You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 237238239240241 306>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers.  We don't have another finisher like Robbie Keane, and probably never will. Very few small nations have.  

Long's finishing isn't alway outstanding, but he does makes lots of chances for himself and wins penos, his all-round play is very good, and he steps up in the big games.  

I think that is only half-true, aside from his goals against Germany and Poland, what other big games has he stepped up in?
I like Long, he is a decent player who has worked hard to play above his natural level, but there is no point exaggerating claims about him either.
longs record v top two seeds in qualifying campaigns is not much worse than robbies.

Defenders are terrified of longs pace . His presence cancause teams to play 5 -10 yards deeper. The amount of set pieces he wins huge.

Must say I was disappointed by his displays in the euros. Even his general play was not great tbh. A thing that frustrates me with him as well is that he never kicks on after having a good game.
Long has scored three goals versus the top two seeds in seventy-one games, Robbie had done that by his nineteenth cap. I don't think it is far on either to make that comparison.

Other than that, I agree. He has good physical attributes, annoys defenders and has the occasional excellent game. He is incredibly inconsistent though. He is a 'streaky' striker, prone to bouts of form and not permanent class. Which is why he never 'kicks-on'.

hmm, 

goals from play v top two seeds in group qualifying

Long - germany , poland , russia
Robbie - italy, sweden, holland, Yugoslavia ? am i missing any, i must be surely

also didnt realise, long has 71 caps v top 2 seeds, god must have about 600 caps
I don't think all of 'God's' first 19 caps were against top two seeds either, that was the comparison. I would imagine, given the history of our fixtures, that both would have faced a similar range of opposition in their appearances.
i would be shocked if that was the case, i don't think long has more than 20 competitive starts
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:15pm

Beggars can't be choosers.  We don't have another finisher like Robbie Keane, and probably never will. Very few small nations have.  

Long's finishing isn't alway outstanding, but he does makes lots of chances for himself and wins penos, his all-round play is very good, and he steps up in the big games.  

I think that is only half-true, aside from his goals against Germany and Poland, what other big games has he stepped up in?
I like Long, he is a decent player who has worked hard to play above his natural level, but there is no point exaggerating claims about him either.
longs record v top two seeds in qualifying campaigns is not much worse than robbies.

Defenders are terrified of longs pace . His presence cancause teams to play 5 -10 yards deeper. The amount of set pieces he wins huge.

Must say I was disappointed by his displays in the euros. Even his general play was not great tbh. A thing that frustrates me with him as well is that he never kicks on after having a good game.
Long has scored three goals versus the top two seeds in seventy-one games, Robbie had done that by his nineteenth cap. I don't think it is far on either to make that comparison.

Other than that, I agree. He has good physical attributes, annoys defenders and has the occasional excellent game. He is incredibly inconsistent though. He is a 'streaky' striker, prone to bouts of form and not permanent class. Which is why he never 'kicks-on'.

hmm, 

Robbie - italy, sweden, holland, Yugoslavia ? am i missing any, i must be surely

Turkey, France, Russia(same game as Long). Off the top of my head.
sorry im talking about group stages, not play offs, don't think robbie scored from play v russia, did he?
I don't see the need to qualify from play or not. A goal is a goal. There are people using winning penalties to enhance Long's reputation.
The play-offs were against top two seeds and were a part of qualifying, this is just an attempt to manipulate statistics so that Long's goals become more important.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:16pm

hmm, 

also didnt realise, long has 71 caps v top 2 seeds, god must have about 600 caps
I don't think all of 'God's' first 19 caps were against top two seeds either, that was the comparison. I would imagine, given the history of our fixtures, that both would have faced a similar range of opposition in their appearances.
i would be shocked if that was the case, i don't think long has more than 20 competitive starts
If he was better, he would have more starts.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:25pm

hmm, 

haha, so a minute to goal ratio is not favourable to your argument then? but a cap to goal one is? LOL

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:28pm

hmm, 

Turkey, France, Russia(same game as Long). Off the top of my head.
sorry im talking about group stages, not play offs, don't think robbie scored from play v russia, did he?
I don't see the need to qualify from play or not. A goal is a goal. There are people using winning penalties to enhance Long's reputation.
The play-offs were against top two seeds and were a part of qualifying, this is just an attempt to manipulate statistics so that Long's goals become more important.

i'm trying to illustrate merely that compared to our greatest of all time, his goal record v the big teams aint that bad.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:50pm

hmm, 

haha, so a minute to goal ratio is not favourable to your argument then? but a cap to goal one is? LOL

I never said that, you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said to suit your argument. There is a reason many of Long's appearances are off the bench, for club and country. He is a limited striker best suited to using his physical attributes against tired defences. If he was a better player he wouldn't be seen as a substitute. 
I think comparing Shane Long to Robbie is absolutely pointless and would only be done by someone with an agenda against Robbie. There may be some truth in your implied belief that Robbie's career has been overrated, even if I would disagree, but there is no comparison between him and any other Irish striker.
I would be curious to see a minutes-to-goals  ratio of both though. 
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I think a key thing with Long, like many strikers, is confidence.  If he has the backing of the manager, and knows he'll be picked through thick and thin, he rewards that.  His form tends to go to pot then when he's playing much more itty-bitty roles - like the second half of last season and now unfortunately.  

When he was banging them in for Hull and Southampton, it was because he was playing week-in, week-out.  

Very much a confidence player.  But MON gets these boys going out thinking they're 10 feet tall. 

Put it this way, if any rational objective (non-Irish) observer looked at our squad on paper compared to Serbia, Wales and Austria, they'd have us down to lose matches to them every time.  Each of those teams has far more players playing Champions League, Europa League etc.  

But yet we've matched and sometimes mastered those teams.  That's because MON and RK has them feeling we're as good as anyone and our collective unity will make up for individual deficiencies.

I think they probably do the same for Long.  

I don't agree with ranking international teams according to the number of Champions League players they have. Johnny Hayes is now a 'Champions League' player, but still won't get near out line-up. Had Dundalk of qualified for the group stages last season, we'd of had 20+ CL players to choose from, they still wouldn't of received call ups to the national team.

Looking at Austria, Kevin Wimmer is technically a Champions League player, but in terms of ability he's closer to being a Championship player!

The Austrians have two players of decent European caliber - Alaba, and Baumgartlinger (who won't be playing in the Champions League this season).

Several other Austrians may feature for weaker teams in the CL due to their players willingness to play across Europe, but in reality most are playing for mid-lower table teams in average leagues.

Everton or West Brom could probably qualify for European football in Germany, suddenly James McClean and James McCarthy could be branded as 'Champions League' players, but it wouldn't improve their actual skill levels.

When you look at Serbia, its a fairly similar picture. They have Matic, and Tadic (who isn't a 'CL player').
Outside of that, they have some talented players plying their trades in some obscure, average leagues such as the Greek, Turkish and their own domestic league. Their key striker Mitrovic is on the way out the door at Newcastle and may not even feature at club level before playing us.

Then Wales... Bale and Ramsey, two elite level European players. Ben Davies is decent, but no better than some of our options, look at how bare their squad is when injuries / suspensions are factored in. Liverpool youth reserves and unknown league one players are called up.

On the other hand we've no individual quality. But, across the board we've very solid, reliable players in almost every position on the pitch.

We played Wales without 5/6 starting players and they couldn't muster a shot on target... If we played Wales without half of their starting eleven, they'd be fielding unproven 18 year old's.

Perhaps a rational, neutral observer might look at the squads and see that strength and depth, and 23 players playing across England's top two divisions is nothing to turn the nose up at.

Best post I've read on here for a good while Clap
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:30pm

hmm, 

I never said that, you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said to suit your argument. There is a reason many of Long's appearances are off the bench, for club and country. He is a limited striker best suited to using his physical attributes against tired defences. If he was a better player he wouldn't be seen as a substitute. 
I think comparing Shane Long to Robbie is absolutely pointless and would only be done by someone with an agenda against Robbie. There may be some truth in your implied belief that Robbie's career has been overrated, even if I would disagree, but there is no comparison between him and any other Irish striker.

lol, yeah i have an agenda against robbieLOL. i think robbie was an irish legend and our greatest striker. record speaks for itself. 

gas the way you can criticise any other player to the hilt but can't in any say anything about robbie. its as ludicrous as me saying you have an agenda against long. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:56pm

hmm, 

lol, yeah i have an agenda against robbieLOL. i think robbie was an irish legend and our greatest striker. record speaks for itself. 

gas the way you can criticise any other player to the hilt but can't in any say anything about robbie. its as ludicrous as me saying you have an agenda against long. 

Another misrepresentation of what was said, I stated, in the post you quoted, that it is perfectly ok to criticise him. Trying to compare him to a far inferior player is doing an injustice to both of them.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:17am
Burnley signing of Chris Wood probable ends the speculation of any move there but desperately needs to get one before the end of the window
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:50am
i think shane would have to drop back into the championship to get football week in week out for 90 mins now. 
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 9:00am
Burnley decide to sign a player who refuses to play for his club when something doesn't go their way. Good to see Burnley got someone who will stick by the team when the chips are down! ;) ;) ;)

Edited by Cathalthesmart - 22 Aug 2017 at 9:00am
Hi Lads
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:19am
Looking at the highlights of the Huddersfield v Southampton match, Shane seemed to play well and made three good chances in the short time he was on the pitch. A fair few of the Southampton forum were impressed too and want him back in the team.

I think he'll do a good job for us if Johnny Walters is out.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:38am
Needs a run of games, if not at saints then even a championship club
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 5:02am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I said this last last season and was told to f*** off

I'd much prefer he was playing and scoring regularly at championship level than sitting on the bench / rarely scoring in the EPL.

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I'd much prefer he was playing and scoring regularly at championship level than sitting on the bench / rarely scoring in the EPL.

Championship my Bollix. Will have no bother getting a prem team.

Had a good game when he came on Saturday will prob start the next game

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 1:22pm

what clubs will spend the money on him. Just does not score enough.

Edited by doherty - 28 Aug 2017 at 1:24pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

what clubs will spend the money on him. Just does not score enough.

If a club is willing to spend 15mil on Chris wood Southampton could certainly get 10 mil for long. Be a good signing for Everton even as a squad player, they desperately need a bit of pace up front. Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, Huddersfield. Personally would rather players play few games at a higher level than playing 40 games in the championship tbh. Think he can win a place in that Southampton team tbh, front 5 piss poor so far, gabbiadini, redmond, Austin,bouffal,tadic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 237238239240241 306>
  Share Topic