm
Maguire and ODowda (initially) dropped. O'Shea injured (and now JCollins). Connolly unexplained. Whelan forgotten about (presumably by accident EmbarrassedLOL). Is that it?
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:20pm
Just wanted to top this up. 

With a view to March I do think it's paramount we blood a new CM. Kilkenny really is the one isn't he Taylor the other. If Cullen god forbid gets a serious injury where do we turn. Hendrick likewise. Browne and Hourihane nothing against them but not it going forward and Molumby is talented but a bit rash. 

Kilkenny is tailor made for the way Kenny wants to play and I'd certainly give him a run in a NL game on top of the March friendlies. Cullen can't play 4 in 10 games. He's been our most in form CM going into this round of games is playing in a team regularly with CM options superior to ours overall and was actually fantastic against a quality Italian midfield Friday night despite playing in a mess of a team.

Also I want to see Will Keane get a game or two. He's definitely an alternative to Idah in that big man up top role and while banging them in at League 1 level is still scoring and is definitely better then that division. 

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Nov 2021 at 11:21pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Just wanted to top this up. 

With a view to March I do think it's paramount we blood a new CM. Kilkenny really is the one isn't he Taylor the other. If Cullen god forbid gets a serious injury where do we turn. Hendrick likewise. Browne and Hourihane nothing against them but not it going forward and Molumby is talented but a bit rash. 

Kilkenny is tailor made for the way Kenny wants to play and I'd certainly give him a run in a NL game on top of the March friendlies. Cullen can't play 4 in 10 games. He's been our most in form CM going into this round of games is playing in a team regularly with CM options superior to ours overall and was actually fantastic against a quality Italian midfield Friday night despite playing in a mess of a team.

Also I want to see Will Keane get a game or two. He's definitely an alternative to Idah in that big man up top role and while banging them in at League 1 level is still scoring and is definitely better then that division. 

Smallbone and Ronan are the other two I'm hoping to see in March
Idah Dream!
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:13am
Brady, mcCarthy, elbouzedi, ronan, connolly, obafemi, kilkenny, smallbone all could be options. It time to get rid of the likes of horgans from the squad
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:47am
There are 23 players for a matchday squad. Assuming we are all happy that the starting 11 from last night will be in the next squad, as well as the two other keepers, that leaves 10 slots. Knight, Omobamidele, Nathan Collins, Jamie McGrath, Enda Stevens, Troy Parrott will prob make it.
That leaves 4 - Conor Hourihane, Alan Browne, Will Keane, Callum O'Dowda to mss out???.
He mightnt be too popular on here but I cant see Hourihane being left out.
So possible upto 3 changes by the time our Euro 24 campaign rolls around but I wouldnt expect more than that. I'd agree on Kilkenny, he looks the most likely
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Brady, mcCarthy, elbouzedi, ronan, connolly, obafemi, kilkenny, smallbone all could be options. It time to get rid of the likes of horgans from the squad

He wasn't in the squad for last nights game LOL

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1459868722336866308/photo/1

I'm no fan of Horgan but at least he's playing - most of those are not playing above, and their all playing in difference positions to Horgan too.

You do some amount of moaning.

Edited by horsebox - 15 Nov 2021 at 10:08am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:27am
We're all excited by young lads coming through but I think there needs to be a bit of realism, Kenny and the management team have had a settled squad recently and the results and performances have gone up a level. I can't see him tearing up the script to bring in a load of young fellas. 

I'd really only expect to see one or two out of Kilkenny, Coventry, Smallbone and maybe someone like Connor Ronan. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:54am
We need to get to a position whereby if lads are playing close to no club football, they are not in our squad.
Ideally we'd not have had Idah, Hourihane, Hendrick, Horgan or Kelleher in the squad at all (I'm likely missing one or two others). 

Now, I am not suggesting we drop the likes of Hendrick (or Kelleher...keeper position a bit unique) as he has been excellent for us, but a Hendrick playing weekly for his club would be better again.

As it stands, we have no squad dept to allow us to be so picky, but the hope is that more and more players emerge from the underages.  We all want superstars to emerge, but more realistcially we will get a cohort of players much of a muchness with what we already have, but hopefully then more will be playing regular matches and we can prioritise those in squads.

We're already there when it comes to centre-halves in that our subs are PL players who are getting some matches.  And we don't even bring another PL player in the squad at all in Clark.

But further forward this drops off a cliff and we debate Idah's form for us, or how Hendrick is playing, when neither seem to have a club-career to speak of for now.
Hence the calls for Kilkenny's inclusion after a half-dozen club matches.  It's bonkers really, but that's where we find ourselves.
Ronan playes a few good matches in Scotland - he's immediately in the conversation for a callup.
Connolly scores a brace v Spurs - called up.
Idah was promoted for doing even less at club level.
Parrott too.

None of these lads should be near the 1st team squad, but the bar to get over to get into contention is mightily low, and only more players competing for the spots will raise it.

Edited by Fozz - 15 Nov 2021 at 10:55am
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:25am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

He wasn't in the squad for last nights game LOL

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1459868722336866308/photo/1

I'm no fan of Horgan but at least he's playing - most of those are not playing above, and their all playing in difference positions to Horgan too.

You do some amount of moaning.
Do I, are you sure your not mixing me up with another poster?the point and I taught it was very clear is that the names mentioned above could push for a squad place come March. Horgan was in the squad but just not the matchday squad. I just think we have better options for squad other than horgan, collins etc..who have played or been named in recent squads under kenny.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Ireland squad (v Portugal and Luxembourg)

Goalkeepers: Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Gavin Bazunu (Portsmouth, on loan from Manchester City), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Manning (Swansea City), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Nathan Collins (Burnley).

Midfielders: Conor Hourihane (Sheffield United, on loan from Aston Villa), Josh Cullen (Anderlecht), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Jason Knight (Derby County), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jamie McGrath (St. Mirren).

Forwards: Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Troy Parrott (MK Dons, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Idah (Norwich City), James Collins (Cardiff City), Will Keane (Wigan Athletic), Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Daryl Horgan (Wycombe Wanderers).

This was the latest 26 man squad as announced. Jack Taylor and Callum O'Dowda were late call ups for Molumby and Collins respectively, so thats 28 and that doesnt include the injured O'Shea or Aaron Connolly, which takes that number to 30. Other recent call ups include Scales, Clark, Christie, Curtis, S. Long, while there may still be a role for the likes of Brady or Mc Carthy.

Looking at the most recent 26 named, Horgan, Collins and Hourihane look the most vulnerable and there are perhaps too many attacking players in the squad. O'Shea is a lock to come back in and you would hope Connolly works his way back also. There are certain positions where we need to take a look in March given the age profile of the current incumbents and/or the lack of established back ups namely RWB/LWB and CM, but there really  isnt a whole lot of space in the squad for new faces in the short to medium term. We look like there will be strong competition for squad places going forward which is a good thing. I think for anyone to break in to this squad, they will have to be performing regularly at a high level for their club. 

It would also be good to see in particular the senior players who are struggling for game time, i.e. Doherty/Hendrick resolve their club situations in January.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:29pm
Exciting times really when you look at the number of lads currently in the squad who are 25 or under

Baz/Kelleher/Travers
Omobamidele/Collins/Manning
Cullen/Knight/Molumby/McGrath
Idah/Parrott/Ogbene

Throw in O'Shea and Connolly and that's 15 who are 25 or under leaving asides Scales and Taylor and the plethora of other young talents who have been mentioned in dispatches - Ronan, Smallbone, Doyle-Hayes, Kilkenny, Coventry, Obafemi etc. The future is bright lads.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:00pm
It is - and I think we have five players under 23 in particular who, based on their ability but also their attitude, have exceptionally high ceilings in the game. Those five are Bazunu, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Collins and Knight. I could really only see injury problems preventing any of those five from going on to have 50+ cap Ireland careers.

That's almost half a team and is a great base to build on. Obviously there are loads of other younger players who have a good chance as well, but those five for me are already starting to move from potential prospects into top level players.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It is - and I think we have five players under 23 in particular who, based on their ability but also their attitude, have exceptionally high ceilings in the game. Those five are Bazunu, Omobamidele, O'Shea, Collins and Knight. I could really only see injury problems preventing any of those five from going on to have 50+ cap Ireland careers.

That's almost half a team and is a great base to build on. Obviously there are loads of other younger players who have a good chance as well, but those five for me are already starting to move from potential prospects into top level players.

Kelleher is almost certainly 6 but of course the problem for him or Bazunu whoever only one can play. Poor Mark Travers looks the type of talent that would be getting 70 plus caps for a smaller country in a normal situation hence the ability he's showing at a young age but is just landed in a freak situation. 

It's incredible really our goalkeeping situation. Akin to Scotland's left back situation difference is LBs can be accomadated around the pitch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic