Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squad for Upcoming Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squad for Upcoming Games
    Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
Ireland squad (v Portugal and Luxembourg)

Goalkeepers: Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Gavin Bazunu (Portsmouth, on loan from Manchester City), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Manning (Swansea City), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion), John Egan (Sheffield United), Andrew Omobamidele (Norwich City), Nathan Collins (Burnley).

Midfielders: Conor Hourihane (Sheffield United, on loan from Aston Villa), Josh Cullen (Anderlecht), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Jason Knight (Derby County), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jamie McGrath (St. Mirren).

Forwards: Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Troy Parrott (MK Dons, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Idah (Norwich City), James Collins (Cardiff City), Will Keane (Wigan Athletic), Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Daryl Horgan (Wycombe Wanderers).

Shaking my head at Horgans inclusion. 
Here we go again
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:27pm
Collins and horgan selections are crazy (but not a surprise) for me. I would personally have connolly(maybe he injured)ronan, obafemi and maybe elbouzedi ahead of Collins, horgan, hourihane but other then that the squad is give or take ok.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:32pm
apart from Connolly, nothing really of note.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:45pm
Probably SK's least anticipated squad.
Nothing to discuss really and it'll be March before we see some new faces, if we even do then.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Probably SK's least anticipated squad.
Nothing to discuss really and it'll be March before we see some new faces, if we even do then.

Makes sense though. Stick with what he knows, and what has been part of the relative improvement since the Andorra. If he can secure two decent results and snag third spot it will ensure he has the time to be able to look at further work in the new year.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:00pm
No qualms about that squad, you could say Hogan might deserve to be there over Collins or Scully over Horgan but truth be told neither are going to have much of an impact or even get minutes of the field.

For first time since Kenny took over the squad is relatively settled now. We know whos going to be in and whos going to be out before a squad is named. They're finally gelling as a group both on and off the pitch, leave them be. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

No qualms about that squad, you could say Hogan might deserve to be there over Collins or Scully over Horgan but truth be told neither are going to have much of an impact or even get minutes of the field.

For first time since Kenny took over the squad is relatively settled now. We know whos going to be in and whos going to be out before a squad is named. They're finally gelling as a group both on and off the pitch, leave them be. 

Yeah, & I think this is the least amount of actual injuries Kenny's had for a squad announcement since September 2020. Usually it's been 12+, currently I think it's just:
O'Shea, Connolly, Arter, McCarthy (?) - Injured

Clark & Lenihan not included. Randolph, Brady, O'Dowda, S.Long & Byrne not playing, but the squad has really gelled over the last few months without those lads.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:28pm
How Clark keeps getting overlooked is beyond me 

He's a rare premier league player in our pool 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm
which centre back woud you drop.  

It would be like buying a outdoor dining set in September as its warm outside 
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:33pm
Given that we play three at the back it wouldn't be unreasonable to include a fifth centre back - especially with Scales not there as utility cover this time around.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Given that we play three at the back it wouldn't be unreasonable to include a fifth centre back - especially with Scales not there as utility cover this time around.

4 is enough with Coleman, Manning and Stevens all able to play either as a RCB / LCB if needed.

Clark is in a team 2nd bottom of the Premier League with the 2nd worst defensive record, hes hardly setting the world alight. Hes also just not very good with the ball at his feet and he also didnt make a very good account of himself when called upon in March against Serbia and Luxembourg.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

How Clark keeps getting overlooked is beyond me 

He's a rare premier league player in our pool 

He was poor vs Serbia & Lux back in March, he was subbed off 60mins into the Lux game. Omobamideles performances have been notably better.

Though perhaps there's a lingering injury issue with Clark we aren't aware of. He was injured most of last year. He's also 32 now

Manning is playing LCB in a back 3 for Swansea this season. Coleman, Stevens & even Doherty can also fill in if needed. Though I agree, they could include a 5th proper CB, Lenihan would be my pick.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:58pm

4 is enough with Coleman, Manning and Stevens all able to play either as a RCB / LCB if needed.

Clark is in a team 2nd bottom of the Premier League with the 2nd worst defensive record, hes hardly setting the world alight. Hes also just not very good with the ball at his feet and he also didnt make a very good account of himself when called upon in March against Serbia and Luxembourg.

It would be interesting to see who he drops in that case when O'Shea comes back. However I suspect that when Egan, Duffy, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins are all fit, he'll decide that five centre backs will in fact be the right number at that point.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 4:10pm

It would be interesting to see who he drops in that case when O'Shea comes back. However I suspect that when Egan, Duffy, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins are all fit, he'll decide that five centre backs will in fact be the right number at that point.

True although all 5 have rarely been fit together to date. Egan and Collins both missed periods of last season through injury and then theres O'Shea out at present this season.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 4:15pm

All five were in the initial squad named for September so more than likely they'll be named again if fit.

Hopefully after November we see less of Hourihane at international level.
delidamo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delidamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 4:56pm
Squad starting to have really settled look to it now. Collins the one for me who isn't caliber of striker we need, would sooner a younger prospect get a chance, Scully perhaps.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 5:18pm
This is true, for the first time in a long time there's a sense of stability to the squads coming through, built around the 3-4-2-1 that we will hopefully stick to moving forward, even if we lose Anthony Barry's services at some point.

Bazunu
                        Kelleher
                         Travers

Duffy     Egan    O'Shea    
          Collins   O'dele Manning  
Coleman                                 Stevens
Doherty                                   McClean
                 Cullen    Hendrick
              Molumby Hourihane

Knight                Robinson
          McGrath               Parrott
          Browne                Horgan
          Ogbene                           
                           Idah
                       Connolly
                         Collins
                          Keane

That seems to be roughly the depth chart in each position at the moment (though the forward positions are probably more interchangeable than that). Beyond that, anyone wanting to break in to the squad needs to knock one of those players out.

Edited by You Tell Me - 04 Nov 2021 at 5:23pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by delidamo delidamo wrote:

Squad starting to have really settled look to it now. Collins the one for me who isn't caliber of striker we need, would sooner a younger prospect get a chance, Scully perhaps.

Collins has had a miserable season, is sorely lacking game time, and has gone approximately 20 games without scoring. I don't see the point of persisting with him. It's not like he's a Daryl Murphy or even Caleb Folan type.

I'd make room for Obafemi. He offers something different and it's arguable that he's the most natural goalscorer available at this level.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic