Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sky Sports to go bust?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:15pm
Love you xxx
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:17pm

P.S. - π/ ∞
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If they were from a place where 'sheesh' would sound equally sharp or harsh, then yes, I would. The fact is though, I have only ever heard the term from people from your part of the world. So the word conjures the sound up. 
See, that bit is simply untrue, so it is.

And you know it, so you do.

In fact, if you google the origin of "sheesh", in the absence of any obvious derivation, various suggestions include a Turkish term; a variation of "Jesus"; a word used in baseball statistics; or one popularised by Lebron James etc:

Nowhere does anyone suggest that it's Norn Irish/Ulster Scots/Nordie etc.

I would imagine anybody from the Irish Republic is dead, with a few exceptions. Any that would be alive are unlikely to be posting on here. Then again, you know that and are aiming to be petty.

Maybe stop being so sensitive and taking everything so serious. -2/19
"Petty"? "Sensitive"? "Serious"?

From the man who's objecting to my use of "Irish Republic"?

LOL

Oh and by the way, don't think that any of this deflects from your gratuitous use of the term "Nordie" in the first place. Which you've still been unable to explain satisfactorily, even after three (four?) attempts Wink

P.S. You do realise that by spinning it out, you're only making it harder for you to use in future posts- even when you're absolutely dying to! Clap

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 2:34pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:40pm
Terrance is   a  jovial   FELLOW

Q.  Fancy a pint Terrance?
A  Are you assuming because I am from northern EIRE that I have to conform to a racial stereotyping that I am somehow a heavy drinker?

Image result for william ulsterman

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

If they were from a place where 'sheesh' would sound equally sharp or harsh, then yes, I would. The fact is though, I have only ever heard the term from people from your part of the world. So the word conjures the sound up. 

In fact, if you google the origin of "sheesh", in the absence of any obvious derivation, various suggestions include a Turkish term; a variation of "Jesus"; a word used in baseball statistics; or one popularised by Lebron James etc:

I would imagine anybody from the Irish Republic is dead, with a few exceptions. Any that would be alive are unlikely to be posting on here. Then again, you know that and are aiming to be petty.

LOL

Oh and by the way, don't think that any of this deflects from your gratuitous use of the term "Nordie" in the first place. Which you've still been unable to explain satisfactorily, even after three (four?) attempts Wink

P.S. You do realise that by spinning it out, you're only making it harder for you to use in future posts- even when you're absolutely dying to! Clap

I wasn't sensitive to you using the term' Irish Republic', I honestly couldn't give a f**k. I was just acknowledging that I understood why you deliberately used the term.

I had also never heard of LeBron James,  I have no interest in American sports, but maybe I had heard the word  before elsewhere , unknowingly. It is certainly possible. However, when I saw the word written down I immediately thought of the DUP, I remember hearing Shammy Wilshon use it once, to much horror and amusement.

I don't see what is gratuitous about the term 'Nordie', nor do I see what I have to explain. It is you that has taken umbrage with it, so it isn't up to me to explain anything. I have no problem withe the term 'Nordie' and I certainly don't see how this interaction is going to change my use of the term 'Nordie' in the future. In fact, seeing as the word 'Nordie' seems to annoy you so much, I will probably use 'Nordie' a lot more. In saying that, I don't think I will ever be dying to use 'Nordie' at all, but I may want to use 'Nordie', or maybe not. Maybe I will never use 'Nordie' again. Apart from that 'Nordie'. And that 'Nordie'.

I better stop now, as I am getting 'sausage McMuffin' stuck in my head due to a conversation with a fella once in Donegal. That's another term I associate with 'Nordies'. Drat! I have used 'Nordie' again. And again!
'Sheesh'!

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Feb 2019 at 2:55pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

A  Are you assuming because I am from northern EIRE that I have to conform to a racial stereotyping that I am somehow a heavy drinker?

I wonder is it all a clever subterfuge. Does he come on here to act like William Ulsterman, which is certainly how he comes across, and then posts links back to OWC to show how uncivil we are to NI fans.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:48pm

LOL

I wasn't sensitive to you using the Irish Republic, I honestly couldn't give a f**k. I was just acknowledging that I understood why you deliberately used the term.

I had also never heard of LeBron James,  I have no interest in American sports, but maybe I had heard it before elsewhere , unknowingly. It is certainly possible. However, when I saw the word written down I immediately thought of the DUP, I remember hearing Shammy Wilshon use it once, to much horror and amusement.

I don't see what is gratuitous about the term 'Nordie', nor do I see what I have to explain. It is you that has taken umbrage with it, so it isn't up to me to explain anything. I have no problem withe the term 'Nordie' and I certainly don't see how this interaction is going to change my use of the term 'Nordie' in the future. In fact, seeing as the word 'Nordie' seems to annoy you so much, I will probably use 'Nordie' a lot more. In saying that, I don't think I will ever be dying to use 'Nordie' at all, but I may want to use 'Nordie', or maybe not. Maybe I will never use 'Nordie' again. Apart from that 'Nordie'. And that 'Nordie'.

I better stop now, as I am getting 'sausage McMuffin' stuck in my head due to a conversation with a fella once in Donegal. That's another term I associate with 'Nordies'. Drat! I have used 'Nordie' again. And again!
'Sheesh'!

LOL

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm
Holy f**k!!!
You wouldn’t want to start a bit of banter with the cork boy or the ulster boy would you???
Offend us at your perilLOL
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:54pm
Both either end of the same dildo LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:35pm

I wasn't sensitive to you using the term' Irish Republic', I honestly couldn't give a f**k. I was just acknowledging that I understood why you deliberately used the term.
Er, because it's Irish and a Republic? 
When I was growing up, it was routinely referred to as "The Free State" - by "both sides of the house", and (I think) on both sides of the border. But I guess you wouldn't like that, either.
Anyhow, in future I shall use "ROI" - quickest, easiest and conforming with the title of your football team. 
Unless you do give a f**k about that.
Though I'll probably still use it anyhow, so I will. LOL

I don't see what is gratuitous about the term 'Nordie', nor do I see what I have to explain. It is you that has taken umbrage with it, so it isn't up to me to explain anything.
Ah, now, you're being disingenuous, so you are.
You see, the term "Nordie" isn't in itself gratuitous, so it's not.
Rather my point was that as with previous instances, your use of the term in that context was, so it was.
I mean, my original point was about an article on the Premier League etc, so it was. The fact that I'm a Nordie had nothing whatsoever to do with my point, so it didn't, yet you chose to bring it into the conversation, so you did, entirely unnecessarily, so it was.

I have no problem withe the term 'Nordie' and I certainly don't see how this interaction is going to change my use of the term 'Nordie' in the future. In fact, seeing as the word 'Nordie' seems to annoy you so much, I will probably use 'Nordie' a lot more. In saying that, I don't think I will ever be dying to use 'Nordie' at all, but I may want to use 'Nordie', or maybe not. Maybe I will never use 'Nordie' again. Apart from that 'Nordie'. And that 'Nordie'.

'Sheesh'!
Overcompensating. I'd have expected something rather subtler, so I would.

2/10 again.

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:47pm

Ah jaysus, I'm beginning to worry I might have got you wrong earlier.

Maybe you're this one?

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2019 at 6:48pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:49pm

Er, because it's Irish and a Republic? 
When I was growing up, it was routinely referred to as "The Free State" - by "both sides of the house", and (I think) on both sides of the border. But I guess you wouldn't like that, either.
Anyhow, in future I shall use "ROI" - quickest, easiest and conforming with the title of your football team. 
Unless you do give a f**k about that.
Though I'll probably still use it anyhow, so I will. LOL

I don't see what is gratuitous about the term 'Nordie', nor do I see what I have to explain. It is you that has taken umbrage with it, so it isn't up to me to explain anything.
Ah, now, you're being disingenuous, so you are.
You see, the term "Nordie" isn't in itself gratuitous, so it's not.
Rather my point was that as with previous instances, your use of the term in that context was, so it was.
I mean, my original point was about an article on the Premier League etc, so it was. The fact that I'm a Nordie had nothing whatsoever to do with my point, so it didn't, yet you chose to bring it into the conversation, so you did, entirely unnecessarily, so it was.

I have no problem withe the term 'Nordie' and I certainly don't see how this interaction is going to change my use of the term 'Nordie' in the future. In fact, seeing as the word 'Nordie' seems to annoy you so much, I will probably use 'Nordie' a lot more. In saying that, I don't think I will ever be dying to use 'Nordie' at all, but I may want to use 'Nordie', or maybe not. Maybe I will never use 'Nordie' again. Apart from that 'Nordie'. And that 'Nordie'.

'Sheesh'!
Overcompensating. I'd have expected something rather subtler, so I would.

2/10 again.
And you used a word that made me think of Wor Shammy. Don't read too much in to it. There is sensitive and then there's this.  I'm not being disingenuous. I will continue to use 'Nordie' to describe everything north of Cavan.

And why are you typing like that? Is that supposed to be a slur on the way people from the south speak? Is that your attempt at a retort? I  say retort,  I don't know what has annoyed you at all, other than that I mentioned you're a Nordie. Maybe it would be easier to ignore if you didn't keep bringing it up or acting like  William Ulsterman!

P.S As previously said, it doesn't bother me what you call it; by it I mean the 26 county state. It is just a bit hypocritical(again!) to be complaining about being called a 'Nordie', or that it was brought up, while assuming you can upset me or that I "wouldn't like" a term of description for a state being used. In doing so, you are prescribing to me opinions based on where I am from. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 19 Feb 2019 at 6:51pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:10pm

And you used a word that made me think of Wor Shammy. Don't read too much in to it. There is sensitive and then there's this.  I'm not being disingenuous. I will continue to use 'Nordie' to describe everything north of Cavan.

And why are you typing like that? Is that supposed to be a slur on the way people from the south speak? Is that your attempt at a retort? I  say retort,  I don't know what has annoyed you at all, other than that I mentioned you're a Nordie. Maybe it would be easier to ignore if you didn't keep bringing it up or acting like  William Ulsterman!

P.S As previously said, it doesn't bother me what you call it; by it I mean the 26 county state. It is just a bit hypocritical(again!) to be complaining about being called a 'Nordie', or that it was brought up, while assuming you can upset me or that I "wouldn't like" a term of description for a state being used. In doing so, you are prescribing to me opinions based on where I am from. 
I'm not "annoyed" at being called a Nordie, or complaining about it, so I'm not. I mean, I've been called a lot worse, so I have.

But my original question remains unanswered, so it does, namely why you even thought to bring up the fact of my being a Nordie in the first place? I mean, would you have thought to mention the background of the poster had he/she been from some other part of Ireland, or from England, or from  further afield? 

As I say, it marks you out as maybe not being that much separated from some of the more rabid posters who the minute they see my user name, pretty much stop reading what I've written, and instead see something else entirely which conforms to their stereotyped image of me as Hun/Orange/Bigot/Prod/DUP etc and reply accordingly. So they do.

Anyhow, your above effort was hardly any better than previous ones, so I'm afraid it's another 2/10, so it is.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:25pm
Do you like Easter eggs?

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:38pm
William Ulsterman Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:39pm

I'm not "annoyed" at being called a Nordie, or complaining about it, so I'm not. I mean, I've been called a lot worse, so I have.

But my original question remains unanswered, so it does, namely why you even thought to bring up the fact of my being a Nordie in the first place? I mean, would you have thought to mention the background of the poster had he/she been from some other part of Ireland, or from England, or from  further afield? 

As I say, it marks you out as maybe not being that much separated from some of the more rabid posters who the minute they see my user name, pretty much stop reading what I've written, and instead see something else entirely which conforms to their stereotyped image of me as Hun/Orange/Bigot/Prod/DUP etc and reply accordingly. So they do.

Anyhow, your above effort was hardly any better than previous ones, so I'm afraid it's another 2/10, so it is.
I have answered it. I'll do so again and simply: if a person had made abundantly clear they were from a place and used a word or phrase that immediately thought of that place, especially if I felt the post had been poorly written, then  yes, I would have brought it up. Words I would consider off the top of my head, as well as the areas whose pronunciation would have led to such a reaction (although many probably wouldn't be used as one word asides, making it more difficult to pull out)

Cork City: tambourine
West Cork: Shhhtop it, will ooo(phonetically spelt)
Wexfordian(?):Quarin'
Dublin: too many and have before
Scottish: Defanitely (spelt phonetically), bawbag(spelt phonetically), ask Tones
Cardiffian: Cardiff; toothbrush
Nordie: sheesh; sausage McMuffin
Dutch: I am sure poor Shteve has had his name derided
Geordie/NE England; why aye( Ask DM, etc)
Etc. 
I also never mentioned your background. I have never assumed your background, other than to imply that you may come here to look to be offended, which this little diversion tends to confirm. All I assumed was you have a 'Nordie' accent, that is the accent of nearly everyone north of Cavan, regardless of passports, borders and cultures.

P.S Well done on avoiding where I pulled your preconceived ideals up.

P.PS. Thanks for the diversion today.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:24pm
Jaysus are you two still going LOL
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:31pm

Do you like Easter eggs?
Probably but his favorite month is MARCH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic