You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snooker Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 45>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

could listen to Ronnie talk all day such a breath of fresh air listening to him compared to other sports people. Always so relaxed and honest in interviews, never afraid to speak his mind. 
I f**king love him.
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

could listen to Ronnie talk all day such a breath of fresh air listening to him compared to other sports people. Always so relaxed and honest in interviews, never afraid to speak his mind. 
I f**king love him.
I do too, I'd nearly say he is my favourite sportsperson, brings the best out of everyone that plays him and I have never seen another player look so comfortable playing their respective sport. He never looks nervous and never plays tentative shots always goes for it and never doubts his ability. Nobody is ever going to get close to his 5 minute 147
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Snooker before was a closed shop, same top players hoovering up all the money and titles. Now you have a business where players actually have a chance of making a good living for themselves. Course players like ronnie and higgins and the older stock dont want to travel and play in early rounds but tough. They can skip a tournaments if they want to. Its not ideal but its snooker is in a fairly healthy state right now. Hearn wont give you anything for free. Thats why hes a successfull businessman.
He's a successful businessman because he is a ****, that's how it works.
It is becoming harder and harder for young players to establish themselves on the tour. I understand that professional sport is a dog eat dog world, but you shouldn't need to be financially secure to start off.
Also, if I decide to buy tickets to a snooker competition I want to see the best players in top form. I don't want to see an exhausted Ronnie,Selby or Trump. That appears to be happening more.

There has never been a better time for younger players to establish themselves on tour. Thats the whole point. I love ronnie and as much as the next man but the top players shouldnt have top billing all the time. I agree with hearn on that. As shaun murphy said in an interview a while back if i cant beat number 128 in the world on the day then i dont deserve to be there. Thats his attitude. Ive watched snooker since i was a child and have been to many a tournament and it got boring for a long time. Same old faces winning all the titles and money. Now hundreds more players have a chance to make it and thats a good thing.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:33pm
A lot of players starting off really struggle, they have to pay the money to go to these events and it is a gamble for them. 
I remember seeing an interview with Ronnie a year or two ago where he talks about players he felt were good enough dropping out because they couldn't afford it.

I do agree with Murphy there, even if he does come across as the biggest twat on the tour, but if the reason the player ranked 128th is beating him because he is burnt out then questions should be asked.

I don't think for a second that Ronnie is actually going to follow through, but like everything else in life he has created a debate, something which only he could have done and which is healthy for the game.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:44pm
Totally and no doubt there are lots of things that could be tweaked im sure. Like i think wasnt it wilson who was in a final or something and literally had to play the following day. Hearn agrees this could be looked at by allowing the winners to choose their starting day. Not sure what Murphy is like in real life but hes a class snooker player. I actually like watching him play. So attacking. Just a pity we dont have an irish tournament anymore. (Not the n.ireland one). Would love to see one back at Goffs. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:50pm
And I think that is what Ronnie is after, slight but important changes. 
Neither Ronnie or Hearn are stupid, as much as it pains me to say it about the latter. Ronnie knows he is probably the only player who can make a change, he also knows that taking a big stand is the only way that he can force Hearn's hand.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:29pm
Anyone watching? First frame ofRonnie v Bingham was a bit nuts.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 3:25pm
The bit on Ronnie during the mid session interval was fantastic. The fella is simply a genius. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Sham 147 Clap
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

The bit on Ronnie during the mid session interval was fantastic. The fella is simply a genius. 
yeah was a good watch, jesus he had some issues too
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Sham 147 Clap
LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:32pm
Ronnie Clap
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:44pm

Ronnie Clap
1k x 100 and still a few years left in him yet.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:21pm
Chance to get to No1 in the world again too.

Hope he wins another world championships. He should be on more than 5.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
World championships start today.
Ronnie, No1 is strong fav. He’s won 5/10 tournaments this year.

Robertson and Trump are the main challengers.

Hope he gets number 6. Steve Davies should not have more than Ronnie.

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

World championships start today.
Ronnie, No1 is strong fav. He’s won 5/10 tournaments this year.

Robertson and Trump are the main challengers.

Hope he gets number 6. Steve Davies should not have more than Ronnie.
Steve Davis was a great player so what if he has 6 

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 20 Apr 2019 at 8:58am
TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:15am
Davis was Ronnies hero growing up, a super player. Love to see Ronnie win it this year, a tough ask for him as he can struggle with his concentration in the longer format
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:49am
Davis gets far too much stick for no reason, has done throughout his life. He was a brilliant player and seems a quite nice fella as well, even if his taste in music is a little out there!

I f**king love Ronnie though. I dread him retiring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 45>
  Share Topic