You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shay Given hints at a comeback on OTB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 11:47am
The thing is people can huff and puff all they like, but if Given makes a couple of world class stops against Georgia and saves the game for us (as he did many times before), it's all forgotten about and he's flavour of the month. 

It all boils down to whether this risk pays off for O'Neill. 
Sponsored Links

Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:01pm
Forde was awful in the two games in America.  Misjudging the flight of the ball everytime it came into the box.  But I can't understand what Given brings.  He ha played one game and last night was as usual super glued to his line.  A very strange decision by O'Neill.  I don't rate any of our current keepers so can kind of understand why O'neill is making this decision.  But along with the playing of Ward and McClean I'm beginning to worry about this Georgia game all ready.  Hope it all works out.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:02pm
why stop at putting Shay in goals?

Let's start Roy Keane in central midfield. f**k it, bring back Niall Quinn, John Aldridge, etc etc
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:10pm
 This is absolutely brilliant if true!  The thing with soccer that most people just don't really get is goalkeeping is the single most important position in the whole team set-up.  By a country mile! 

Given was a calamity in Poland.  Otherwise however, he was always and hopefully still is one of the of truly world class players we have ever had. We are so fortunate to have a player like this at our disposal and in this most VITAL VITAL VITAL of positions!

Edited by Trapcandoit - 28 Aug 2014 at 12:12pm
5 goals to go Robbie!
benboview View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benboview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:12pm
If I was David Forde I would be seriously peeved if Given was to waltz back into No. 1.

Edited by benboview - 28 Aug 2014 at 12:12pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Trapcandoit Trapcandoit wrote:

This is absolutely brilliant if true!  The thing with soccer that most people just don't really get is goalkeeping is the single most important position in the whole team set-up.  By a country mile! 

Given was a calamity in Poland.  Otherwise however, he was always and hopefully still is one of the of truly world class players we have ever had. We are so fortunate to have a player like this at our disposal and in this most VITAL VITAL VITAL of positions!

Is this the same keeper who selfishly played in euro 2012 when he was patently unfit.

And he was never World Class - World Class goalkeepers dont play for mickey mouse teams like Newcastle. Take off the green tinted glasses.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 28 Aug 2014 at 12:22pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
heyirish View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:24pm
this completely undermines forde and westwood and surely means he is back for the full campaign.
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by benboview benboview wrote:

If I was David Forde I would be seriously peeved if Given was to waltz back into No. 1.

Forde was very dodgy in America. The best players should be playing. If Given turns out to be better than Forde, then it's up to Forde to up his game. I just don't think he can.

Forde is the first time 30 years we've had a number 1 keeper who did not exactly inspire. It's understandable O'Neill would want Given back if he can still do it.
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:30pm
Would lose all confidence in MON is this is true.
AlanH View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

And he was never World Class - World Class goalkeepers dont play for mickey mouse teams like Newcastle. Take off the green tinted glasses.

What about world class strikers like Alan Shearer? Would he not play for a "mickey mouse" club?
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Trapcandoit Trapcandoit wrote:

Is this the same keeper who selfishly played in euro 2012 when he was patently unfit.

As I said he was a complete calamity in Poland, he selfishly lied about his injury and suffered a nervous meltdown between the posts so yes he is the same playerConfused  These points should be entirely forgiveable imv, feck sake RK had a second chance and that's working out fine.

As for his not being world class.  Jaysis, Given had what- seven clean sheets at the start of his international career?  I'm sure it was at least that.  Compare that to what we have now???  I don't want to damn David Forde here, but for God's sake!

Mickey mouse teams?  Newcastle??? Given's proved his worth against the Man Uniteds, the Chelseas the the Liverpools of the premier league with distinction for the best part of his whole career!  Again what have our other goal-keeping options done?

5 goals to go Robbie!
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:50pm
Really hope this isn't true as I feel coming back will tarnish his legacy.

Keane must have seen something in training to believe he can still play for Ireland.

Having only played less than 20 games in 20 months I would be extremely worried if he was to start in Georgia.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:56pm
I actually think it could be good for his legacy, his legacy is tarnished after Euro 2012.

A few decent games for Ireland and ppl will soon forget Poland.

Im not saying this is the right call by MON btw; just saying Given has little to lose.

He couldnt possibly be as bad as he was in Poland... Could he??!

Edited by rolo - 28 Aug 2014 at 12:57pm
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 12:56pm
I have no problem with anyone, Given, Bonner, Peyton, declaring themselves available for Ireland. What is hugely worrying is this mention of being guaranteed his place. That is hugely disrespectful, not just to the likes of Forde and Westwood, but tothe actual jersey. Nobody should be given(pun half intended) a shirt without earning it. 16 games for Boro is not earning it, not is a capital one cup game against Orient. He does nothing to desertve to be in the squad yet he wants to walk straight into the team? Even Stevie Ireland hasn't produced that sort of cheek!!
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:01pm
The one thing we can take as fact now is:

MON does not have complete confidence in the goalkeepers at his disposal right now. No matter what he says to the media, this shows he sees GK as a problem position.
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:01pm
While I agree with some that our pick of goalkeepers at the moment isn't great bringing back a keeper who hasn't played much in the past 2 years is a mistake.
If he's so desperate to play why is he happy to sit on Villa bench? Surely a championship club would take him
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:26pm
How many games would you get out of him realistacally if he came back?
He plays 2-3 games and gets injured(he is 38 and getting no game so injury highly likely)..MON then looking at the other lads saying ok ye will have to do.
Westwood for me is a damn fine keeper and should start the new campaign.

Edited by rainpaulo - 28 Aug 2014 at 1:29pm
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

this completely undermines forde and westwood and surely means he is back for the full campaign.

Forde undermined himself in his laughable performance against Portugal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic