You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:32pm
He'll finish a very good career at Southampton. The manager knows what he's got even late i his career. So will Stephen Kenny.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:35pm
There’s a reason he got the contract he did even as very much a squad option at best. 

Like ye say a fantastic athlete as well good personality and Hassenhutll or any manager loves to have guys like that around the dressing room for an example to young players coming up etc. 

Milner at Liverpool the same Milner is no superstar a squad option at best but could name his contract for life due to his professionalism fitness how he keeps himself. A model for younger players and in and around the training ground.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:47pm
I wouldn't really be advocating for long to go out on loan to get back in the ireland team. Think we should go with the youth. More so for himself. 
I'm sure he is content but a crack at promotion with someone like Reading vs. lucky to make the bench, id jump at the chance if it came up 

Edited by t_rAndy - 16 Dec 2020 at 11:47pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I wouldn't really be advocating for long to go out on loan to get back in the ireland team. Think we should go with the youth. More so for himself. 
I'm sure he is content but a crack at promotion with someone like Reading vs. lucky to make the bench, id jump at the chance if it came up 

Id be advocating for anyone who can score to get in the team. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:29am
We'd be best leaving out Long so.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

yeah been saying the last bit for years.  

Absolute credit it long he has made a career for himself .  He is more athlete than footballer 

That’s absolute garbage. Thought you were better than that. He has made a pretty good career for himself, has scored plenty of important goals for Ireland too and rarely let us down. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:48am

Sorry to say, but the youth not looking like they can cut it in men’s football thus far. Championship looks too much for them
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

yeah been saying the last bit for years.  

Absolute credit it long he has made a career for himself .  He is more athlete than footballer 

That’s absolute garbage. Thought you were better than that. He has made a pretty good career for himself, has scored plenty of important goals for Ireland too and rarely let us down. 

I thought he was great in Euro 2016; himself and Daryl Murphy up front together worked a treat. And of course he scored a goal that was pivotal in us getting there.

Was never really a focal point up front for long periods either, as some combination of Keane, Doyle and Walters was generally preferred to him.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 17 Dec 2020 at 1:27am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Sorry to say, but the youth not looking like they can cut it in men’s football thus far. Championship looks too much for them

Idah, Parrott and Cassidy are all still kids. At the same time, Long hit the ground running as an 18 year old playing for Reading at the same level, scoring 4 in 15 in his first season after making his debut midway through the season.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 2:28pm
Overtakes Denis Irwin as the Irish player with the tenth most appearances in the Premier League with his start against Fulham today

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 26 Dec 2020 at 2:32pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 2:41pm
I wouldn't even count that stat. Irrelevant really.
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 3:52pm
Clown
Well done Shane. Good list  of players
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

Clown

I assume Seamus is close to breaking into the top 15.
Anybody else near it?  Most in that list are over 10 years retired. 

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Clown

Coleman is 16th on 281, so should overtake Staunton in 15th on 288 around February
James McCarthy is 20th with 261 appearances, needs 16 games to equal Glenn Whelan in 19th on 277
It's a big drop to the next active player - Ciaran Clark on 184
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Clown

Coleman is 16th on 281, so should overtake Staunton in 15th on 288 around February
James McCarthy is 20th with 261 appearances, needs 16 games to equal Glenn Whelan in 19th on 277
It's a big drop to the next active player - Ciaran Clark on 184

Top stuff 

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 5:33pm
Irwin and Roy Keane of course both played two seasons in the old first division before it became the Premier League so their numbers are slightly lower than they otherwise might be, but it's a good achievement all the same from Shane, really only him and Coleman have been what you'd call ever present Premier League players throughout the last decade.

Put in a very Shane Long type performance today, loads of running but no goals (except one that was a straightforward offside call).
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:44pm
Should have won a penalty today
No idea how VAR judged that it wasn’t  
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Should have won a penalty today
No idea how VAR judged that it wasn’t  
Was a clear penalty...Sadly it was the first thing of note he has done all season
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 306>
  Share Topic