You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 306>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 2:39pm
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 3:06pm
Probably a realistic level for him to play another year or two at. Reading are really going to struggle next season with their transfer restrictions though. Derby's points deduction saved them this year but they'll be one of the favourites to go down next year.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:56pm
In talks over a new contract at Southampton. Didn't see that one coming, you have to credit his professionalism to keep going at a high level.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

In talks over a new contract at Southampton. Didn't see that one coming, you have to credit his professionalism to keep going at a high level.

I had a nagging feeling he'd be kept on again. I know he's settled in the area and that's playing a part in his decision making, but it's a shame to see him sacrifice the latter portion of his career at club level and intl level because of it. Wife is happy anyways I'd say. I can't imagine the Southampton fans are.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:01pm
They don't seem to be taking the news very well, it has to be said.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I had a nagging feeling he'd be kept on again. I know he's settled in the area and that's playing a part in his decision making, but it's a shame to see him sacrifice the latter portion of his career at club level and intl level because of it. Wife is happy anyways I'd say. I can't imagine the Southampton fans are.

Cant see why Southampton fans wouldnt be happy. Having a model pro around the place is good for everybody and I'm sure he wont get heaps of minutes, but he'll get on with it. Having a lad like Shane or Seamus Coleman or James Milner around a squad is invaluable and sets an example for the younger lads.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:03pm

Or he's happy to be getting a good wage at his age for being a squad player rather than having to slum it for less in the lower leagues.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Or he's happy to be getting a good wage at his age for being a squad player rather than having to slum it for less in the lower leagues.

Both things can be true at the same time. On a professional level, it's a shame. On a personal level, he keeps his family happy and he's making out financially. I'm not having a go at him. He must put in a hell of a shift in training and have great interpersonal skills if he's able to keep getting these contract extensions.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:23pm

Both things can be true at the same time. On a professional level, it's a shame. On a personal level, he keeps his family happy and he's making out financially. I'm not having a go at him. He must put in a hell of a shift in training and have great interpersonal skills if he's able to keep getting these contract extensions.

Southampton have a young squad of players that's their model invest in potential and stay up. That will only be getting younger this summer I suspect Bazunu for Forster is a good start.
Hassenhuttl has referenced Longs professionalism countless times over the years how he trains how he keeps himself. No doubt a great role model to have around for the younger lads. He will also get 15 appearances for them no doubt when injuries cup games etc kick in. 

Hes a good age now and is entitled to take that option. What's the point in going back down to the Championship where in a poor performing team he will likely be consigned to the dustbin anyways. He hasn't international aspirations either.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 7:32pm

They don't seem to be taking the news very well, it has to be said.
Who is they?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 8:16pm
I see his wife denied it on Instagram.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 8:23pm
What a pro Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 8:47pm

What's your issue with players wives having an input into the decisions they make; you seem to bring it up over and over. Do you think women should just shut up and stay out of these things?
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What's your issue with players wives having an input into the decisions they make; you seem to bring it up over and over. Do you think women should just shut up and stay out of these things?

I'll bite. If I bring it up over and over, throw up a few examples.

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Can we have one football weekend without a Hotlips and O'Shea love in Big smile

LOL

Can we also include you not having a go at Ogbene and John Nice not mentioning how much he rates Smallbone (sorry John)? 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:28pm

Ronan Curtis when he supposedly turned down a move to France because he's wife is pregnant and they've already lost two kids last season you replied:

"It's possible to balance the two leaving aside the fact that it's a brief career and your thirties are still childbearing years."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Can we have one football weekend without a Hotlips and O'Shea love in Big smile

Looks like J89 is going to be my new love interest. Heart
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 2:14am

Ronan Curtis when he supposedly turned down a move to France because he's wife is pregnant and they've already lost two kids last season you replied:

"It's possible to balance the two leaving aside the fact that it's a brief career and your thirties are still childbearing years."

Bite so, tell us why you repeatedly talk down the (assumed) preferences of Irish footballers partners?
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 306>
  Share Topic