You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Africa
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Anyone any experiences from here? 

Me and the Missus are heading in December for two weeks or just over. Had it priced in Virgin and a few others, but i've absolutely no idea where to stay in Cape Town, V&A Waterfront keeps being mentioned? i've absolutely no idea what that is, I pictured being beside a beech. Also should I bring a gun and bullet proof vest to Johannesburg.

Any tips would be great! 

Thank you Big smile

I'd have wanted the seaside, rather than the leafy suburbs.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:37pm
There on honeymoon a few years back, absolutely loved it. Would go back in the morning if could.

Stayed 5/6 nights in Cape Town, loads to see & do there. Stayed close to the Waterfront but not on it, it's very expensive there from what I can remember. Place is grand during the day but didnt venture down the town at night, just to the Waterfront which had loads going on. Camps Bay is on the beach but would be pricey. Anywhere within walking distance to the Waterfront would be grand to stay

We got a car then and drove along the coast over to Port Elizabeth over 10 days or so with a few stops along the way. Hermanus, Knysna, Plettenburg & soemwhere else. Did a few trips from them places too. Finished off with a Safari and flew home from PE. 

Didn't go to Johannesburg but even the locals in the places we were in were telling us not to, supposed to be a mad spot

If can be any more help let me know

Some people just deserve a slap
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:31pm
It’s a great holiday. Did it about 10 years ago.

Cape Town - stay near the VA waterfront
Table mountain 
Robben Island
Book a wine tour (Stellenbosch ?)
Shark diving 

Drive the garden route
Do the biggest bungee jump in the world

safari in Kruger 
Victoria falls

AVOID joburg

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 17 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:02pm
joburg is a mad spot

Was on a conference call the other day with someone from there, I actually asked is it as rough as they state it is.

He recalled a time when he was driving to work and someone came up broke his window (YOU NEVER DRIVE WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN IN JOBURG) proceeded to mug him, this mugger was then mugged by someone else, who walked back up his car and said because he had helped him he was going to keep some his stuff as compensation for helping him and gave him back about half of what the other guy who was lying on the side of the road with blood pouring from a head wound had taken from him initially
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:05pm
f**kin hell LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:20pm
Unreal spot mate, was there for my honeymoon in January and I must say it was one of the best trips I have ever being on. Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. My Trip is below and a few pointers: 

Spent the first 2 nights at the Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa. It’s a beach area and it costs about €10 in an UBER to Cape Town. Just wanted a day or 2 at the beach after the wedding to chill just before we got into it. 

Spent 4 nights then in Cape Town in an Apartment Designer Lofts on Prestwich. Perfect for walking into the Waterfront during the day but an UBER home is recommended after dark.  While in Cape Town we sent a day around the Waterfront checking the place out, day out to Robben Island and booked 2 days tickets for the hop on hop off and a return ticket up Table mountain. I would pick up a MIFI dongle when you arrive. Can give more infor about Cape Town if you need it but personally I think it was one of the best cities I have ever visited. 

Spent 2 days then in Franschhoek. There is a hop on hop off train/bus to about 100 wineries and its pretty spectacular. Brought back about 15 bottles of top red wine that retails in Ireland for about €150+ a bottle but got it locally for about €30 a bottle. Stayed at the Kruger House Luxury Suites Guest house. Waterford and Jordan’s winery are a must! 

Stayed then in Gansbai then to do the shark diving which is a must, I would say though I would change it to stay in Hermanus instead. 

1 night then at the Garden Route Game Reserve for a safari. Absolutely brilliant but 1day/1night is more than enough doing a safari. 

2 nights in Knysna and stayed at aha The Rex Hotel and Knysna is a cracking little town. 

2 nights in Plettenburg Bay at the Milkwood Manor On Sea and Plett is a surfing town and it reminded me of somewhere along the east coast of Oz. Cracking spot and fanny everywhere 

2 night at Tsitsikamma Village Inn in the national Park. Brilliant for trekking and the likes. I also did the Worlds tallest bungee jump there. 100% do it unreal! 

Skipped Port Elizabeth

1 night in Addo elephant park. You basically drive around a huge reserve and spot animals at your own leisure. It’s unreal. 

Flew back from there and skipped all other cities. Give me a shout if you need any information at all about any of the places where we stayed or what to do? 

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 17 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

joburg is a mad spot

Was on a conference call the other day with someone from there, I actually asked is it as rough as they state it is.

He recalled a time when he was driving to work and someone came up broke his window (YOU NEVER DRIVE WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN IN JOBURG) proceeded to mug him, this mugger was then mugged by someone else, who walked back up his car and said because he had helped him he was going to keep some his stuff as compensation for helping him and gave him back about half of what the other guy who was lying on the side of the road with blood pouring from a head wound had taken from him initially

Surrelism 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

Unreal spot mate, was there for my honeymoon in January and I must say it was one of the best trips I have ever being on. Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. My Trip is below and a few pointers: 

Spent the first 2 nights at the Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa. It’s a beach area and it costs about €10 in an UBER to Cape Town. Just wanted a day or 2 at the beach after the wedding to chill just before we got into it. 

Spent 4 nights then in Cape Town in an Apartment Designer Lofts on Prestwich. Perfect for walking into the Waterfront during the day but an UBER home is recommended after dark.  While in Cape Town we sent a day around the Waterfront checking the place out, day out to Robben Island and booked 2 days tickets for the hop on hop off and a return ticket up Table mountain. I would pick up a MIFI dongle when you arrive. Can give more infor about Cape Town if you need it but personally I think it was one of the best cities I have ever visited. 

Spent 2 days then in Franschhoek. There is a hop on hop off train/bus to about 100 wineries and its pretty spectacular. Brought back about 15 bottles of top red wine that retails in Ireland for about €150+ a bottle but got it locally for about €30 a bottle. Stayed at the Kruger House Luxury Suites Guest house. Waterford and Jordan’s winery are a must! 

Stayed then in Gansbai then to do the shark diving which is a must, I would say though I would change it to stay in Hermanus instead. 

1 night then at the Garden Route Game Reserve for a safari. Absolutely brilliant but 1day/1night is more than enough doing a safari. 

2 nights in Knysna and stayed at aha The Rex Hotel and Knysna is a cracking little town. 

2 nights in Plettenburg Bay at the Milkwood Manor On Sea and Plett is a surfing town and it reminded me of somewhere along the east coast of Oz. Cracking spot and fanny everywhere 

2 night at Tsitsikamma Village Inn in the national Park. Brilliant for trekking and the likes. I also did the Worlds tallest bungee jump there. 100% do it unreal! 

Skipped Port Elizabeth

1 night in Addo elephant park. You basically drive around a huge reserve and spot animals at your own leisure. It’s unreal. 

Flew back from there and skipped all other cities. Give me a shout if you need any information at all about any of the places where we stayed or what to do? 

Thanks buddy that’s fantastic! Me and the girlfriend googled everywhere you mentioned there. We’d planned 7 or even 8 nights in Cape Town.
Cape Town looks an awesome city, we where looking at a hotel in Camps Bay, any idea how far that would be to the Waterfront then? Also, is it as cheap as everyone mentions or has prices went up in general for just food/drink. I want to head out to the beach with the penguins for a day that’s top of my list if I’m honest.
I think we’re looking to chill out but have stuff to do in the evening and trips to go stuff. So I’m assuming that’d be enough time.

Not sure if the winery thing would appeal to her at all. Going to Robin Island will be a push never mind that!

Some of the hotels for the safaris are wild prices, I guess
I’ll not be doing it again until I’m an old man. But we’d looked at 2 nights and there wasn’t much change left from €1500. Seen Branson has one as well into the 2300 a night range. 

Plettenberg Bay looks lovely! Did you drive? Looking at that option we’d originally been priced with flights eberywhee but if it’s safe
Enough I wouldn’t mind driving the coastal route. Priced it up ourselves reckom we can save well over €1500 with a night stop in Dubai or Doha to kill the flight times. 

The lads I work for give me December off which limits where
You can go on holidays but it seems to be ideal in SA and ticks a few boxes of the bucket list. 

Camps Bay is Beautiful and the Hop on Hop off bus stops off at the beach. Tiger Milk is a deadly bar there. Had a few pints there one day. There are a few other beaches up at Clifton and Bantry Bay. All within 2km of each other. Loads of fanny around that area. Again its under 10 euro for an Uber. No problem to walk it during day but an Uber back at home at night.

I think find it cheap enough and the grub is unreal. About 2 euro or 2.50 for a pint. Try all the game meat. Kudo is the best meat I have ever tasted. They love their Japanese food over also. I would recommend the Sevruga Restaurant at the Waterfront. When also in Cape Town I would defo book the full experience at the Gold Restaurant. It’s a African dance night and up get to try about 20 different types of food. It’s also worth going to Greenmarket Square to see the stalls. Go any day except for Sunday as the CBD is less packed and pickpockets and robberies happen more often then. I defo think 5 days should cover you also. You will lose a day up table mountain and heading out to Robben island.  Another day on the hop on hop off. We did it over 2 days been honest and another day at the Waterfront.

Cant recommend the safari we did enough.

Yes we drove from CP to PE and stopped off along the way. Its perfectly safe. Defo drive.

I got the flights as posted below for €650 each.

eparture
06:00 Wed, 2 Jan

Cork (Ireland) - Cork International (ORK)

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 
KL 3170

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 

Arrival
08:55 Wed, 2 Jan

Amsterdam (Netherlands) - Schiphol (AMS)

Aircraft type - 320

Class - Economy

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/e9oKyb0z7Mx9s2vM-Z-_E7o_OcpZ4KBofhjKJ6OU5hO0Age46GWlkBUEX2q7LY4xyWcXJo8Svdz1xldbvmS-LLmsAW2g=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.edreams.es/images/shared/new/conect.png

Connection - Change plane Check with airline for boarding time and gate! 
Transfer duration: 1 hour 20 minutes

Departure
10:15 Wed, 2 Jan

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 
KL 597

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 

Arrival
22:35 Wed, 2 Jan

Cape Town (South Africa) - Cape Town International Airport (CPT)

Aircraft type - 77W

Class - Economy

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/jLcGdOmMaCWhXWV54Gy5yp5IJ_Tcyb99KL7yIlWpLYcOjd7MaxsC5t3gwsprtKbqWEc9_g6r7OefiYqWuenE5dmrN80qgK1QYQdjTQpQSg=s0-d-e1-ft#http://a1.odistatic.net/images/OP/conf_email/f_departure.gif

Flight 2
Duration:
16 hours 40 minutes

Departure
19:50 Sat, 19 Jan

Johannesburg (South Africa) - OR Tambo International Airport (JNB)

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 
KL 2147

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 

Arrival
05:45 Sun, 20 Jan

Paris (France) - Charles De Gaulle (CDG)

Aircraft type - 388

Class - Economy

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/e9oKyb0z7Mx9s2vM-Z-_E7o_OcpZ4KBofhjKJ6OU5hO0Age46GWlkBUEX2q7LY4xyWcXJo8Svdz1xldbvmS-LLmsAW2g=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.edreams.es/images/shared/new/conect.png

Transfer duration: 1 hour 25 minutes

Departure
07:10 Sun, 20 Jan

Paris (France) - Charles De Gaulle (CDG)

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 
KL 2002

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 

Arrival
08:35 Sun, 20 Jan

Aircraft type - 321

Class - Economy

Transfer duration: 1 hour 05 minutes

Departure
09:40 Sun, 20 Jan

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 
KL 3171

Klm Royal Dutch Airlines 

Arrival
10:30 Sun, 20 Jan

Cork (Ireland) - Cork International (ORK)

Aircraft type - 320

Class - Econom

Let me know if ya want anymore info

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:44am
We stayed in the Southern Sun Cullinane in Cape Town for the time we were there. Close to the Waterfront, was a nice spot. Got the car then and stayed in Hermanus for 2 nights for the whale watching and then on along the coast. Cant remember the name of a couple of the places but stayed in The Beach Hotel in Port Elizabeth (on the beach as the name suggests). Place in Plettenberg was a 10 minute drive outside the town, Hog Hollow. Out in a forest, no tv's. Breakfast on the deck with everyone else & the staff watching on ready to chase away any of the monkeys who do be eyeing up the food on the tables. 

The safari we did was in Kariega, a few hours drive from PE. Savage, absolutely loved it

Didn't do any wine tours as didn't have the interest. Did the shark diving and whale watching, up Table Mountain, tour around Cape Town, Robben Island (you can't go to Cape Town and not visit it) & loads more

We did it through Trailfinders at the time, they looked after everything once we'd agreed on the stops we wants etc

It's such a lovely place and the people were so nice. The food was unreal. There is a lot of poverty though in the townships coming into and leaving most towns which is tough viewing and Cape Town isn't the safest spot after dark (Waterfront area aside) but everywhere else was grand safety wise.
Some people just deserve a slap
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 3:14am
Any high end steak houses in Capetown that you'd recommend? 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:46am
ate at the Cattle Baron De Waterkant. but i'd recommend Gold Restaurant. small bit pricey but worth it over a high end steak house. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

ate at the Cattle Baron De Waterkant. but i'd recommend Gold Restaurant. small bit pricey but worth it over a high end steak house. 

Thank you! 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:27pm
Two countries I have no interest in going to.  Sith Ifrica and Australia.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Two countries I have no interest in going to.  Sith Ifrica and Australia.

+1

The accents alone would put you off. 

South Africans have been a shower of coonts ever since they drowned Patsy Kensit Cry
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:16pm

Any excuse to post this. Lee Mack is brilliant.LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:22pm
LOL
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 12:51am
I'd agree with all of the above with one exception - definitely do J'burg!

It's completely manageable from a. crime/security point of view. I went with my missus and she's nervous at the best of times. By the end she said it was the highlight of the holiday. Any amount of tour guides that will meet you at your hotel and bring you around.

It's where all the history is - Soweto, the Apartheid museum etc. and they're all well worth a visit.

My advice is fly in to Cape Town and fly out of J'burg. Most airlines will let you do that
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

I'd agree with all of the above with one exception - definitely do J'burg!

It's completely manageable from a. crime/security point of view. I went with my missus and she's nervous at the best of times. By the end she said it was the highlight of the holiday. Any amount of tour guides that will meet you at your hotel and bring you around.

It's where all the history is - Soweto, the Apartheid museum etc. and they're all well worth a visit.

My advice is fly in to Cape Town and fly out of J'burg. Most airlines will let you do that
Yeah, pretty much everything I would have an interest in there would be in Johannesburg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic