Poll Question: Yes or No simple really
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
102 [82.26%]
22 [17.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:50pm
a key fact if it is financial will be are they prepared to pay him off mid way through another contract this may help or come against him.

One sure way around this is win a few games a take the decision out of the FAI’s hands
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Based on results alone, he has to go. To my mind, this is beyond argument.

However, the decision won't be made on the basis of results alone. 

The main reason that will be taken into consideration here is finance. We all know that the fai are on their uppers financially. On this basis alone he may receive a new offer because he is affordable not because he has been tearing it up on the field.

Even Allardyce will command wages that the FAI cannot afford.

Wait one minute, Big Sam is available? Get Denis O’B on the phone, we need to pull out all the stops, the messiah has risen 
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:17am
Based on results alone, he should be gone. No question. We could still finish bottom of this group. Shocking stuff.

However, he is introducing lots of new young talent, many of whom are only starting out with their clubs and really have little or no experience of big time football. Experience is only gained by playing.

He needs to learn fast on the job. Some of the tactical decisions are just wrong, even with the players available. He needs to mix up the possession based tactics that are causing pandemonium in our defence.  But for the arrival of a top class young keeper, we would have been looking at poundings recently.

I'm on the fence till after the next NL.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:40am
Saw this posted on Twitter; 

"Say what you want about Stephen Kenny but at least this year our YPOTY award won't be won by a 25-year old"

Fair point LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Saw this posted on Twitter; 

"Say what you want about Stephen Kenny but at least this year our YPOTY award won't be won by a 25-year old"

Fair point LOL

LOL Funnily enough I was just saying that to someone yesterday. Plenty of competition this year. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Should he be given a new contract - what at this point in time? Of course not. We are competing with literally nobody for this man's services, nobody outside of Ireland would want him.

Kenny has given lots of caps to lots of young players. Given the situation we're in any manager would have done that to some extent anyway - they would have had to. But he has gone further than others might have done. For that he deserves some credit.

However, his teams on the field have been poorly set up, inconsistent and confused in terms of selection and naive in terms of how they have tried to play. This all comes back to him. He looks out of his depth tactically at this level. He is trying to play a type of football that we don't have the players to play unfortunately. He should be criticised for that, not applauded. 

Serbia was another low for me. Sure we fluked a draw off a Serbian lads arse, but that was as bad a performance as the early Nations League games and showed again that we are not progressing here at all. It's a shame because, like most, I wanted the Kenny project to work out, but it is clear to anyone not too attached to their initial opinions that it is not going to. No matter how many good young players he throws in there he is sadly not capable, tactically, of getting the best from them. That's not going to change no matter how much anyone wants it to.

There will be long term benefits to the Kenny era but we will only get those benefits when he is no longer in charge and a more tactically capable manager comes along who can get the best from the players that Kenny has blooded. Realistically we're not going to qualify for 2024 under Kenny and world cups are near impossible to get to, so honestly we're looking at 2028 at best for a finals tournament if we keep him on past the end of this campaign. Just as an example, Caoimhin Kelleher will be 30 that year, Josh Cullen and Ryan Manning will be 32. It's a short career, the years move on quickly for these lads while we're all still talking about "long term development".

There's a fine line between developing a new generation of talent and throwing it away. If we keep Kenny beyond this campaign we're in serious danger of doing the latter. 

So, while he's here for the rest of this campaign now, thanks mostly to Gavin Bazunu and a Serbian defensive f**k up, that really needs to be it. I would have no issue with him taking on some kind of technical director role however, which may be more suited to his player development abilities. He's the wrong head coach though, that won't change.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:06am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Should he be given a new contract - what at this point in time? Of course not. We are competing with literally nobody for this man's services, nobody outside of Ireland would want him.

Other side of that coin is who would Ireland be head hunting as our next manager. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:14am

Should he be given a new contract - what at this point in time? Of course not. 

Is the correct answer. Literally no point in giving someone a contract 6 games before a contract is up. But this is another anti SK thread set up to have a go at the manager, there’s no one campaigning for him to be given an extension at this time. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Should he be given a new contract - what at this point in time? Of course not. 

Is the correct answer. Literally no point in giving someone a contract 6 games before a contract is up. But this is another anti SK thread set up to have a go at the manager, there’s no one campaigning for him to be given an extension at this time. 

To be fair, the Off the Ball crowd were banging the new contract drum big time after the Portugal game. That's really where all the talk generated from. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic