You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 306>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:43pm
"Even Shane Long wasn't going to miss from there" according to the not at all bitter Welsh commentator on BBC Wales.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:59pm
Has been Southampton's best player in extra time. I'm not sure if Kenny considers his international career to be over but he's giving a reminder here of what he can still offer as a short term option off the bench.

At this point in time if I was picking between Long, Idah or Parrott to come on and influence a game I'd still pick Long.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Has been Southampton's best player in extra time. I'm not sure if Kenny considers his international career to be over but he's giving a reminder here of what he can still offer as a short term option off the bench.

At this point in time if I was picking between Long, Idah or Parrott to come on and influence a game I'd still pick Long.

Hes 35 in 2 weeks time and has offered us very little in the last 5/6 years. Id much prefer we stick to the long term plan of blooding players in the hope that even one of Parrott, Idah, Connolly, Obafemi or whoever come good.

Id keep him around for June given we've 4 games in 10 days but beyond that his days are numbered unless he moves to France and does a Tony Cascarino
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:10pm
West Brom apparently had a loan move turned down for Long.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

West Brom apparently had a loan move turned down for Long.

Really interesting, maybe west brom don't see Robinson as a long term player.

I appreciate that they play slightly.different positions but seeing as Robinson can't get in the team as it is....

Given their form Valérien Ismaël might not be manager long term.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:41pm
They went for Andy Carroll instead when they didn't get Long. I don't think they see Callum Robinson as a main striker for them, if/when he gets back in the team he'll probably be back out on the left again. Doesn't score enough to be trusted with the central position.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 9:32pm

If he makes an appearance for Southampton in 2022 he will have played in the Premier League in 15 different calendar years, which would be one more than Robbie Keane. 

Still looks about 25 as well.

Comes on as sub for his 15th calendar year in the Premier League.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 9:56pm

If he makes an appearance for Southampton in 2022 he will have played in the Premier League in 15 different calendar years, which would be one more than Robbie Keane. 

Still looks about 25 as well.

Comes on as sub for his 15th calendar year in the Premier League.

Probably 3rd behind O'Shea and Given.

Not bad going for a striker thats barley broke 50 goals!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 4:43pm
On and scores.

First EPL goal for 2 years.

Edited by You Tell Me - 19 Feb 2022 at 4:45pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 4:51pm
Coleman dreadful for the goal. 

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 19 Feb 2022 at 4:52pm
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 6:21pm
Looked to me like Coleman wasn't aware Long was behind him is all. Don't know if he got a heads up from his goalkeeper.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 10:02pm
Why is our most in form striker not in the squad?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Looked to me like Coleman wasn't aware Long was behind him is all. Don't know if he got a heads up from his goalkeeper.

Shouldn’t need one - defender that experienced can’t be caught out like that.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 1:28pm
Coleman was outjumped, in-coming striker will nearly always have the better of full back who is standing jumping. Wasn’t particularly bad defending, was good attacking from Long. Not EVERY goal is a defensive mistake. 

Edited by SeanC - 20 Feb 2022 at 1:29pm
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:03pm
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0220/1281936-hassenhuttl-hails-role-model-long-after-everton-goal/

Hassenhutel full of praise for his professionalism. Anyone know if he is doing coaching badges or anything for retirement
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Coleman was outjumped, in-coming striker will nearly always have the better of full back who is standing jumping. Wasn’t particularly bad defending, was good attacking from Long. Not EVERY goal is a defensive mistake. 

I take it back. Fantastic challenge. Great positioning and situational awareness to be beaten to the ball with little or no effort by a 35-year-old who had just come off the bench and is always going to be the target of crosses coming in from that side of the pitch.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 20 Feb 2022 at 4:39pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 4:36am
Coleman's positioning was poor. He didn't get back in line with his CB which would have given him a chance at defending the cross better, even if Long would probably always out-jump him

Great leap by Long though and great for him to get a goal.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:40am
Long's goal drought in the PL lasted 733 minutes, the equivalent of 8 league games.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 306>
  Share Topic