Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound Rangers Men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:56am
Kevin Kyle
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:02am
Jermain Defoe is a good lad, and has always been. 

But he is just one of a number of players who could have played for either Rangers or Celtic. In truth, there are hundreds of players who could have played for one or the other. International players who came to a side challenging for honours and playing in Europe. I would almost guarantee they weren't attracted by anything emotional.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is also hard to dislike Duncan Disorderly.

It's not so hard if you're not too enamoured with violent, cowardly scumbags:

"Ferguson has had four convictions for assault – two arising from taxi rank scuffles, one an altercation with a fisherman in an Anstruther pub, and one for his on-field headbutt on Raith Rovers defender John McStay in 1994 while playing for Rangers, which resulted in a rare conviction for an on-the-field incident.
The first incident led to a £100 fine for headbutting a policeman and a £25 fine for a Breach of the Peace,while the second resulted in a £200 fine for punching and kicking a supporter on crutches. He was sentenced to a year's probation for the third offence. For the 1994 on-the-field headbutting, he received and served a three-month jail term for assault."

I seem to recall reading that not only was the fisherman middle-aged, but was also disabled.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:06am
There are dozens of examples of players who grew up supporting one of the teams but played for the other. 
I'd say for 90% of players it doesn't matter and they'd sign for either side if the offer was right. 

John Hartson was a failed medical away from being a Rangers man

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There are dozens of examples of players who grew up supporting one of the teams but played for the other. 
I'd say for 90% of players it doesn't matter and they'd sign for either side if the offer was right. 

John Hartson was a failed medical away from being a Rangers man

Dalglish being the most obvious example. Think he actually lived almost right beside Ibrox
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Jermain Defoe is a good lad, and has always been. 

But he is just one of a number of players who could have played for either Rangers or Celtic. In truth, there are hundreds of players who could have played for one or the other. International players who came to a side challenging for honours and playing in Europe. I would almost guarantee they weren't attracted by anything emotional.
Hard to like a man who dives that much. Rangers and West Ham is a hard double to take too.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

"Ferguson has had four convictions for assault – two arising from taxi rank scuffles, one an altercation with a fisherman in an Anstruther pub, and one for his on-field headbutt on Raith Rovers defender John McStay in 1994 while playing for Rangers, which resulted in a rare conviction for an on-the-field incident.
The first incident led to a £100 fine for headbutting a policeman and a £25 fine for a Breach of the Peace,while the second resulted in a £200 fine for punching and kicking a supporter on crutches. He was sentenced to a year's probation for the third offence. For the 1994 on-the-field headbutting, he received and served a three-month jail term for assault."

I seem to recall reading that not only was the fisherman middle-aged, but was also disabled.
It is incredibly for me to dislike anyone who headbutts a policeman. I would normally buy them a pint.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:17am
Defoe grew on me, a lot over time. Especially after leaving WH in the way he did. I also really like the fact that rather than calling time on his career, or staying in Canada, he came back and started playing with Sunderland and Bournmouth. I think a lot of players may not do that.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:18am

It is incredibly for me to dislike anyone who headbutts a policeman. I would normally buy them a pint.

So the next time you're in trouble, instead of dialling 999, no doubt you'll phone Everton and ask to be put through to Ferguson then?

Probably for the best, what with that 'ACAB' tattoo on your knuckles...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:23am
There's no situation I would call the police; why on earth would I want to make things worse? I can't see how getting beaten up by a bunch of racists will help.  While I don't have the tattoo I can certainly agree the sentiment. Great song and a decent film too.
f**k 'em and their law.Clap

Edited by pre Madonna - 10 Mar 2021 at 11:23am
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:24am
Gary Waddock and Clive Allen Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:40am
Joey Barton, Andy Goram, Gazza, Ian Black, El Hadji Diouf, Nacho Novo, Ducan Ferguson.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:46am

There's no situation I would call the police

I imagine that will be as much a relief to them as for you!

But still, you're probably right, ACAB, including eg this one:

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:48am

There's no situation I would call the police

I imagine that will be as much a relief to them as for you!

But still, you're probably right, ACAB, including eg this one:

Including all of them. Bad people can do good things and good people can do bad things. ACAB.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:50am
Gazza
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:55am
Lorenzo Amoruso
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:06pm
Archie MacPherson

The voice of Scottish football

Grew up a Rangers supporter but you'd never have known it, was always scrupulously fair

The definition of a true professional

Roddy Forsyth another Rangers man for whom professionalism and fairness was always paramount

Commentators and football journalists like these are badly needed in this age of media super fandom

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:07pm
the Gallen brothers 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic