You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squad for Upcoming Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:08pm
How can Kenny warrant having horgan and collins in his squads?like what could he say that could support any of the two lads been in his squad, it is so stupid.

Edited by aviva8 - 04 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by delidamo delidamo wrote:

Squad starting to have really settled look to it now. Collins the one for me who isn't caliber of striker we need, would sooner a younger prospect get a chance, Scully perhaps.

I'd add Hourihane to the "not good enough" list. Like Collins, severe lack of mobility & quality on the ball in open play. But also lack of wanting to get on the ball, or make a tackle. The sooner Kilkenny comes in the better, we need more depth in CM (particularly the no.6)
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:46pm
I think Hourihane has gone through spells at club level which warrant his selection. I don't think he has ever played well in an Ireland jersey particularly, but he is there on merit. Kilkenny will definitely be eyeing up that position in thr squad though and it could be his by March. Horgan I think played well in his first few appearances under Kenny and has kept his place in the squad, but don't think he is an international level player.

Collins I'd agree on. I don't think he ever was or ever will be an international level striker. Yes he is a different type of option but when do we intend on using an option like that? I'd rather see Obafemi or Connolly, even Maguire in there than Collins. But overall its a good squad and one we can't complain about. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

How can Kenny warrant having horgan and collins in his squads?like what could he say that could support any of the two lads been in his squad, it is so stupid.

Just because you don't rate them doesn't mean that Kenny doesn't.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yeah I think it was abundantly clear that the poster recognised Kenny saw something in them from the comment you responded to.

He was asking what it was, as because based on their performances with us to date it defies belief that somebody could see something positive in either.

But instead you decided to confirm that he might rate them? LOL

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:52pm
More than a few of the players in the squad have barely kicked a ball since the last internationals.

Idah has about 15mins 
Doherty has probably had fewer than that.

Others like hourihane, molumby, knight too but mostly due to injury.

SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:03pm
Kenny just doesn’t convince me but that’s for another day. However in terms of this squad clearly he has dropped Connolly (deservedly) yet he comes out with some bluster about him being kinda injured even tho Potter contradicts that. Ffs Kenny be a leader, communicate clearly, make decisions & stand by them.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yeah I think it was abundantly clear that the poster recognised Kenny saw something in them from the comment you responded to.

He was asking what it was, as because based on their performances with us to date it defies belief that somebody could see something positive in either.

But instead you decided to confirm that he might rate them? LOL

Confused
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

More than a few of the players in the squad have barely kicked a ball since the last internationals.

Idah has about 15mins 
Doherty has probably had fewer than that.

Others like hourihane, molumby, knight too but mostly due to injury.

Knight and Molumby strange ones to pick out there. Knight has played 3 full games and probably will again this weekend. Molumby has played in 4 games since October too.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:17am
Daryl Horgan and James Collins - Kenny building for the future 😩Thumbs Up
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:39am
I would imagine with players coming through of late and with the next group of games coming in March that this will probably be the last squad for some of these players.

Hourihane, horgan, james Collins will likely be replaced with Kilkenny, Coventry, taylor who are taking steps.

Loan moves for Idah and Connolly in January likely. 
Obafemi might come back in. Scully and parrott will be better for more games.

All in all I think the March squad will look very different to this squad. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
No surprises in the announcement to be fair. Horgan & Collins probably shouldn't be included but Kenny clearly has favourites and didn't want to make any big changes. 

The March friendlies will be an ideal time to see what Kilkenny, Scully, Taylor & Smallbone have to offer.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I would imagine with players coming through of late and with the next group of games coming in March that this will probably be the last squad for some of these players.

Hourihane, horgan, james Collins will likely be replaced with Kilkenny, Coventry, taylor who are taking steps.

Loan moves for Idah and Connolly in January likely. 
Obafemi might come back in. Scully and parrott will be better for more games.

All in all I think the March squad will look very different to this squad. 

I hope you're right on all of this. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm
Coleman likely to play only one of the games according to Kenny due to the demands on his hamstrings.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Coleman likely to play only one of the games according to Kenny due to the demands on his hamstrings.

Then it should be the Lux game imo
Idah Dream!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:05pm

This is a good sign that Kenny is doing a good job as it's business as usual again with squad announcement resulting in a why are they in when x could be in there instead. 

And not one post in the Stephen Kenny thread either Shocked
It would damage this forums' reputation
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 12:08pm
Callum O'Dowda called up as James Collins withdraws.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Callum O'Dowda called up as James Collins withdraws.

Target man striker pulls out. Winger called up..

I assumed Collins was in as the physical man up top option. Why bother have him. Better options than Collins if it's just player based decision and not role of player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic