You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slovakia v Ireland, Thursday, 08th October 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 139>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Big weekend for players to see if they're fit enough for kenny's next squad announcement.

Egan is suspended but will be selected.
Brady likely out
Parrott likely out 

Molumby may depend on selection vs man utd 

Smallbone will be interesting if he plays for Southampton 

Shane Long might be out, hasnt kicked a ball this season 

Duffy a cert - might be a different story if was still at brighton 

Dunne? If he plays and does well this weekend... might be worth a chance 

Clark likely out as injured

Mcclean - if he plays this weekend he should be OK 

Did Clark not play in the league cup and long has played as a substitute 
Clark played during the week but went off at half time when 4 or 5 goals up. Not sure whether it was injury or saving him for this weekend 
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:48pm
He went off due to thigh injury and wont be available for weekend games 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm
I'd expect few if any changes. Don't see Smallbone, Dunne or Obafemi being selected, if they weren't considered good enough three weeks ago they won't be now either. Ciaran Clark might come in for Dara O'Shea and Parrott will drop out injured but that'll be about it.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Michael Obafemi should be in the squad and put this switching bollocks to bed 

That sounds tremendously kinky.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd expect few if any changes. Don't see Smallbone, Dunne or Obafemi being selected, if they weren't considered good enough three weeks ago they won't be now either. Ciaran Clark might come in for Dara O'Shea and Parrott will drop out injured but that'll be about it.

Ciaran Clark is injured(thigh) from his first game back in a long time. He's unlikely to be selected with 45mins of football in yhe last 6 months 

Brady is injured (ribs) and unlikely to be selected 

Callum odowda is out injured and hasn't  been in the Bristol squad yet this season 

Hourihane has played 72mins of football so far which might play against his chances 

Alan browne was injured for the last Preston game vs Brighton 

A lot more players have a very little game time. Shane Long, molumby, idah etc.

Match fitness will definitely be a factor for the slovakia game so there may be more changes than you think and if Smallbone is playing for Southampton in the PL then probably warrants a place more than others 

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:55pm

Has he played for Southampton this season?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Has he played for Southampton this season?

Came off the bench in the 84th minute in the League Cup against Brentford that appears to be it. 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 25 Sep 2020 at 6:44pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:49pm
Yeah, the likes of Obafemi, Idah, Long & Molumby should count themselves lucky to be in the squad based on any kind of match-fitness.

Brady looks a loss as I reckon he'd have started in the centre three with McCarthy and Hendrick.

I'd have Smallbone drafted into the squad for sure.

The way I see it the back 5 are in the bag (Coleman v Doherty accepted).
The front three seem like Connolly, McGoldrick and Robinson.

McCarthy and Hendrick should start so leaves that last position and I'm not sure anyone is jumping out to take it.
Maybe Arter or Hourihane will get a couple of starts between now and Thurs week to get themselves in the starting 11...unlikely as it seems.

Edited by Fozz - 25 Sep 2020 at 6:50pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:58pm
If both Brady and O'dowda miss out with injury, then Jack Byrne is getting called up. Suspect he may already be in the squad to be honest. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

If both Brady and O'dowda miss out with injury, then Jack Byrne is getting called up. Suspect he may already be in the squad to be honest. 

Very true, he's arguably one of the players whose most match fit too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I heard Byrne during the week saying Kenny had told him one of the  main reasons.for his exclusion was due to him not wanting to play a number 10. 

A number 10 seemed like the very thing we were missing over last couple of games. 

I don't see the harm in having Byrne on the bench and switching from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1. Cause when you look at the Ireland bench, if we're chasing the game in Slovakia, I didn't see anyone in the squad who would come on and fundamentally alter our approach, specifically in midfield, which is the root of all our offensive failings.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:22am

I heard Byrne during the week saying Kenny had told him one of the  main reasons.for his exclusion was due to him not wanting to play a number 10. 

A number 10 seemed like the very thing we were missing over last couple of games. 

I don't see the harm in having Byrne on the bench and switching from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1. Cause when you look at the Ireland bench, if we're chasing the game in Slovakia, I didn't see anyone in the squad who would come on and fundamentally alter our approach, specifically in midfield, which is the root of all our offensive failings.

There's no way some reject f**ker who plays for rovers is changing a euros play off match. Get a grip. I say that as an loi fan. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:58am
Constructive, well backed up point....
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

There's no way some reject f**ker who plays for rovers is changing a euros play off match. Get a grip. I say that as an loi fan. 

We're playing Slovakia. Too many people over estimate the standard of international football.

Anyway, you're response seems like you're more interested in  lobbing grenades than an actual constructive well-thought-out rebuttal.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:14pm
We're very much at the start of a rebuilding process. We're still looking to play players that just don't get game time with their clubs such as Hourihane, idah, shane Long etc.

If Whelan was selected for the squad would it really be a surprise as the players currently ahead of him don't exactly pull up trees at the moment.

On a positive note the players coming through look better than they have for decades.

Connolly looks like hes gone up a level in such a short time and is now a premier league first team player. By the end of this season we're likely to have molumby, parrott, smallbone, Nathan Collins all take big steps forward.

That would be the spine of a new team right there 
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 3:39pm
Seamus Coleman and James McCarthy both looking sharp today so far

Edited by Liam Green - 26 Sep 2020 at 3:40pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:01pm
Cant see how Shane Long would deserve a place in the squad... he's just not playing football and seems to be bumped in the forward pecking order 

With Brady and odowda unlikely to be picked due to injury, there may be the odd surprise in the squad.

The first team, at the moment, looks likely to be 

Randolph 
Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens 
                  Mccarthy 
              Arter    Hendrick 
Ribinson  Mcgoldrick Connolly 

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:07pm
If Brady is fit, I think he will play. Hourihane is an alternative, so is Arter. McClean is back for Stoke and will surely play some part in the game even if he doesn't start. Experience will be key and Long has that as well as being a strong impact sub when he doesn't start. Not a game I'd throw Idah into at this point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 139>
  Share Topic