You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snooker Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 45>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Ronnie with a 146 just now to make it 11-9 against Ding. Still in trouble of course.
Taking the piss while making a 146.ClapClapClapClap
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 1:52pm
Decent battle between Selby and Ding atm.. selby just potted a cracker to wrap up the second frame..1-1 currently.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:53pm
Ding looks nervous,missing easy pots, would love to see him make the final.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 6:44pm
Ding missed a blue to the middle pocket which could have taken it to a decider,it was close to the cushion which meant hitting the ball with top spin makes it easier than digging down to put screw on it,he chose the latter,missed and Selby is back in the final again.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:32pm
This is a snooker masterclass from the great John Higgins. Clap
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:02pm
Hope Selby wins, not a fan of Higgins.

He really needed those last 3 frames.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Hope Selby wins, not a fan of Higgins.

He really needed those last 3 frames.
I'm the opposite, can't take to Selby at all he must be the most boring man in the world, whoever called him 'the jester from Leicester' was clearly jesting himself. The 'great WT' having a wank over him in the commentary box doesn't help either.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:14pm
A victory for John Bhoy Higgins will be a victory for integrity in snooker. 

Come on the Provisional Potter.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:17am
Think Selby is hugely underrated as a snooker player/world champion, capable of long shots, trick shots, break building or whatever yer having yerself if he feels like it, but also capable of being a horrible to play against, safety first absolute grinder in the manner of Cliff Thorburn or Steady Eddie Charlton, something that makes him a bit unique out of the modern snooker players, the majority of his peers excel at one of those 2 things, but not both. 

The 'Jester from Leicster' moniker/nickname, to be fair to him, was not something he sought, rather something bestowed on him by Barry Hearn/Sky/Marketing lads because of little other reason than it rhymed, and he once smiled at the camera after getting into a tricky position on the top cushion after an excellent safety shot by an opponent. It totally ignored the fact the man is more serious about snooker than the famously dour Stephen Hendry, or even Steve Davis's robotic Mr Interesting phase, before he went on Question Of Sport & the like and people got to know he actually had an understated, dry sense of humour. 

For all the exceptional brilliance of Ronnie, I admire Selby's pure doggedness & refusal to admit he is beaten. Higgins is ahead as I type, but still think Selby will prevail in the end, if he can't out - pot Higgins, he will try & out- grind & frustrate him. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:24am
Oh and by the way, for those who think Ronnie is some kind of madman or rebel........................

Did he ever break his dead brother's corpse out of a funeral home & bring the said same corpse out on the beer for a night ????

No ????

Jimmy White did though.........................

Edited by deise316 - 01 May 2017 at 4:37am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:38am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Think Selby is hugely underrated as a snooker player/world champion, capable of long shots, trick shots, break building or whatever yer having yerself if he feels like it, but also capable of being a horrible to play against, safety first absolute grinder in the manner of Cliff Thorburn or Steady Eddie Charlton, something that makes him a bit unique out of the modern snooker players, the majority of his peers excel at one of those 2 things, but not both. 

The 'Jester from Leicster' moniker/nickname, to be fair to him, was not something he sought, rather something bestowed on him by Barry Hearn/Sky/Marketing lads because of little other reason than it rhymed, and he once smiled at the camera after getting into a tricky position on the top cushion after an excellent safety shot by an opponent. It totally ignored the fact the man is more serious about snooker than the famously dour Stephen Hendry, or even Steve Davis's robotic Mr Interesting phase, before he went on Question Of Sport & the like and people got to know he actually had an understated, dry sense of humour. 

For all the exceptional brilliance of Ronnie, I admire Selby's pure doggedness & refusal to admit he is beaten. Higgins is ahead as I type, but still think Selby will prevail in the end, if he can't out - pot Higgins, he will try & out- grind & frustrate him. 

No doubting his class as a player at all, he just has a way of playing that isn't the best to watch, I am not even sure what it is but I think it is his way of dragging opponents into dirty frames to grind out wins and seems incredibly boring.
There were a fair few 'lads' involved in snooker then, I think Ronnie is loved for his faults as much as his brilliance. I would certainly rather being stuck in a lift with Ronnie than Jimmy or Jester though, an interesting fella.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:28am
Ronnie is certainly an interesting fella, and currently playing a blinder on Eurosport as an analyst, has a snooker version of Carragher & Neville's big screen for the football where he can draw arrows & explain what the player was attempting & where the balls are meant to end up after the shot, and tis clear he sees stuff that the likes of (with all respect etc) Neal Foulds simply doesn't. As a player to watch, he simply doesn't really have any peers, unless ya count the White of the 1990s or Alex Higgins from the '80s. 

He just loses me with the excessive bullsh*t & attention seeking - I'm going to retire, I'm taking up marathon running instead of snooker, I only practiced for a half an hour all year & here I am, Barry Hearn is bullying me, I don't need snooker, I could get a 147 any time I want but choose not to, fcuk all that bollix. 

Alex Higgins (by all accounts, an utter w**ker, I briefly met him once & can concur with that general analysis, as can more or less anyone who ever met him) had a similar love of attention and generally ended up being disdained by all who actually knew him any little bit at all. 

I have no idea if White is interesting or not, but considering he brought a dead fella out on the beer with him, there has to be something more to him than the '' I'll be back next year to try & win David Vine/Des Lynam/Hazel Irvine/Colin Murray/John Parrott'' platitudes he used to spin to the BBC cameras. 

Ronnie as an exceptional snooker genius, I can buy that, Ronnie as this figure of internal torture that we are seemingly lucky to see every year, he isn't even as mad as the gambling addict Willie Thorne, who only won the 1985 Mercantile Credit Classic, never mind the 20 pints before a game Big Bill Werbenuik, the alcohol fuelled Jimmy White or the chain smoking, cocaine taking likes of Alex Higgins or Kirk Stevens. He might be more interesting than Hendry, Davis & the Jester, but that isn't a particularly high bar, I'd prefer if he just got on with the snooker , which is the reason most people watch him & like him for in the first place. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:07am
Would have loved to have seen Ding lift the trophy,he will be haunted by that missed Blue,not a huge Higgins fan but would rather him than Selby,whats the story with Selby constantly looking up to his moth and mates in the balcony every time he fooks up ?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 11:19am
Snooker is not really gonna attract many bright personalities is it?
You have to practice 4/5 hours a day in a dark room in silence.
Hardly seems like fun. At least in the old days you have booze and fags to get you by.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Ronnie is certainly an interesting fella, and currently playing a blinder on Eurosport as an analyst, has a snooker version of Carragher & Neville's big screen for the football where he can draw arrows & explain what the player was attempting & where the balls are meant to end up after the shot, and tis clear he sees stuff that the likes of (with all respect etc) Neal Foulds simply doesn't. As a player to watch, he simply doesn't really have any peers, unless ya count the White of the 1990s or Alex Higgins from the '80s. 

He just loses me with the excessive bullsh*t & attention seeking - I'm going to retire, I'm taking up marathon running instead of snooker, I only practiced for a half an hour all year & here I am, Barry Hearn is bullying me, I don't need snooker, I could get a 147 any time I want but choose not to, fcuk all that bollix. 

Alex Higgins (by all accounts, an utter w**ker, I briefly met him once & can concur with that general analysis, as can more or less anyone who ever met him) had a similar love of attention and generally ended up being disdained by all who actually knew him any little bit at all. 

I have no idea if White is interesting or not, but considering he brought a dead fella out on the beer with him, there has to be something more to him than the '' I'll be back next year to try & win David Vine/Des Lynam/Hazel Irvine/Colin Murray/John Parrott'' platitudes he used to spin to the BBC cameras. 

Ronnie as an exceptional snooker genius, I can buy that, Ronnie as this figure of internal torture that we are seemingly lucky to see every year, he isn't even as mad as the gambling addict Willie Thorne, who only won the 1985 Mercantile Credit Classic, never mind the 20 pints before a game Big Bill Werbenuik, the alcohol fuelled Jimmy White or the chain smoking, cocaine taking likes of Alex Higgins or Kirk Stevens. He might be more interesting than Hendry, Davis & the Jester, but that isn't a particularly high bar, I'd prefer if he just got on with the snooker , which is the reason most people watch him & like him for in the first place. 

Firstly, I think you are confusing 'mad' with 'interesting', 'WT' may be mad but he is as dull as dishwater, can anyone seriously say they would enjoy a chat with him? I also think it is unfair to compare Higgins to Ronnie, anybody that has met Higgins thought he was a **** and it was his ability and entertaining style that got him by, even that only got him so far.
Ronnie, on the other hand,(pun intended) has got a few issues that I understand fairly well and has dealt with them fairly well, sure his head goes now and again and he comes out with something that gets on the back pages but that is largely because of his stature in the game, loads of other players have had similar moments over the years but none are Ronnie. He is well known for giving time to young players on the tour and does a lot to help them and there is a reason the fans love him and it isn't just ability. He is actually a pretty decent fella, a very intelligent guy with an amazing back story and a brilliant talent.
I have also met Jimmy White and he is a ****, a typical south London wide boy. I reckon I have had the same amount of pints with his dead brother as he did, I would rather have a pint with his dead brother than him mind you. His 'manager' with the Dublin accent is another gimp.
A lot of the fellas you mentioned there I wouldn't find particularly interesting, they may be mad or have had problems with the beer or drugs but wasn't Paul Merson addicted to everything and he is about as interesting as David O'Leary. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Snooker is not really gonna attract many bright personalities is it?
You have to practice 4/5 hours a day in a dark room in silence.
Hardly seems like fun. At least in the old days you have booze and fags to get you by.
It used to do, in some ways at least. When the game first became really popular with the advancement of colour television, Hearn, Higgins and the like people were drawn by the personalities too, although going by Steve Davis a lot of the persona was a front. Davis is actually far more interesting than a lot of the 'colourful' characters he played against, it just suited his image and the image Hearn wanted to have him seen as some sort of snooker machine devoid of any flaws.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:26pm
Selby looks like he is going to cruise it from here, he is an excellent snooker player alright and I think he will win a few more world titles, he doesn't set the pulse racing though.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:34pm
Its not easy to find a flair player who wins it ,apart from Ronnie of course,and Alex before him,poor Jimmy could never win it,i agree with what you say though PM,would much prefer to see Trump or Ding lift it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 45>
  Share Topic