You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 36373839>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:13pm
Good man Sham, Google search did nothing for me, need a mod refresher course 
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It was on page 2LOL
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It was on page 2LOL

Just keeping you on your toes LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:50am
Johnny Ward did a Podcast for LOI Central with RTE Group Head of Sport about the stations coverage of LOI.

Seems he is saying RTE are not covering LOI as no one is really watching (why soccer republic was shut down) and also said RTE staff are abused at games. So it appears they don't have a big appetite to cover LOI any more than they do.

I guess there are some valid points to that but it's depressing there is not really good support coming from RTE. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Sep 2021 at 11:51am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Johnny Ward did a Podcast for LOI Central with RTE Group Head of Sport about the stations coverage of LOI.

Seems he is saying RTE are not covering LOI as no one is really watching (why soccer republic was shut down) and also said RTE staff are abused at games. So it appears they don't have a big appetite to cover LOI any more than they do.

I guess there are some valid points to that but it's depressing there is not really good support coming from RTE. 

I'd love to see the figures the Rugby Under 20 games get relative to a big LOI game though doubt RTE would release those as they would probably tell a tale.
But at the end of the day RTE are a public service broadcaster paid for partly by licence fees so they should have a responsibility to showcase the biggest participation sport in the country. I think we all know why Soccer Republic had low figures: If you move anything around as much as they did with that and show it late it night then you are guaranteed low figures. 
And the story about the RTE staff being abused at games reminds we of the John Delaney cyber bullying story: Classic deflection. 

Edited by Borussia - 23 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm
yeah very true re the abuse allegation. You have to have thick skin too. Keane for Sky got abuse too. Part and parcel of going to a football match, most of the chants are more for comic reasons, though for sure there was a bit of upset about RTÉ and the lack of coverage of the European sides this season.

Saturday Morning football which would include a round-up of the Friday night games and maybe even a tie in to a Saturday lunch time game would be the best format.
Ok you might clash with a lunch time prem game on BT sports but not everyone has that and the games are often Spurs against Watford etc. 
How many of us loved Italian football when we were younger because of the early morning show

Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:41pm

I was at a pre season club officers thing two years ago and they went through viewing figures. They were abysmal. Soccer Republic at the time was watched on average by about 10-15k people on a good day. The FAI Cup final only attracted viewership of 100k or so.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I was at a pre season club officers thing two years ago and they went through viewing figures. They were abysmal. Soccer Republic at the time was watched on average by about 10-15k people on a good day. The FAI Cup final only attracted viewership of 100k or so.

About viewing figures - are they counted on the basis of how many watched the show at its broadcast time. I never watched SR at its broadcast time but rather recorded it and watched it later.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:29pm
In fairness to McBennett, he probably didn't have to go on the show so should be given credit for that, where many others would decline an appearance. 

At least he gave a rationale for viewing figures, even though he kept stating that it wasn't the sole reason, and what constitutes successful/unsuccessful broadcasts. His explanation for not showing the Bohs and Dundalk ECL games is utter nonsense though. Kept going on about the "champions" protocol they follow, which is fine, but Rovers didn't enter the competition until Bohs and Dundalk had already played 4 games in the competition.

I've about 15 minutes left to listen to so not sure if he outlined any aspirations to broadcast more games on the News now/RTE player channels. 

There's a few things I absolutely agree with him on; 

1. Facilities. If not improved, it's going to be hard to make it attractive viewing. It's the biggest barrier at the moment IMO as the product on the pitch is comparable to every other sport (some average games, some decent games and some excellent games. Very few games are of a really poor standard.
2. RTE are doing more than other broadcasters. Virgin shows even less interest than RTE, which is a shame. Used to love Eircom League Weekly on TV3 back in the day.
3. Fans of other clubs didn't watch other teams on WatchLoi, contributing to unexpectedly low figures.

Things I don't agree on;
1. League needs to be more competitive. Ideally, we'd like it to be, but that's not a rationale to not show more games. 
2. Comparisons with the GAA more specifically the AI semis and final. They are marquee games and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat LoI viewing figures with. How many people watch the provincial championships or national league games should be the comparison.
3. Obligation. He stated that they aren't obliged to show the games. Sorry, you're the national broadcaster, in receipt of public funding. You are obliged to show games.

Had to laugh when Johnny Ward had a go at him halfway through the podcast and he's calling for Dan to back him up. Be interesting to see if there's someone else doing LoI match reports on the rte website from now on.

Fair play to him for going on, but he showed little ambition for greater marketing and indicated that things will remain as they are.

At this moment in time, clubs are better off concentrating on their own streaming IMO.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I'd love to see the figures the Rugby Under 20 games get relative to a big LOI game though doubt RTE would release those as they would probably tell a tale.
But at the end of the day RTE are a public service broadcaster paid for partly by licence fees so they should have a responsibility to showcase the biggest participation sport in the country. I think we all know why Soccer Republic had low figures: If you move anything around as much as they did with that and show it late it night then you are guaranteed low figures. 
And the story about the RTE staff being abused at games reminds we of the John Delaney cyber bullying story: Classic deflection. 

Fully listened to the podcast now - I do have to say that he deserves credit for fronting up and doing it even though I'd disagree and take exception to some of what he said. 
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

About viewing figures - are they counted on the basis of how many watched the show at its broadcast time. I never watched SR at its broadcast time but rather recorded it and watched it later.

Figures take into account all viewing watched within 7 days of initial broadcast. Streaming is separate.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:08pm

Fully listened to the podcast now - I do have to say that he deserves credit for fronting up and doing it even though I'd disagree and take exception to some of what he said. 

Had a listen to it myself there, got a bit heated at points could hear Dan breaking his bollocks laughing at Johnny when he was having a bit of a go at your man.

While I didn't agree with a lot of the points he had to make, fair play to him all the same for going on the show to make his arguments known.

He had have some valid points and so did the lads, but not everything added up on certain arguments on his end. Seemed to deflect a lot of the blame on fans, clubs, the FAI, other sections of the media. Anyone but RTE.

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:23pm
he f**king hates “soccer”, gaaaah man to his toes,typical semi state management stuff, establishment sports only.
Big f**kin meaty gaah head on the ****
No Pasaran!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:22pm
Would many on here watch LOI games not involving their own teams? I watch all Cork City games via streams but would have no inteest in watching Rovers V Bohs on TV. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Would many on here watch LOI games not involving their own teams? I watch all Cork City games via streams but would have no inteest in watching Rovers V Bohs on TV. 

I’d watch whoever’s on the tv, but I certainly wouldn’t be paying LOItv €5 for the pleasure of watching Derry Dundalk for example 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I’d watch whoever’s on the tv, but I certainly wouldn’t be paying LOItv €5 for the pleasure of watching Derry Dundalk for example 

As a neutral LOI fan I'd watch anything and pay for the odd big game on LOITV, if Pats vs Rovers wasnt on tele this Friday Id have paid for it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 3:39pm

Last season I watched a lot more of the other teams games. I haven't seen any other clubs play since the summer though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:57pm
Listened to the pod there. Very interesting stuff and credit to the RTÉ fella for going into such detail on the finer points.

To be fair, it's very hard to argue when he listed off the viewing figures. It's poor. Beyond poor and there can be as many Twitter experts out there who can try argue the opposite to RTEs viewpoint but RTE are fully justified to do what they do. 

They have to sell a product ie advertising, but if nobody is watching how can they?

This situation will not improve until the League of Ireland truly becomes a League of Ireland. Right now, why would someone in Roscommon, or Laois, or Meath sit down to watch a LOI game when there's no team in the county to support? We need new teams to bring new eyes and increased attention to the league. That's the only way to sort this to a level that people want. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 24 Sep 2021 at 4:57pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 36373839>
  Share Topic