You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sky Sports to go bust?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Sky Sports to go bust?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Message
coyne View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Location: Sunderland
Status: Offline
Points: 13258
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

When was the last time I spoke about the EPL?

As said before I've spent more time talking about League 1 it's that uninteresting! And it's not bitterness either I think League 1 is a very equal playing field, even so much that Jordanian Bankers have failed to succeed in. Would you not agree if the EPL was equal it would be far more entertaining? It's not even statistically the most entertaining either - Despite all the negatives Serie A gets for being "tactical" it actually averaged the most goals per game out of the top 10 leagues in the world last season.

I suppose Spanish League was a poor example to give as it's far from equal due to how they distribute TV money but teams like Las Palmas who have insanely low budgets do play a better brand of football than most EPL teams despite the massive differences in quality.

 
2 days ago talking about Everton signing Michael Keane for £30m
You were also talking about Delle Alli in the Man United thread, and discussing Southamptons new manager as well in that thread in the past few days
 
 


Talking about 2 players doesn't classify as "talking about the league" It's not exactly watching 90 minute matches week in!

I'll watch the occasional Huddersfield and Newcastle match but any top 4 match I wouldnt even I was paid to
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar
Fresh minty breath

Joined: 01 Mar 2010
Location: London
Status: Online
Points: 13242
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:26pm
BBC after picking up England's t20 matches. Another chink in the sky armour.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Back to Top
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 26397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

When was the last time I spoke about the EPL?

As said before I've spent more time talking about League 1 it's that uninteresting! And it's not bitterness either I think League 1 is a very equal playing field, even so much that Jordanian Bankers have failed to succeed in. Would you not agree if the EPL was equal it would be far more entertaining? It's not even statistically the most entertaining either - Despite all the negatives Serie A gets for being "tactical" it actually averaged the most goals per game out of the top 10 leagues in the world last season.

I suppose Spanish League was a poor example to give as it's far from equal due to how they distribute TV money but teams like Las Palmas who have insanely low budgets do play a better brand of football than most EPL teams despite the massive differences in quality.


Bump
Back to Top
coyne View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Location: Sunderland
Status: Offline
Points: 13258
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 2:53pm
You still banging on cos you were called out by multiple people for talking sh*te LOLEmbarrassed

Edited by coyne - 23 Jul 2017 at 2:59pm
Back to Top
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 26397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm
Just reminding you of quotes you claim to never have made

Back to Top
coyne View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Location: Sunderland
Status: Offline
Points: 13258
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 5:19pm
So where's the one where I claimed I preferred Serie A over EPL? LOL

Or even when was the last time I spoke about the EPL in general other than give an opinion on a player? At the end of the day I'm entitled to an opinion whether you like it or not. No one else gives a f**k what the other persons interests are aside from you because you made a joke in the other thread which totally backfired.

It's as simple as that really. Stop acting like a petulant child 


Edited by coyne - 23 Jul 2017 at 5:29pm
Back to Top
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 12302
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:54pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Back to Top
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 26397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

So where's the one where I claimed I preferred Serie A over EPL? LOL

Or even when was the last time I spoke about the EPL in general other than give an opinion on a player? At the end of the day I'm entitled to an opinion whether you like it or not. No one else gives a f**k what the other persons interests are aside from you because you made a joke in the other thread which totally backfired.

It's as simple as that really. Stop acting like a petulant child 







You're on here every day commenting on some EPL related subject

Not sure why you took such offence to me in the first place stating a fact anyway, that Sterling gets booed in the vast majority of away games, each to their own though
Back to Top
coyne View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Location: Sunderland
Status: Offline
Points: 13258
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 10:54pm
I didnt take offence, I just disliked the fact you singled me out for a comeback, felt like a very personal unnecessary jab at me.
Back to Top
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 26397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I didnt take offence, I just disliked the fact you singled me out for a comeback, felt like a very personal unnecessary jab at me.


A tad hypocritical you saying I made it personal when you mentioned my woman twice in your nonsensical replies
Back to Top
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
Spoofer Supreme

Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Location: Madagascar
Status: Offline
Points: 8096
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 11:37pm
Sketch lads here's the teacher
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do
Back to Top
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
Man City records obsession

Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Dundalk
Status: Offline
Points: 6396
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
https://www.football365.com/news/the-future-of-premier-league-football-on-tv-part-one

Good article- the viewing figures seem a bit low.

However I do think the TV money what sky/by will pay has peaked.

Back to Top
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar

Joined: 09 Dec 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 5959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

https://www.football365.com/news/the-future-of-premier-league-football-on-tv-part-one

Good article- the viewing figures seem a bit low.

However I do think the TV money what sky/by will pay has peaked.
Was reading a book about this recently, basically saying that Sky boosted the figures massively back in the late 90s, despite bidding against nobody at the time. Their logic was that they bid so much that nobody else would ever compete. Once the teams saw the contract they snapped it up, and now they've all got used to the big contracts that they can't do without Sky/BT money.
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Grinds my gears.

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 33196
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

https://www.football365.com/news/the-future-of-premier-league-football-on-tv-part-one

Good article- the viewing figures seem a bit low.

However I do think the TV money what sky/by will pay has peaked.
I always like his writing, even if the site itself is pretty awful and part of the problem! His book on football was great, can't say I am too tempted by his crime novels set in his hometown though.

Anyway, football certainly isn't the 'same as it ever was', as it is far, far more predictable. I love football, but the last EPL game I watched was the Watford- Palace game I attended last season. I am not the only one to feel this way. As his figures suggest, the interest in the EPL, I mean outside of clubs people support, but as a whole, is quite low in England. For people living in Ireland, this is probably quite hard to understand. The league is bigger there than here and has, I assume, stayed constantly popular. 
Match of the Day figures were in and around 5 million a decade ago, now they are below 4 million. The last available figures are for September 15th, 3.65 million. I think the highest figure in recent years, although I am open to correction, was 4.1 million for Lineker in his jokes. 
The same can be said of FA Cup figures on BBC, including the final. These are all on terrestrial television. I understand there is more ways to get highlights now, but a lot of people are connected to one team and not the game or the league.

'But is that really what we want? Even more money for top clubs?' 
It doesn't matter what we want though, does it? It isn't the people's game any more. In fact, it isn't a game anymore. It is a business. Go on the message boards of any EPL  team, fans are as interested in balance sheets and finances as they are the game itself. The top six this year will be the same next year, and the year after, and the only way it will change is if some other dodgy git, or sports businessman, or whatever else they are, comes in and decides Newcastle/Norwich/Accrington have the potential to make him/her/them look less of a ****. Or you have a 'miracle' like Leicester, a club with a questionable financial record were taken over by a billionaire who made his money questionably. That is deemed a fairytale because, despite all the possible faults, it is the best the fans of most teams can dream of.
The owners of most of the top franchises don't care about the sport, don't give a f**k about the fans and certainly don't care about making football less attractive, certainly not to UK audiences at least, because for every person who used to go regularly to watch Arsenal/Chelsea/Tottenham and fell out of love with it, they have thousands across the globe to replace them and make even more money. One lad's season ticket, a dozen pies and a jersey is a lot less than a few thousand jerseys, bedsheets and the rest. It feels inevitable, at some stage, that the largest teams will have the rights to their own matches and broadcast them worldwide. They won't give a f**k if the stadium is empty or nobody in England is that bothered anymore.
you were probably told to leave an Irish centre one night but kept mouthing off and some big church going Gaa player f**ked you out the door hence your hatred for the Catholic Church and Gaa aswell!
Back to Top
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
Man City records obsession

Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Dundalk
Status: Offline
Points: 6396
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:40pm
part II is also very good 


Who wants to pay for a model that created this? It has in turn made an existential crisis for the clubs that sit between 7th and 17th in the Premier League. What are they for? Can’t win the league, won’t try to win a cup for fear of losing top flight status, they have been left hanging on in a deathless void, seemingly only existing in order to keep on existing, in order to over pay increasingly mediocre talent, in order to keep the money rolling in, in order to hang on in a deathless void, only existing in order to overpay mediocre talent in order to keep the money rolling in. It is a circle of pointlessness which only relegation can cleanse. And all because of TV money.


Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 11 Feb 2019 at 1:42pm

Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Grinds my gears.

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 33196
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

part II is also very good 


Who wants to pay for a model that created this? It has in turn made an existential crisis for the clubs that sit between 7th and 17th in the Premier League. What are they for? Can’t win the league, won’t try to win a cup for fear of losing top flight status, they have been left hanging on in a deathless void, seemingly only existing in order to keep on existing, in order to over pay increasingly mediocre talent, in order to keep the money rolling in, in order to hang on in a deathless void, only existing in order to overpay mediocre talent in order to keep the money rolling in. It is a circle of pointlessness which only relegation can cleanse. And all because of TV money.
It is very well put and it is hard to disagree with any of it. The one problem remains though and that is the people who run the 'clubs'. These are football clubs second, businesses first and, by and large, they don't really give a f**k about the local fan because there is more money to be made elsewhere.

His third point is the most salient. One of the major factors in making English football so fascinating to those outside of England is the large away followings, the natural  regional rivalries which are based on tradition and history,  the depth in support outside the top sides and biggest cities and the intensity and hostility this brought. I am not in any way suggesting hooliganism helped market the game, but there is no question that the needle and atmosphere is a massive part of the attraction.
Attendances are still healthy, I don't believe there has been much change in home figures, but there had been a slight drop in away fans, which is why there was a reaction from the league regarding ticket prices.
I think this realisation should be exploited by the fans. It is the one way to make the league listen, the pathway to rectifying all of the other problems he mentioned. If all fans started boycotting away games the EPL would start treating them with respect and is something that should unite all fans for the good of the game. Unfortunately, that isn't likely.
you were probably told to leave an Irish centre one night but kept mouthing off and some big church going Gaa player f**ked you out the door hence your hatred for the Catholic Church and Gaa aswell!
Back to Top
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Joined: 28 Jan 2010
Status: Online
Points: 26397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:37pm
Can't see that happening PM. Wasn't there a cap of £30 put on away tickets last week by EPL clubs.
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Grinds my gears.

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 33196
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Can't see that happening PM. Wasn't there a cap of £30 put on away tickets last week by EPL clubs.
Neither can I, but I think it is the one thing that can save the game. It might be the only way. You are correct about the cap, I mentioned it above. The fact that they did that shows how scared they are of losing away fans, they know how important they are in selling the game. They certainly didn't do it out of empathy for lads who like to spend their Saturdays drinking lukewarm lager on trains.
you were probably told to leave an Irish centre one night but kept mouthing off and some big church going Gaa player f**ked you out the door hence your hatred for the Catholic Church and Gaa aswell!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.