You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I agree regarding the winter World Cup, but the NL isn’t a priority and won’t be seen as such. Next season, however it runs, is likely to be shorter anyway, but given what is paid for the rights in (some) leagues they will always be put ahead of the NL by broadcasters.

The NL in the grand scheme of things isn't a high priority but they have currently have an agreed schedule of dates covering all UEFA members and 200 odd games over 3 periods  that they can flog the TV rights to and even UEFA in the present climate will want the revenue especially as the euros were postponed  .

For the playoffs they need to accommodate 16 teams for 12 matches which could all happen on any Thurs/Tues
either the clubs allow they players to be released and the leagues continue
UEFA force the clubs to release their players and the league continues
or the leagues are shelved for that weekend ( compromise maybe during a 'winter break' as not all clubs will be affected nor are there any big names in the playoffs)

really hope the NL dates aren't shifted

From Dan McDonnell's indo piece today. 

"Nations League double-headers are marked down for September, October and November and calling them off would pose difficulties as the lucrative centralised TV contract which benefits every member nation is based on those fixtures being played." 
Are UEFA that bothered about the nations? Their main aim is to keep the big five leagues and their top teams happy, not the nations. 
They may well play the NL, of course, but all they are concerned about is the CL and the leagues allowed to win it.

It's intrinsically linked to the centralised TV deal with big penalties if thet're not played so yeah, I reckon so.

Is it just your opinion they're not or are you basing it on anything you're reading or hearing?
Just my opinion, but I have seen others agree. In fact, I have seen people talk about scrapping the Euros too. In fairness, many of those share my grievances about the shambolic nature of it, a nature I feel was deliberate. Either way, I think the Euros will definitely go ahead.

Regarding the penalties, they  would be la lot less than what they would make from finishing this season's CL and having a full one next season. UEFA will not want the penalties, but once the big clubs point out their concerns, particularly regarding the number of  fixtures, I expect them to acquiesce.

Apples and oranges though. Bulk of CL money foes to the clubs, the centralised TV deal for internationals goes directly to the members.
Yes, but the clubs hold far more power. The national associations can't really break away, and while the clubs have no real intention to do so, not when they are calling the shots, they still have that threat. Since they initially threatened to go their own way, UEFA have bent over backwards to accommodate them. 
Add to that the last Euros, held ever four years, generated less than last season's CL and you can see which way the balls are weighted. The members know that if they want to keep getting their share of the honeypot that they have to keep the clubs happy. Losing the NL would be a small price in the current climate. It is also worth remembering that attendances haven't been up much, for most nations at least, on friendlies, so the only factor is the television deal. I reckon finishing this CL and having a full one next season, or as close to it as possible, whenever that may be, will require breaks where NL games or friendlies may take place. Even at that, clubs would have less of an objection to the friendlies as it is easier to pull players out.

Having made this argument, I know fully expect the NL to go ahead as planned and the CL to be reduced.LOL
Sponsored Links

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm
UEFA planned to play the 2022/23 nations league in June and September of 2022. The World Cup playoffs are scheduled for March 2022. In June there would be 4 nations league games and the final 2 games would take place in September. There is no international break in October 2022. I just wanted to point this out as people seem to think there is lots of extra space in the international football calendar because the World Cup takes place in November 2022. There really isn’t. Either way I cannot see both the 2020/21 and 2022/23 nations leagues taking place.

Edited by AonSceal19 - 02 Apr 2020 at 12:50pm
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I agree regarding the winter World Cup, but the NL isn’t a priority and won’t be seen as such. Next season, however it runs, is likely to be shorter anyway, but given what is paid for the rights in (some) leagues they will always be put ahead of the NL by broadcasters.

The NL in the grand scheme of things isn't a high priority but they have currently have an agreed schedule of dates covering all UEFA members and 200 odd games over 3 periods  that they can flog the TV rights to and even UEFA in the present climate will want the revenue especially as the euros were postponed  .

For the playoffs they need to accommodate 16 teams for 12 matches which could all happen on any Thurs/Tues
either the clubs allow they players to be released and the leagues continue
UEFA force the clubs to release their players and the league continues
or the leagues are shelved for that weekend ( compromise maybe during a 'winter break' as not all clubs will be affected nor are there any big names in the playoffs)

really hope the NL dates aren't shifted
NR , i would say just about anything is off the table right now . Now where we will be in six months time is anyones guess .

Exactly, arguing over possible scenarios is pointless. No one knows how it's gonna be in the next few weeks let alone months ahead, second wave of infections, new lockdown measures. Different countries been affected worse than others etc etc 

It would damage this forums' reputation
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:04pm
McCarthy is gone 
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 1:37pm

Dubravka the Slovak keeper is out until April with a knee injury , massive loss for them 
Never want to wish an injury on a player, but if we had played them without him we would possibly be slight favourites. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Dubravka the Slovak keeper is out until April with a knee injury , massive loss for them 

Think Dubravka is massively overrated tbh, depends on how good their back up is I suppose.

He's a very good shot stopper very culpable under a high ball
Our balls are higher than a giraffe’s.

LOLLOL
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Never want to wish an injury on a player, but if we had played them without him we would possibly be slight favourites. 
Only if they didn’t replace him.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:21pm

Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Only if they didn’t replace him.

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:48pm
Tony and his eight-year-old son Tim
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:49pm
Never mind the kids Tony what the hell is the dog doing .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:35pm

Never mind the kids Tony what the hell is the dog doing .
LOL
Tony is the dog’s bollocks.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:52pm

That dog reminds me of Aido at many ireland games 
AKA pedantic kunt
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

That dog reminds me of Aido at many ireland games 
Thats doing the Dog a great injusticeBig smile
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:08pm
FAI tweeting play off likely to be October.

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:08pm
Slovakia game to be played in October?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:11pm

Indo saying November a possibility also as a double header

Edited by Denis Irwin - 21 Apr 2020 at 5:11pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:25pm
It's been a slow football news day for the past month...
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Indo saying November a possibility also as a double header

That was earlier. October semi, November final latest. It's been changed in the Indo, might just take a few minutes to update.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 139>
  Share Topic