You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Robbie Keane start the play-off if fit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Poll Question: Should Robbie Keane start the play-off if fit?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [77.08%]
22 [22.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 5:31am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Robbie has to start absolute madness not to. We need his goals badly if he had been fit for Armenia would have definitely put away one of the chances that fell to our strikers on the night.Himself and Cox did well together in Skopje.

What makes you think he would have scored?he missed some great chances in the last few hes played in+looks sluggish+rusty
we also have strikers who are playing well+scoring goals at the moment
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Sponsored Links

Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 5:31am
Long was very impressive at the weekend alright- he never stops running- i would pick walters and long for the first game
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
GingerPele View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerPele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 5:42am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1394416/Robbie-Keane-half-century-leaves-sitting-pretty-British-Irish-goalscoring-charts.html

I think his contribution to all round play has been poor recently but his ability to get the goal in tight games should always see him picked. Thought I'd post this link, important to put his 51 international goals in context!
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 5:53am

You'd still have to pick Keane because of his nack of scoring big goals for us when it matters. But if he's having a bad game i wouldn't be as reluctant to take him off as before. Long was immense on Sunday and has a genuine case to be starting. Cox and Walters have impressed too so it's time for Keane and Doyle to step up to the plate. Keane's in the twilight of his Ireland career but if he's not performing then there's no time for sentiment and he should be taken off - but still merits a start if fit.

67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Il Trap Il Trap wrote:

According to quotes in today's Star, Keano says he'll be fit and rarin' to go for both legs of the playoff!! Clap

He said he was ok against Andorra and ended up making his injury worse. Muscle injuries you can't rush them. If he rushes back with no game time behind him then I wouldn't play him. He needs to be 100%. I think with our alternative options available in Walters, Long, Cox and even Best, it is too much of a risk to be playing someone 70-80% fit, even if it is our all time record goalscorer
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:13am
If Keane is fit I'd say it will be Long and Keane starting, as it seems Trap considers Long to be Doyles replacement and Cox to be Keane's. Keane not fit, it will be Long and Cox (finally Long Cox....the headlines write themselves...."Estonia buggered by Long Cox") That will still leave the option of Walters to come off the bench and potentially Best too. I fancy ANY of the above mentioned strikers to get goals

Edited by DangerHere - 18 Oct 2011 at 6:16am
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:21am
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

If Keane is fit I'd say it will be Long and Keane starting, as it seems Trap considers Long to be Doyles replacement and Cox to be Keane's. Keane not fit, it will be Long and Cox (finally Long Cox....the headlines write themselves...."Estonia buggered by Long Cox") That will still leave the option of Walters to come off the bench and potentially Best too. I fancy ANY of the above mentioned strikers to get goals
Cox and Keane started in Macedonia
considering Long has had fook all game time in the last 2,i reckon he has no chance of starting unfortunetly
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:28am

Don't forget the venue is called Le Coq.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:30am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Cox and Keane started in Macedonia
considering Long has had fook all game time in the last 2,i reckon he has no chance of starting unfortunetly

Oh I know they did yeah, but since then he has said that he sees Cox as a Keane style player and Long as a Doyle style player. I presume that is why Cox started against Armenia ahead of Long.

I had forgotten that the stadium was Le Coq.....you couldn't make this stuff up ClapClap

Edited by DangerHere - 18 Oct 2011 at 6:46am
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:38am
Doyle has been well of the pace the last three games too. We're blessed we have some good options up front.

Keane and Doyle are not undroppable and Trapattoni isn't doing his job if he doesn't look at alternatives
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:53am
Reality is Keane would need to have a leg hanging off him for Trap not to pick him. And Robbie has done the business in playoffs in the past, so if fit, he should start. The lads behind him in the pecking order may put in more mileage and industry during games but Trap will never pick them ahead of a fit Keane...or Doyle for that matter.
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:54am
Keane would need to have had a game or two under his belt before playing in the playoff. He's not playing well and he has missed a handful of sitters for us in recent games. My feeling is Long and Walters.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Keane would need to have had a game or two under his belt before playing in the playoff. He's not playing well and he has missed a handful of sitters for us in recent games. My feeling is Long and Walters.
But he started Cox in the last game +did very well!!
on a side note O Shea left full+Coleman right full would keep me happy
el2nz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el2nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 6:58am
Why would Trap drop Cox? If Robbie's not fit then he'll stick with him. Remember, Trap always goes by what he's gotten from people before. So Walters won't get a start unless it's instead of Robbie/Long.
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:07am
If Robbie is fit he starts no questions asked (and so he should) - the real worry is 60% fit Robbie starting and Trap refusing to take him off when clearly knackered after 50 minutes.

If Robbie isn't fully fit it has to be Long Cox up front with Walters as an ideal battering ram in last 25 mins as centre backs are knackered from chasing Long all night!
Team Emmet
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:13am
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

You'd still have to pick Keane because of his nack of scoring big goals for us when it matters. But if he's having a bad game i wouldn't be as reluctant to take him off as before. Long was immense on Sunday and has a genuine case to be starting. Cox and Walters have impressed too so it's time for Keane and Doyle to step up to the plate. Keane's in the twilight of his Ireland career but if he's not performing then there's no time for sentiment and he should be taken off - but still merits a start if fit.

Indeed. If he's not playing well or looking badly out of sorts, he should be subbed.

Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

Robbie was a great player but unfortunately in his last 3 games he has a been a pale shadow of his former self. I for one would not start Robbie in he play off's, Walter's and Long are in much better form than Robbie at the moment. How anyone can say Robbie is world class at the moment is beyond me.
So we judge him solely on his last three games?
Once again, he's our top scorer in this campaign with five goals.
Lads calling for Keane to be dropped, need their heads examined.
Quite simply we don't have another player of his calibre who gets into goal scoring opportunities, regardless of the missed chances.

Incidently, if Trap only sees Long as a direct replacement for Doyle, on current form, he too should be starting
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:13am
Originally posted by BrenC BrenC wrote:

If Robbie is fit he starts no questions asked (and so he should) - the real worry is 60% fit Robbie starting and Trap refusing to take him off when clearly knackered after 50 minutes.

If Robbie isn't fully fit it has to be Long Cox up front with Walters as an ideal battering ram in last 25 mins as centre backs are knackered from chasing Long all night!
There is a difference between being injury free+being fit,and he certaintly wont be match fit
but ye could argue that he hasnt been fit for a while now
GreenPodge View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:19am
Hes the man with the experience in playoffs so no doubt he should start, also hes our captain and hes our top scorer in this campaign, needed a ridiculous own goal and our centre back to get the goals against Armenia. Also Trap will start him if he is anywhere near fit!! Stern Smile but the problem is how fit will he be, not very id say Thumbs Down
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic