You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shay Given

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm
I'm sure I read somewhere that the pundits here are getting between €1k and €2.5k an appearance. Presumably more on UK channels.

Met Given once. He was an arrogant prick but we all have off days!
Sponsored Links

GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:49pm
Anyone read his book. Just finished it there and it was a bit ... meh.
Some good stuff on his youth career and growing up. A lot of the Ireland stuff you'd have know before and I'm not a big PL fan so found myself skipping some pages.
He is obviously a private person. There was nothing about his current private life but loads about plenty about him growing up.

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 01 Feb 2018 at 1:50pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Anyone read his book. Just finished it there and it was a bit ... meh.
Some good stuff on his youth career and growing up. A lot of the Ireland stuff you'd have know before and I'm not a big PL fan so found myself skipping some pages.
He is obviously a private person. There was nothing about his current private life but loads about plenty about him growing up.

Yeah I read most of it. Skipped some of it as wouldn't have interest in some of it.  He said nothing interesting and basically didn't come across that well.

The bit that really annoyed me was him sneaking off to the German Team hotel at the 2012 Euros the day before the Croatia match to get treatment off his left knee and siad he couldn't jump off it. Yet the next day Croatia scored a slow motion header to Given's left and was obvious he wasn't fit.  yet he says he would do the same thing again.  Look we all know he was desperate to play but that was stupid and to then go on and defend his decision just came across as selfish.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 3:47pm
well we know he would do anything to play, like come back from retirement ...
this has all clouded out judgement on him, great keeper for us in his prime....
I suppose not every irish player has to be a 'great lad'
Come on Irelind
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

well we know he would do anything to play, like come back from retirement ...
this has all clouded out judgement on him, great keeper for us in his prime....
I suppose not every irish player has to be a 'great lad'

Given used to be one of my favourite players and was the best keeper we had. I was happy he wanted to play for his country but I was really pissed off with him for Euro 2012 and lost a lot of respect for him as I think it was selfish.  Yes we have had McGrath play injured but its a fine line to walk and he did the business unlike Given.  In fact he probably had his best game for Ireland in Giants stadium that day.  Given had a stinker of a tournament and 3 or 4 goals could have been prevented with a fit keeper.

Then coming back was just daft. This was over 2 years since  Trap told him he wanted to give the younger keepers a chance.  I noticed in his book not a word was given to David Forde.  He said when he came back he knew it would be tough and he would have to fight for a place with Randolph and Westwood. This despite the fact Forde was number 1 and playing well!  He mentions loyalty in his book and that keepers look out for each other.  Yet when Forde was disgracefully left out of Euro 2016 he never went to say hard luck etc .  Given was totally undeserving of a place at Euro 2016.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The bit that really annoyed me was him sneaking off to the German Team hotel at the 2012 Euros the day before the Croatia match to get treatment off his left knee and said he couldn't jump off it. Yet the next day Croatia scored a slow motion header to Given's left and was obvious he wasn't fit.  yet he says he would do the same thing again.  Look we all know he was desperate to play but that was stupid and to then go on and defend his decision just came across as selfish.

That is actually completely ridiculous. There's the obvious reason of why would you jeopardise the team, but also why would you want to play on such a big stage when you are clearly unable to perform to anywhere near an acceptable level? Poor from Given and the Ireland management team at the time for selecting him.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:18pm
It was selfish from Given but the blame lies solely with the management team for the decision to play him during the tournament.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:34pm
Jaysus Given was horrendous in those Euros
How the medical and management team passed him fit to play is amazing
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Jaysus Given was horrendous in those Euros
How the medical and management team passed him fit to play is amazing

I might read that part again but I think he had the goalkeeping coach and team doctor keep quiet about it.  The keepers train on their own usually too. Plus I'm sure Trap wanted him and if he said he was fit that was good enough for him.

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 7:32pm
I’ve got more respect for David Forde than Given. Leaving Forde out of the Euros for Given was nothing short of criminal by the management.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 8:00pm
Who would have played instead of Given at the Euros if he had been honest about his fitness?
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

I’ve got more respect for David Forde than Given. Leaving Forde out of the Euros for Given was nothing short of criminal by the management.

Disgusting alright....just shows there's always a click.
Clique
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Who would have played instead of Given at the Euros if he had been honest about his fitness?

Probably Westwood although he hadn't been getting his game for 6 months prior under MON at Sunderland I recall. 

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:06pm

Always likes forde thought he was hard done by
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Always likes forde thought he was hard done by

A great guy . He did very well for us overall and regardless of how it ended he can be proud of his time.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 11:30pm
Just finished reading his book also, didn't think it was great, is it just me or does it seem like he is trying his best to mention how much he enjoys a few beers every so often?! Some of his stories are funny but some are unnecessary as well. I too found it odd that there was no mention of Forde altogether.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 12:03am

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Disgusting alright....just shows there's always a click.
Clique

apologies...grammer police
I think you mean grammar...
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Just finished reading his book also, didn't think it was great, is it just me or does it seem like he is trying his best to mention how much he enjoys a few beers every so often?! Some of his stories are funny but some are unnecessary as well. I too found it odd that there was no mention of Forde altogether.

Never thought bout not mentioning Forde. Ya, every second page was about bonding over a few pints.

It might be only a small thing but saying 'Boxing Day' a few times pizzed me off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>
  Share Topic