You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shaun Williams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaun Williams
    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 10:31am
IRELAND wannabe Shaun Williams has hit out at his international snub, labelling it ‘confusing’.

The Millwall man is in the form of his life for the promotion-chasing Lions and felt he deserved a call-up for the friendly against Turkey this month.

But Martin O’Neill left the 31-year-old out.

Williams groaned: “It’s confusing and disappointing in terms of thinking of what you have to do to get into the squad.

“Obviously age may be a factor but if form is anything to go by, I don’t see why I shouldn’t be involved.”

Burnley’s Jeff Hendrick was the only Premier League midfielder involved in the 1-0 defeat in Antalya.

Championship duo Alan Browne, of Preston, and Aston Villa’s Conor Hourihane started alongside him.

Hull City’s David Meyler and Alan Judge of Brentford both came off the bench.

Millwall – unbeaten in 13 at home – host Nottingham Forest in the Championship today.

Ireland striker Aiden O’Brien (ankle) could return and Williams is hoping next time O’Neill comes to visit The Den, he summons the both of them.

The former Sporting Fingal man said: “I was obviously disappointed not to be selected for the squad.

“I don’t really know what more you have to do to get recognition.

“I know they have come to see Aiden, and I have played in most of the games this year.

“I’ve played in every game in this run we’re on at the minute so it is disappointing.

You can’t pick yourself but if I could I’d definitely have been in the squad.

“I’m not going to diss any player that’s in the squad, but where we are at the moment is a lot higher than a lot of people in the squad.”

As for his club’s position – just four points off the play-off sports – Williams is feeling optimistic.

Speaking to Southwark News, he added: “I speak to people at home and everyone is saying we’re flying, with a couple of swear words I can’t use!

“A next-door neighbour who is a great friend of ours stuck 100 quid on us to make the play-offs at 28-1. I’ll have to owe him a few drinks if we don’t do it.

-

I had completely forgotten about this lad. He appears to be on a good run of form, and Milwall could potentially make the play-offs. He's been a mainstay in the team in the past few months, and Milwall are in a seriously impressive vein of form.

Granted, his age (31) goes against him, but he's capable of playing in defence, or across midfield, and is playing regularly in the upper part of the Championship. 

He's probably worthy of a place in one of those 40 man squads, and should be given an opportunity in a friendly game.

We love citing the Northern Ireland or Iceland examples, and I'd argue that both of these teams would have no problem giving a lad like this a chance to impress. 

Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

IRELAND wannabe Shaun Williams has hit out at his international snub, labelling it ‘confusing’.

(From the Irish Sun)

The Millwall man is in the form of his life for the promotion-chasing Lions and felt he deserved a call-up for the friendly against Turkey this month.

But Martin O’Neill left the 31-year-old out.

Williams groaned: “It’s confusing and disappointing in terms of thinking of what you have to do to get into the squad.

“Obviously age may be a factor but if form is anything to go by, I don’t see why I shouldn’t be involved.”

Burnley’s Jeff Hendrick was the only Premier League midfielder involved in the 1-0 defeat in Antalya.

Championship duo Alan Browne, of Preston, and Aston Villa’s Conor Hourihane started alongside him.

Hull City’s David Meyler and Alan Judge of Brentford both came off the bench.

Millwall – unbeaten in 13 at home – host Nottingham Forest in the Championship today.

Ireland striker Aiden O’Brien (ankle) could return and Williams is hoping next time O’Neill comes to visit The Den, he summons the both of them.

The former Sporting Fingal man said: “I was obviously disappointed not to be selected for the squad.

“I don’t really know what more you have to do to get recognition.

“I know they have come to see Aiden, and I have played in most of the games this year.

“I’ve played in every game in this run we’re on at the minute so it is disappointing.

You can’t pick yourself but if I could I’d definitely have been in the squad.

“I’m not going to diss any player that’s in the squad, but where we are at the moment is a lot higher than a lot of people in the squad.”

As for his club’s position – just four points off the play-off sports – Williams is feeling optimistic.

Speaking to Southwark News, he added: “I speak to people at home and everyone is saying we’re flying, with a couple of swear words I can’t use!

“A next-door neighbour who is a great friend of ours stuck 100 quid on us to make the play-offs at 28-1. I’ll have to owe him a few drinks if we don’t do it.

-

I had completely forgotten about this lad. He appears to be on a good run of form, and Milwall could potentially make the play-offs. He's been a mainstay in the team in the past few months, and Milwall are in a seriously impressive vein of form.

Granted, his age (31) goes against him, but he's capable of playing in defence, or across midfield, and is playing regularly in the upper part of the Championship. 

He's probably worthy of a place in one of those 40 man squads, and should be given an opportunity in a friendly game.

We love citing the Northern Ireland or Iceland examples, and I'd argue that both of these teams would have no problem giving a lad like this a chance to impress. 

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 3:06pm
Lovely footballer from what I've seen.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:54pm
Surely this lad should be at least be making a 40-man provisional squad. We aren't exactly blessed with holding midfielders either. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:57pm
He has looked alright when he has played too.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He has looked alright when he has played too.

I'm very surprised Mick doesn't seem to rate him. Always seems like a steady midfielder when I've watched him. Watching Fulham Vs Millwall right now and he's a decent passer as well
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic