You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sligo Rovers Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 42>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

No chance would we be done for 5 years. Rovers at least are well run club and with a half decent manager and a half decent set of players im sure we would go straight back up.
I have zero interest in contemplating life in the First Division.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Sponsored Links

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

No chance would we be done for 5 years. Rovers at least are well run club and with a half decent manager and a half decent set of players im sure we would go straight back up.

well i cant see rovers not been in or very very close to the bottom 3 this season. Where are the wins going to come from.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:44pm

well i cant see rovers not been in or very very close to the bottom 3 this season. Where are the wins going to come from.
From your positive vibes.
No need to lose the rag yet, its hasn't been good so far but we`re 7 games in and we`re only 5 points off 5th!
We`ve made a good call today which followed up by a good appointment will mean moving up the table is realistic.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:12pm

Ah i always liked him. He did a great job at UCD keeping them up for years. Seemed to have been doing a good enough job at limerick. Always liked the way he speaks and carries himself. there are not too many managers within ireland that are of a decent standard and who would he considered. None at present apart from Russell. Hes tge only one within ireland who i would like to see given a go. Give him a 2 yr contract. He might keep us up this season and if not im sure we would come straight back up. If he did keep us up this season he would have done a good job. I wonder would he fancy tbe sligo job.
What did you like in particular?

The 21 games without a win?
The bottle job in the play off after miraculously finishing 2nd from bottom?
The 4 clean sheets in 50 odd games?

UCD are a funny one because they have had some future league stars when Russell was there. So while a young team he had good talent to work with, until the likes of Shams and Dundalk asset stripped them.

I hugely disagree with the bit in bold. With a 10 team FD we could find it very difficult to come back. All we`d need is the likes of Galway to break the bank in a similar fashion to Waterford and Limerick and at best we`d be in the lottery of the play off.
The longer you are down there the hard it is to come up. I could very easily see a scenario where we`d end up there for 5 years.

I think what people seem to be forgetting, and it is one of the reasons I was in favour of two divisions of ten, is that it would leave the top of the second tier competitive again. Whoever goes down will be trying to bounce straight back, barring asterisks. You will also have at least one team making a decent fist of challenging Waterford and not going up. So you should, theoretically, have a real promotion race.
It should make the First Division less of a graveyard, the problem is what do the teams in the bottom half of the table have to play for? That is an entirely different subject for another location though!
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:23am

Ah i always liked him. He did a great job at UCD keeping them up for years. Seemed to have been doing a good enough job at limerick. Always liked the way he speaks and carries himself. there are not too many managers within ireland that are of a decent standard and who would he considered. None at present apart from Russell. Hes tge only one within ireland who i would like to see given a go. Give him a 2 yr contract. He might keep us up this season and if not im sure we would come straight back up. If he did keep us up this season he would have done a good job. I wonder would he fancy tbe sligo job.

UCD are a funny one because they have had some future league stars when Russell was there. So while a young team he had good talent to work with, until the likes of Shams and Dundalk asset stripped them.

I hugely disagree with the bit in bold. With a 10 team FD we could find it very difficult to come back. All we`d need is the likes of Galway to break the bank in a similar fashion to Waterford and Limerick and at best we`d be in the lottery of the play off.
The longer you are down there the hard it is to come up. I could very easily see a scenario where we`d end up there for 5 years.

I may be wrong but the only player i can think of that we signed from UCD since Kenny came in was Benson, and Russell was already gone at that stage

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I may be wrong but the only player i can think of that we signed from UCD since Kenny came in was Benson, and Russell was already gone at that stage
Some people are ultra sensitive. Read the words "likes of".
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:56pm
Pointing out inaccuracies is not being ultra sensitive, but whatever

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:10pm
Would we take baraclough back?
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:38pm
Rovers 1 up at half time. Playing well. Bohs offering nothing upfront at all so far.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:30pm
2-0
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 9:40pm
Any rumours on any contenders?
niall76 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niall76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:15pm
I'm looking forward to seeing my first Rovers game on July 2. I'm coming from Australia - is there a pub the supporters get a pint at first and am I right in thinking I can just buy a ticket at the ground? Í'm an Evertonian doing a Seamus Coleman pilgrimage - LOL - Killybegs to Sligo via Ballybofey for the NW Derby.
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:30pm
Yeah you'll be able to buy a ticket at the ground. More then one if you want!

Supporters usually go to Mooneys which is just across the road from the entrance 
niall76 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niall76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

Yeah you'll be able to buy a ticket at the ground. More then one if you want!

Supporters usually go to Mooneys which is just across the road from the entrance 
Thanks! I just realised from another thread that the match will be off on July 2. Shamrock Rovers will be in Europe on June 29.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 3:42pm
The game could still go ahead on the Sunday.  It is probably fixed for that day because of the Europa League.  

Now it may get moved and it may depend on who Shamrock Rovers draw in Europe and if they are at home or away first.  If booking anything try and get free cancellation.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:41pm
A fortnight on from Sligo Rovers sacking Dave Robertson as manager, they have been turned down by Steven Reid.

The former Ireland international, who won 23 caps, is currently a first team coach at Championship side Reading.

The Irish Independent's Daniel McDonnell reports today that the 36-year-old rejected the opportunity to talk with Sligo Rovers regarding the role at the Showgrounds.

Reid is currently working under ex-Man Utd and Holland centre-back Jaap Stam at Reading. With three games of the season remaining, the club have all but secured a playoff place.

They are currently third in the table, six points behind Newcastle in the second automatic promotion spot and six points ahead of Leeds, who currently sit just outside the playoff places.

The possibility of working in the Premier League next season appears to have trumped to chance to manage in the League of Ireland for Reid.

The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:51pm
In fairness, why on earth would he leave Reading for a League of Ireland job
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:03pm
If there was even any truth to that story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 42>
  Share Topic