You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 306>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Should have won a penalty today
No idea how VAR judged that it wasn’t  
Was a clear penalty...Sadly it was the first thing of note he has done all season

I like long a lot, obviously his best days are past him, but to be fair to him he has made 14 apps all comps totaling 291 mins...hasn't really had much of a chance, literally only 2 starts, one in the league and one in fa cup
Sponsored Links

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Was a clear penalty...Sadly it was the first thing of note he has done all season

I like long a lot, obviously his best days are past him, but to be fair to him he has made 14 apps all comps totaling 291 mins...hasn't really had much of a chance, literally only 2 starts, one in the league and one in fa cup
I have watched the majority of those minutes and I'm afraid he has done nothing. Was very poor against Shrewsbury too. Dan N'Lundulu looked far better than him and he has a long, long way to be anything more than decent talent. I would love to be proved wrong but I think his days of being an effective player for Southampton are over
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 5:30pm
Long is essentially a squad option for Southampton and good luck to him. 
No doubt a big reason why Hassenhuttl keeps him around is because of his professionalism too. Long is 34 but still has the fitness/dedication of a 20 year old and players like that are a fantastic role model in the dressing room even for the younger players to look at a manager would love him as a template for them. 

Shane Long got an extended contract for his assets in and around the training ground/dressing room as opposed to his usefulness on the pitch no doubt. To be blunt if you were going on ability there’s no way you’d have him playing any minutes there.

He’s 34yo and good luck to Long he’s entitled to play that role why would he drop down a division/take a wage cut to do so. He’s not a 20yo trying to establish himself.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 10:11pm
Unused sub today. Jankewitz brought on ahead of him with Southampton chasing a goal.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 10:25pm
He could drop down a league and play some football but get paid less money.

Think he'll see out his career at Southampton and is happy enough to be a bench player at this point in his career and you wouldn't blame him.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Stop talking sense! He's played 201 minutes in the league. Any striker worth his salt would have at least 10 goals by now with that amount of game time.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:24pm
Worth keeping an eye out over the next 2 hours - Bournemouth have agreed to sell Josh King only if they can land Shane Long on loan 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:37pm
Good shout Coyne. 

Would be a really good move for Ireland if Long could go on loan and get more game time over the next couple of months.

Edited by irishmufc - 01 Feb 2021 at 9:37pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Good shout Coyne. 

Would be a really good move for Ireland if Long could go on loan and get more game time over the next couple of months.

Yeah, you gotta love that game time. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:55pm
King and Everton have agreed terms now it's down to Bournemouth and Long agreeing to finalise the deals
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 2:14am
Deals completed Thumbs Up

Shane is now a Bournemouth player for rest of the season.

Edited by coyne - 02 Feb 2021 at 2:15am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:51am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Deals completed Thumbs Up

Shane is now a Bournemouth player for rest of the season.

Good move from our point of view.
I think he should have dropped down to the championship a few years ago for more games and goals.

Hopefully it works out for him. 

MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:01am
only 40 minutes between southampton and Bournemouth so shane might not even have to move house, kids schools etc. Wages still paid and hopefully gets some football. I mean talk about ideal
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:23am
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

only 40 minutes between southampton and Bournemouth so shane might not even have to move house, kids schools etc. Wages still paid and hopefully gets some football. I mean talk about ideal

Yeah great move all round.
He lives in winchester so as you say not far from Bournemouth.

He is out of contact end of season so if Bournemouth don’t go up he may get another season with them if he proves himself.
Edit: has one more year at saints 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 02 Feb 2021 at 8:28am

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:25am
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

I’d guess the only move he would have been interested in assuming there have been options in last 18 months. Deal with saints is to summer ‘22 so if it works out he’s very positioned financially.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:31am
Shane Long still has pace to burn and his all round play is good. Hes a poor goalscorer to be fair but holding up the ball and winning aerial.battles are his strength.

If he can get some games under his belt I'd have him in the first 11 come March.

A forward three of -

Robinson  Long  Connolly 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Shane Long still has pace to burn and his all round play is good. Hes a poor goalscorer to be fair but holding up the ball and winning aerial.battles are his strength.

If he can get some games under his belt I'd have him in the first 11 come March.

A forward three of -

Robinson  Long  Connolly 

Bags of goals there
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:07pm
I'd have Connolly in the centre.

Edited by Fozz - 02 Feb 2021 at 12:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 306>
  Share Topic