Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squad Depth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squad Depth
    Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:12pm
The one major positive from this campaign is the increased squad depth we have now with the emergence of the likes of Connolly, Cullen, Parrott, O'Hara, Travers, Byrne, O'Connor etc.

Maguire and Robinson have plenty of room to improve, Browne done well tonight and is slowly but surely finding his feet at this level and Egan/Stevens have been massive finds (since stepping up) and Williams was ok against NZ (granted not a great barometer) 

Defensive depth is a worry mind, hopefully Nathan Collins can regain his place in the Stoke team, Ryan Manning continues to perform well for QPR and maybe Kevin Long can find a new club where he will play regularly will all be welcome.

The whole dynamic of the squad for me looks brighter and more positive anyway and touchwood some of the players mentioned above will find loan moves in the short term and get playing week in week out Thumbs Up 

I know posters may have different opinions on this but I'm not suggested the whole complexion of the first 11 has changed but at least there's genuine competition in certain areas now finally.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:17pm
Agree we have a good crop coming through. This campaign was maybe one campaign too early.

For all the criticism Mccarthy has had at least he's used the friendlies to bring in new lads unlike MON. 

I think defender wise we're ok

Duffy, Egan, Clark, as you say if long gets a move it would be good. 
Collins will be in there too if he kicks on, Williams can also play CB too. 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 18 Nov 2019 at 11:24pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:20pm
Begrudgery? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Begrudgery? 

Sorry meant to say criticism LOL
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:57pm
Fast forward a year on tonight's evidence, signs are good for the future.

Browne did fine when he came on, Robinson while not highly effective this evening is starting to find his feet and looked more comfortable at this level in this new system, Connolly absence is now seen as a big loss which tells you of his trajectory etc with Molomby and Idah firmly in the managers plans I think it's all very positive.

While it's annoying that we won't be going to the Euro's, I feel the long term growth of the team won't be hampered too much by not making it either. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Browne did fine when he came on, Robinson while not highly effective this evening is starting to find his feet and looked more comfortable at this level in this new system, Connolly absence is now seen as a big loss which tells you of his trajectory etc with Molomby and Idah firmly in the managers plans I think it's all very positive.

While it's annoying that we won't be going to the Euro's, I feel the long term growth of the team won't be hampered too much by not making it either. 

Yep. Chance to have set up a few friendlies next summer and try things out. Games between now and then are competitive games so not much room to try things out

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Absolutely! Totally agree and am quite positive overall after tonight's performance. Thought Robinson was a bright spark and you could see his confidence from club form. 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:35pm
Dec 2024 we could be watching a new documentary on the ROI team in the Euro 2024 finals and it will all start with showing the game tonight and the end of some good players who gave it there all for Ireland 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Dec 2024 we could be watching a new documentary on the ROI team in the Euro 2024 finals and it will all start with showing the game tonight and the end of some good players who gave it there all for Ireland 

We’ll still be waiting on a vaccine and just entering the 17th wave 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

We’ll still be waiting on a vaccine and just entering the 17th wave 

the night is bad enough without mentioning Dr Tony and Co 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 2:55pm
As I said on another thread the one area we are lacking is on the right wing, be it an out and out winger or someone capable of cutting inside onto their left.

O'Dowda and Robinson have both been used in the last few games, Long and Brady too for spells. but it's an area for concern as all of the above I believe are better on the left (Long obviously not as he's a CF)

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

As I said on another thread the one area we are lacking is on the right wing, be it an out and out winger or someone capable of cutting inside onto their left.

O'Dowda and Robinson have both been used in the last few games, Long and Brady too for spells. but it's an area for concern as all of the above I believe are better on the left (Long obviously not as he's a CF)

Yeah, this is a long term issue. Kenny favours quick direct wingers who can pose a scoring threat. That’s why he likes O’Dowda, but we really don’t have anybody to own that role. It’s a bit of a weak spot underage also. Unless Kenny changes his way of thinking, I don’t see Robbie Brady playing that role too often. He’s clearly lost some pace. 

You might say Keiran Sadlier, Daryl Horgan, Ogbene, Zac Elbouzedi could play that role, but they’re all scrapping around in middling leagues. The alternative would be to look to Obafemi to play there, or start fishing in the eligibility pool for a Nathan Redmond type. Not promising.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 3:14pm
I still worry about midfield, honestly. We lack a midfielder of real class and vision who can consistently perform at this level. Both Hourihane and Hendrick have as many good moments as bad, and most of the others are hard working journeymen like Alan Brown.

Before anybody mentions Jack Byrne, I still have high hopes for him too. He’s just got to show the consistency to go with his talent.

Watching Hamsik last night was eye-opening. Even at a canter in his retirement years he has the decision making and touch of a top player. That brain is missing from our midfield. Hopefully one of the next crop can step up 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I still worry about midfield, honestly. We lack a midfielder of real class and vision who can consistently perform at this level. Both Hourihane and Hendrick have as many good moments as bad, and most of the others are hard working journeymen like Alan Brown.

Before anybody mentions Jack Byrne, I still have high hopes for him too. He’s just got to show the consistency to go with his talent.

Watching Hamsik last night was eye-opening. Even at a canter in his retirement years he has the decision making and touch of a top player. That brain is missing from our midfield. Hopefully one of the next crop can step up 

Think Browne will be more than a journeyman based on what i saw against Denmark at home and last night. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 3:29pm
Zac Elbouzedi was who Kenny played on the right most of the time during his U21 stint but yeah it's a big step up.

I think of the current crop over the last few games O'Dowda has shown the most promise in the position.

I actually think we have good depth in CM

Hendrick, Hourihane, Browne, Cullen, McCarthy, Arter, Molumby, Byrne with the likes Ronan, Knight, Coventry, Smallbone all options from U21's to step up.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 4:47pm
When you see who was called up today,  I think Kenny's needs to do his best to try and get a few granny rules/eligible players into the squad, if at all possible
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

When you see who was called up today,  I think Kenny's needs to do his best to try and get a few granny rules/eligible players into the squad, if at all possible

Sadly this is spot on. 

We're in a position where we are playing players that have zero or just a few minutes of game time.

Brady should not be selected until he's had any sort of impact at club level. He's played for ireland when he's only played 656mins for his club over the last 2 seasons in all competitions. (Thats 7.2 games)

Odowda again has barely touched a ball for ages.

Shane Long is a bench warmer for the foreseeable future.

Mcclean is not in the Stoke squad some weeks

So whats the answer - dara oshea is playing week in week out, Jason Knight is playing. Thats a start. 

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Sadly this is spot on. 

We're in a position where we are playing players that have zero or just a few minutes of game time.

Brady should not be selected until he's had any sort of impact at club level. He's played for ireland when he's only played 656mins for his club over the last 2 seasons in all competitions. (Thats 7.2 games)

Odowda again has barely touched a ball for ages.

Shane Long is a bench warmer for the foreseeable future.

Mcclean is not in the Stoke squad some weeks

So whats the answer - dara oshea is playing week in week out, Jason Knight is playing. Thats a start. 

Agreed but I'd keep the U-21s as strong as possible to see if they can qualify. With no Euros for the seniors,  we could send a really strong squad to that u-21 tournament
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic