You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 139>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Was nodding in agreement until I saw the RW

Not sure I’d have long there either mind you 
Robinson’s been more miss than hit for us and I’m not convinced with Maguire 

Ah I'm only brainstorming, there could have been a few players moved around or different ones selected just as easy.

I suppose I was thinking that if we played that formation which in essence becomes a 3-4-3 when we're attacking (so you would want 3 out and out attacking players on the pitch) the likes of Maguire and Robinson would slot seamlessly into it and would provide a proper goal threat also.

We also wouldn't be exposed defensively by carrying two attack mind wingers because we'd have a flat back 5 out of possession and at least 1 if not 2 centre midfielders not overly high up the pitch. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'd like to see this team but to be honest as long as Whelan and mcclean are nowhere near the team we should be ok.

Randolph 

Duffy   Egan   Clark                       

Molumby McCarthy Cullen
Doherty                                     Stevens 
                        Mcgoldrick
                            Long

get out of it... cullen and molumby in playoff... its not a computer game we are playing...
mclean to start.. big game experience

LOLClap
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

I think the key to qualifying is Doherty starting instead of Coleman and Glenn Whelan not starting . If Mick has the balls to make them changes we'll have a far better chance to qualifying 

I traveled to Tbilisi and Geneva, and witnessed in person more than you can on camera - Whelan plays with his heart on his sleeve, he gives everything he has, he's effective in doing what he does. I would start Whelan. 

"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:33pm
100pc as much as I've slated him before he was our best player in both games his performances for us defies his age and club situation so he's worth sticking with, I'd drop Hendrick for McCarthy, Casper the ghost would have more presence in midfield than him 

Edited by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN - 28 Jan 2020 at 11:33pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:50pm
As much as we all love Glenn lets look at the facts. His age, the hearts debacle and now hes playing in League 1. I think we need to be looking at our other options. We need to move on i think. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

As much as we all love Glenn lets look at the facts. His age, the hearts debacle and now hes playing in League 1. I think we need to be looking at our other options. We need to move on i think. 

LOL
You must have missed the last 57 pages of his thread 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:10am
Mick has some "damned if he does/doesn't" decisions to make regarding personnel. Possibly some ballsy choices to make. I'm as bonkers deluded, and full of hope on match day as the next fan, but here's a guarantee: If we play the same midfield that stank out this campaign, we're not qualifying. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:16am
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

I think the key to qualifying is Doherty starting instead of Coleman and Glenn Whelan not starting . If Mick has the balls to make them changes we'll have a far better chance to qualifying 

I traveled to Tbilisi and Geneva, and witnessed in person more than you can on camera - Whelan plays with his heart on his sleeve, he gives everything he has, he's effective in doing what he does. I would start Whelan. 

The problem is Glenn Whelan is that he offers very very little when we have possession and that kills the game for us.

Glenn Whelan is a 'midfielder', meaning he plays in the midfield position. 

Just because we prefix it with 'defensive' it is assumed that his responsibility in any attacking sense is null and void... it's not!

The distinction is that he is not a 'defender in a midfield position', he is a midfielder with a more defensive focus. 

Otherwise we may just as well play Duffy in midfield.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:42am

LOL

Love when the line is run on the forum about ‘bar stoolers’ listening to Dunphy about Whelan. Most people on this forum go to matches and thus probably rarely, if ever, hear Dunphy or anyone else’s views on Whelan.

But we can see with our own eyes that in his 12 year Ireland career he has been the bridesmaid. Since his debut every manager we have had has been conservative and thus he suits the systems. Never man of the match in an Irish jersey to my memory and he’s nearing a ton of caps. 

Our big wins of the last decade came when he wasn’t in the team.

Is there anyone else at this juncture to take his place or Be a real game changer? Probably not. But we can’t be confident with a team that has Whelan in the heart of the midfield and having been to two games seeing him with his proverbial on his sleeve just highlights how deprived we are of talent at the moment than identifying a winning formula...
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

As much as we all love Glenn . . .

doherty: Are you just back from Pluto? The poor guy has been battered from pillar to post - some comments about Whelan on this forum, both recent and historic, would make a cockroach blush. 

Talking of which, Pipsqueak must have been in the cargo hold. Only someone in desperate oxygen debt would spew out such claptrap. Whelan was one of our best three in the qualifiers, and was voted man-of-the-match at least twice. Give him his due. You're the type who decides (sorry, analyses) how Whelan played before the match. Have a read of xRedmanLFCx - someone who knows what he's talking about.

Where did I say he wasn’t one of the best players in a campaign that saw us score 7 goals in 8 matches of which 3 were against Gibraltar?

I actually said I couldn’t pick a player that would be a game changer if he took over his position Clap

What language are you speaking baby? 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:15am

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

doherty: Are you just back from Pluto? The poor guy has been battered from pillar to post - some comments about Whelan on this forum, both recent and historic, would make a cockroach blush. 

Talking of which, Pipsqueak must have been in the cargo hold. Only someone in desperate oxygen debt would spew out such claptrap. Whelan was one of our best three in the qualifiers, and was voted man-of-the-match at least twice. Give him his due. You're the type who decides (sorry, analyses) how Whelan played before the match. Have a read of xRedmanLFCx - someone who knows what he's talking about.

Where did I say he wasn’t one of the best players in a campaign that saw us score 7 goals in 8 matches of which 3 were against Gibraltar?

I actually said I couldn’t pick a player that would be a game changer if he took over his position Clap

"But we can’t be confident with a team that has Whelan in the heart of the midfield and having been to two games seeing him with his proverbial on his sleeve just highlights how deprived we are of talent at the moment than identifying a winning formula..."

I suffered to make sense of your navel gaze. If the two games you attended were at the qualifiers you would have seen Whelan more than justify his selection. He had a strong campaign overall.

You declare Whelan was only selected by various managers because he suited their systems. What a scoop.

You conclude with a moving croi de coeur on the shortage of Irish midfield talent - that it allows selection for a player like Whelan. So after nearly 100 caps, he's still a beneficiary of "the systems". 

Now you ask: "Where did I say Whelan wasn't one of our best in the campaign? 

You've covered all angles, baby dribbler.

Mr. Brick, save your "viperous" comments for the Whelan thread. I can't bear to hear you refer to posters as "mudslinging begrudgers".

Whelan is over the hill, his legs are gone. If we qualify, we need McCarthy in midfield. END OF

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 29 Jan 2020 at 9:16am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:39am

The problem is Glenn Whelan is that he offers very very little when we have possession and that kills the game for us.

Just because we prefix it with 'defensive' it is assumed that his responsibility in any attacking sense is null and void... it's not!

The distinction is that he is not a 'defender in a midfield position', he is a midfielder with a more defensive focus. 

RainPaulos daily update on his feeling on Glenn Whelan, which blows with the wind.

Take another read of Deise's post.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:42am

I don't question Glenn Whelans dedication,  but no on can argue a fit James McCarthy playing in the premier league will give us a far greater chance of qualifying than Glenn Whelan getting games in a league 1 side. 

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

"But we can’t be confident with a team that has Whelan in the heart of the midfield and having been to two games seeing him with his proverbial on his sleeve just highlights how deprived we are of talent at the moment than identifying a winning formula..."

I suffered to make sense of your navel gaze. If the two games you attended were at the qualifiers you would have seen Whelan more than justify his selection. He had a strong campaign overall.

You declare Whelan was only selected by various managers because he suited their systems. What a scoop.

You conclude with a moving croi de coeur on the shortage of Irish midfield talent - that it allows selection for a player like Whelan. So after nearly 100 caps, he's still a beneficiary of "the systems". 

Mr. Brick, save your "viperous" comments for the Whelan thread. I can't bear to hear you refer to posters as "mudslinging begrudgers".

Whelan is over the hill, his legs are gone. If we qualify, we need McCarthy in midfield. END OF

Didn't know you were the Fat Controller, directing posters to their appropriate bunkers. There is certainly a multitude of viperous comments on the Whelan thread - the vast majority unfairly aimed at the man himself by keyboard warriors and barstoolers getting their kicks. I make no apologies for redirecting the poo back in their faces. I'll continue to do so with gusto. And how they howl. So you "can't bear" to hear these heroes being called  mudslinging begrudgers? Well move aside, Mother Teresa, and you won't get hit.

PS: Of course Whelan's time is almost up - he's 36 for chrissakes. And I too would have McCarthy, if he shows interest, in the side ahead of him. END OF whatever.

LOL

This place is a mad house!

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 29 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:21pm

Didn't know you were the Fat Controller, directing posters to their appropriate bunkers. There is certainly a multitude of viperous comments on the Whelan thread - the vast majority unfairly aimed at the man himself by keyboard warriors and barstoolers getting their kicks. I make no apologies for redirecting the poo back in their faces. I'll continue to do so with gusto. And how they howl. So you "can't bear" to hear these heroes being called  mudslinging begrudgers? Well move aside, Mother Teresa, and you won't get hit.

PS: Of course Whelan's time is almost up - he's 36 for chrissakes. And I too would have McCarthy, if he shows interest, in the side ahead of him. END OF whatever.

LOL

This place is a mad house!

A madhouse? Well don't let us distract you from splitting the atom. 

Between yours and Hans trolling, you have ruined endless topics that have gone completely off the rails.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Glenn Whelan and any other Irish footballer. Can we just keep the posts on topic for once instead of attempting to drag users names through the mud.

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:46pm
The more I think about it, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see both Whelan AND McCarthy start out in Slovakia.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

The more I think about it, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see both Whelan AND McCarthy start out in Slovakia.

Jaysus.

We can barely create a chance as it is. 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:05pm
Let’s not forget the bang average Jeff Hendrick in there aswell 😉
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 139>
  Share Topic