You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speeding Fines in U.K. on an Irish licence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speeding Fines in U.K. on an Irish licence
    Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:12am
Hired a car from Europacar recently to go to wales from London

A month after the trip I got a letter from Europcar saying I had been caught doing 37mph in a 30mph zone in wales. The tramps gave my details to the Welsh police and charged me a £40 admin fee for doing this. They sent a copy of the fine to me and then a few days later the same fine came from the Welsh police.

Fast forward to last Thursday and another letter from europcar. On the same day 150 miles down the f**kin road I got nailed again

It says (65mph) in a temporary 50 mph motorway limit for roadworks.   I got done at 1am in the f**king morning. Not a roadworks or machine in site. Euopcar charged me another £40 for sending out the letter again .

So far £80 for 2 f**king letters and hanging me to the Welsh and U.K. Police force. What a shower of pricks.

Will prob get the official letter from them this week.

The Thing is. I'm living in London over 2 years. Europcar gave the police the address that's on my Irish licence which is my Irish address. So I'm going to go down the route of saying I never received the letter as I don't live there. I've 10 years left on my Irish licence so won't be changing it for a uk one any time soon. Some say I cannot get the uk points on an Irish licence and they go on a "ghost uk one" and will be on it should I ever change

Any other recommendations?..... apart from don't speed

Edited by daboi89 - 19 Jun 2017 at 8:37am
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:08am
Yeah..fcuk them. I'd go down I never got them route and in the meantime get a new card so them other ***ts cant charge you admin fees. You may have to face up to it though should you be pulled over by the cops and they do a check. 
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Yeah..fcuk them. I'd go down I never got them route and in the meantime get a new card so them other ***ts cant charge you admin fees. You may have to face up to it though should you be pulled over by the cops and they do a check. 

Will have to pay the 2x£40 fees otherwise I'll be blacklisted on the car hire database

Ye wouldn't know down the line when I would have to hire a car again
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:01pm
Brother in law is a brit  and i managed to offload 2 points onto his license a few years ago, Ireland cant endorse UK license so I presume its the same over there once you hang onto your Irish license.Thumbs Up
Why no wine??!
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:14pm
You can only drive in the UK on an Irish licence for 2 years after becoming resident before having to have it exchanged for a UK licence. Driving after 2 years risks the vehicle being impounded and worse still your insurance is void.

I'm not sure if there's any implications if you've skipped fines in the past and then try to replace your Irish licence​ with the UK version.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

You can only drive in the UK on an Irish licence for 2 years after becoming resident before having to have it exchanged for a UK licence. Driving after 2 years risks the vehicle being impounded and worse still your insurance is void.

I'm not sure if there's any implications if you've skipped fines in the past and then try to replace your Irish licence​ with the UK version.

My national insurance number registered to Meath

My uk bank account registered to Meath

I'm not registered to vote

Have proof of about 10 trips to Ireland in the last 12 months

=non resident

Edited by daboi89 - 19 Jun 2017 at 2:25pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:31pm
Just saying like

Edited by colemanY2K - 19 Jun 2017 at 3:00pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 2:43pm
Bloody foreigners, coming over here, taking our jobs. Just as well the Brexit is coming in !!!!!
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 7:36pm
Count yourself lucky . Green Motion Glasgow charged me €99.19 x2 5 minutes apart for driving in a bus lane on a Sunday. City council sent x2 tickets for the offences aswell £120 . The car rental already had the money so I'll take that on the chin . As for the actual tickets they can go f**k them selves . I was caught awhile ago speeding into Larne Port in my Uk register car and got the ticket sent to Glasgow and it was forwarded to me in Dublin and that went in the bin . I haven't actually ever been stopped in the uk by the police but I'm dreading it now with x3 tickets outstanding .
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:57pm
I thought you can drive in bus lanes on Sundays?
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:27pm

I thought you can drive in bus lanes on Sundays?

Dunno I f**ked the tickets in the bin and didn't bother following it up. More than likely they are on the ball once money is involved

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/one-fine-every-four-minutes-7281715.amp
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 8:23pm

That's not enforced. My (stupid) Irish mate got done for drink driving in a car park a few years ago. Went to court, got ten points on his licence. They went to take the licence off him and when they realised it was an Irish one, they gave it back to him and told him that he would have to get a UK one with the ten points on it. The DVLA gave him ten points on a 'ghost' UK license but never chased him up on changing the Irish one and then three years later the 10 points expired on the ghost licence. He's still driving around on the Irish licence and he's over here nearly ten years.

Had another mate who got in a small crash in traffic one day and the cops told her she had to change her license as well when they found out she was living over here for about 7 years. She was upset about the crash, he turned out to be decent and got chatting to her and told her that it's not really enforceable either so she kept the Irish licence.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

That's not enforced. My (stupid) Irish mate got done for drink driving in a car park a few years ago. Went to court, got ten points on his licence. They went to take the licence off him and when they realised it was an Irish one, they gave it back to him and told him that he would have to get a UK one with the ten points on it. The DVLA gave him ten points on a 'ghost' UK license but never chased him up on changing the Irish one and then three years later the 10 points expired on the ghost licence. He's still driving around on the Irish licence and he's over here nearly ten years.

Had another mate who got in a small crash in traffic one day and the cops told her she had to change her license as well when they found out she was living over here for about 7 years. She was upset about the crash, he turned out to be decent and got chatting to her and told her that it's not really enforceable either so she kept the Irish licence.

Are you even insured is the pertinent question?

To counter what you said el nino was telling me he knows two people who were left on the side of the road after the cops towed their cars away. Both were told it was because they were living and driving here over the permitted time on an Irish licence.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 9:47am

To counter what you said el nino was telling me he knows two people who were left on the side of the road after the cops towed their cars away. Both were told it was because they were living and driving here over the permitted time on an Irish licence.

I think you could be right about the insurance . I have been told to get mine sorted and get my UK car sorted to Ireland and registered here so I presume it's vice versa . Also the VRT would need to be paid
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 12:47pm

Would an EU licence not be valid in another EU country?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 9:52am

My mate is insured and always has been over here on his Irish driving license. You only have to inform the insurance company of penalty points on your license and as he had an Irish one, and not the ghost UK one with the ten penalty points, it was never an issue. He also has been done for speeding, doing 37 in a 30 zone about a year ago and again just paid the fine and no follow up from the DVLA about changing it over.
In the second instance above, car wasn't taken off my female friend and there was no follow up either.

You can have a British licence in Ireland and use it as long as it is valid/until you hit 70 years of age, whichever is sooner. It's the same in the UK for an Irish one. They can tell you to change it but they can't enforce it cos of the EU. That will obviously change with Brexit. That two or three year obligation to change it over is only for citizens of countries that issue lifelong driving licenses like Germany.

Edited by seaniemac - 26 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 11:54am
It appears the rules may have been changed since I looked into this issue last year. I can't seem to find on the DVLA site the need for replacing your EU licence after 2 years. It may still be there but the website has changed and that requirement may no longer be there.

I screenshot the requirements last year and posted them on a WhatsApp group when we were discussing the issue. Must have a look for them.

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 Jun 2017 at 12:01pm
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
I think the key thing is they can 'encourage' you to change the license to a UK one but they can't actually make you if you don't want to. As long as your Irish license is valid, you can use it over here if you live here. I'll ask my mate later on today to see when his license is up for renewal.

One of my UK mates is living in Ireland a number of years and has been pulled over a few times for speeding (not in built up areas, on main roads travelling around the country) and has been told a few times that his UK license is a very valuable thing to have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic