You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snooker Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 45>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 1:14pm
Davis is nearly single handedly responsible for modern snooker & the way the game is played today. Before him, snooker players concentrated on one aspect of the game, usually safety, so successful lads were steady, grinder types like Spencer, Reardon, Thorburn, Griffiths, even steady Eddie Charlton achieved a degree of success. Only White & Higgins in that era (and very briefly, Kirk Stevens) were the only relatively successful players who went the other way, concentrating on all out attack. 

Davis more or less revolutionised it, while considered a safety player in comparison to White or Higgins, what most don't realise was just how attacking he was in comparison to all the rest of them of that era. He became a player that could beat anyone with an attacking break if given one or 2 chances, but his safety game was as impeccable as all the other safety conscious players. The safety type players had no answer for his attacking game, the attacking players, aside from a handful of good results here & there against him, generally crumbled eventually under the pressure of his safety game. 

Hendry came along later & improved the standard, but his game was modelled on Davis's in the first place, as was nearly everyone who came after that. It seems a simple concept now that you have to be good at both aspects of the game to be successful, given that it is like that for 30 years at this stage, but it wasn't the case back when Davis started his career. And he does seem like a nice fella as well, never afraid to take the mick out of himself or his 'boring' image, and equipped with a very dry sense of humour. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
Davis was brilliant for snooker in the 80’s.
He was hugely successful but most people wanted to him to lose to Higgins/White etc.
Davis losing to Taylor in 1985 was a monumental moment in snooker history.
Davis had already won in 83 and 84, and would go on to win 3 in a row in 87, 88 and 89.
If he had beaten Taylor in 85, and Johnson in 86 then maybe people would have turned off.
Hendry came on the scene then, won his first title in 1990 and dominated for a decade.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Davis is nearly single handedly responsible for modern snooker & the way the game is played today. Before him, snooker players concentrated on one aspect of the game, usually safety, so successful lads were steady, grinder types like Spencer, Reardon, Thorburn, Griffiths, even steady Eddie Charlton achieved a degree of success. Only White & Higgins in that era (and very briefly, Kirk Stevens) were the only relatively successful players who went the other way, concentrating on all out attack. 

Davis more or less revolutionised it, while considered a safety player in comparison to White or Higgins, what most don't realise was just how attacking he was in comparison to all the rest of them of that era. He became a player that could beat anyone with an attacking break if given one or 2 chances, but his safety game was as impeccable as all the other safety conscious players. The safety type players had no answer for his attacking game, the attacking players, aside from a handful of good results here & there against him, generally crumbled eventually under the pressure of his safety game. 

Hendry came along later & improved the standard, but his game was modelled on Davis's in the first place, as was nearly everyone who came after that. It seems a simple concept now that you have to be good at both aspects of the game to be successful, given that it is like that for 30 years at this stage, but it wasn't the case back when Davis started his career. And he does seem like a nice fella as well, never afraid to take the mick out of himself or his 'boring' image, and equipped with a very dry sense of humour. 

I’d be more inclined to say Hendry revolutionised the game and brought a much more attacking element to it that was never seen before.

He was the first to really take on long shots (low %) and clear the game from one visit. His sheer number of centuries before the introduction of all the new competitions shows this.
He was part of the new generation that looked to break open the pack at every visit. Not this nudging a few balls away.

Davies was certainly the best during his time and was excellent at safety play and never missed. However he always played the %’s.
Very likeable fella but I believe Hendry and Ronnie have way more talent than him.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I’d be more inclined to say Hendry revolutionised the game and brought a much more attacking element to it that was never seen before.

He was the first to really take on long shots (low %) and clear the game from one visit. His sheer number of centuries before the introduction of all the new competitions shows this.
He was part of the new generation that looked to break open the pack at every visit. Not this nudging a few balls away.

Davies was certainly the best during his time and was excellent at safety play and never missed. However he always played the %’s.
Very likeable fella but I believe Hendry and Ronnie have way more talent than him.
They may have had more talent than him, White and Higgins probably had too, but what Davis had was the perfect temperament for the game. All of the other players, with the exception of Hendry, were championed because of their talent and their emotions. Every sports fan loves a flawed talent, but Davis had few  flaws and any imperfections he had  in his game didn't bother him. He just worked on them.   Hendry, who was similar but, to use that awful and often misused Scottish stereotype; he was dour. That dourness seemed to drive him on, but he could be ruffled.
Davis, by and large, couldn't be. Hearn called him a robot and he played up to that, but in reality he was just  the nice lad next door. He was far too happy-go-lucky to be a robot and I think that's what wound Higgins up so much. He was almost puppy-like in how he followed Hearn and in how he reacted to misses and bad shots. He didn't take himself too seriously, just the game, while Higgins took himself too seriously and often not the game.
I think he gets unfairly judged as a result of that, it isn't often successful sportsmen come off worse when being compared to a lunatic!

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Apr 2019 at 6:38pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:22am
Ronnie is in trouble. 8-5 down to an amateur Shocked
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Ronnie is in trouble. 8-5 down to an amateur Shocked

Not watching it but if he's playing in any way like he was yesterday he's done. Looked like he didn't want to be there and consistently missed shots he'd normally knock in with his eyes closed.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:11pm
Ronnie only wakes up when it gets past noon. 8-8.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:19pm
He is still in trouble! He shouldn’t have taken on that red.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:21pm
Poor choice of shot from such an experienced player and at such a vital time. He had to hit a red or lose the frame. Ronnie so had him under the cosh.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:42pm
Ronnie out Shocked

Edited by Denis Irwin - 23 Apr 2019 at 12:42pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:46pm
Ronnie's amazing break of 42 was like Alex Higgins at his best. Unlucky to knock in the red when he went into the pack, but not sure he had to play the shot as hard, making it more risky. Ouch
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
Ronnie looking like a lad coming off a week of back to back night shifts. Looks absolutely knackered.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Ronnie looking like a lad coming off a week of back to back night shifts. Looks absolutely knackered.

He doesn't like right at all. Looked like he had just woken up after a bag of sleeping pills.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:50pm
Fair play to him, he did an interview after. Basically said he hadn't been sleeping at all, legs and arms heavy. He did look like utter sh*te. Could be an outside stress thing or could just be a few days bug. Bit of a pity as if it was just a bug, he could have been flying it by next week. As much as it's great to see such an upset, it's not the same tournament unless O'Sullivan is in around the quarters or semis at least.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Fair play to him, he did an interview after. Basically said he hadn't been sleeping at all, legs and arms heavy. He did look like utter sh*te. Could be an outside stress thing or could just be a few days bug. Bit of a pity as if it was just a bug, he could have been flying it by next week. As much as it's great to see such an upset, it's not the same tournament unless O'Sullivan is in around the quarters or semis at least.
It's also not an upset that's particularly worth celebrating as O'Sullivan was clearly such a diminished force. Certainly from what I saw yesterday at least Cahill was no great shakes - O'Sullivan just kept giving him chances and caring very little about doing so. But yeah as you say the tournament tends to suffer greatly with his absence.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 2:20pm
Trump will never have a better chance.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm thinking the same about Allen !
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He could make snooker great again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 45>
  Share Topic