Topic ClosedShane Long Signs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shane Long Signs
    Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 8:52am
Hope he continues to develop under Coppell........

Republic of Ireland striker Shane Long Commits to Reading Until 2011

Date: Wednesday, 04 July 2007
Section: News
Reading have moved swiftly to keep Republic of Ireland attacker Shane Long at the Madejski Stadium for the next four years.

Long joined the Royals in 2005 from Cork City as part of the deal which also brought Kevin Doyle cross-channel. The pair have flourished since the switch, helping the club to achieve promotion from the Championship in their first season and guiding them to an eight-placed finish in their first-ever Premiership campaign.

Shane was handed his senior debut for Ireland in February of this year against San Marino before making a substitute appearance in the EURO 2008 qualifying victory over Slovakia the following month at Croke Park, a venue he played previously in Hurling for Tipperary’s Minor team.

He then blossomed in the friendly matches against Ecuador and Bolivia in the USA during May, scoring his first International goal against the Bolivians in a 1-1 draw.

Long scored four times for his club last season and Reading Director of football Nick Hammond is confident that the Irishman can maintain his good form for the upcoming Premiership campaign.

“I am absolutely delighted to secure the signature of one of the most exciting young talents in the Premier League for a further four years,” he told the club’s official website.

“The progress he has made in such a short space of time has been phenomenal and the faith placed in him by the manager (Steve Coppell) has allowed for that development.

“Shane now has a big opportunity ahead of him and the challenge for him is to force his way into the starting line-up on a regular basis in the coming season. But he’s still learning and everybody at the club has to remain patient with him.”

Hammond also revealed that Reading are finalising a contract for Long’s team-mate at club and International level, Stephen Hunt.

The winger signed a contract extension in January but the club have decided to secure his future on a longer deal as a result of his enthralling displays throughout the season.

“It’s an example of doing right by the player,” stated Hammond. “He signed in January but the end of the season was exceptionally good for him, so it’s right and proper that we adjust his contract again.”

Meanwhile, Republic of Ireland Under-21 International Jonathan Hayes has left Reading to join up with Coca-Cola Championship team Leicester City on a three-year contract.
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 10:09am
Ye Long looks like good prospect. still only very young, hopefully he can now go that extra step and started banging in international goals
SFC RED View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 10:14am
Yeah he has the potential to be an out & out goalscorer for ireland, maybe its to early to say this but a possibility of record scorer, though the likes of stokes and doyle could be in with a shout aswell. Good to have at least 3 prospourus strikers on hand im sure you will agree.
FORZA REDS
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 12:40pm
The young lad Adam Rooney is meant to be one for the future as well and someone in the know told me that Robert Brady, recently signed by L:iverpool, could be Ireland's next real star
SFC RED View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 2:45pm
cheers for the info, two players to watch
FORZA REDS
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 3:54pm
Terry Dixon on the way back as well I heard recently, injury problems hopefully behind him.  We must be patient with these guys and hope they stay healthy, look at poor Colin Healy, I hope he resurrects his career now that he was finally allowed play.  That was nice of FIFA to finally allow that.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 4:05pm
did he start the other night or did he just get a few minutes. I'd say himself and Farrelly would be strgglin for match fitness after that. Wouldnt have  happened if they were from an East London club!
Yeah looking forward to our own red headed Rwayne rooney aka terry dixon getting a run out in the sernior squad. Was he not around for USA trip, pity.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 4:21pm
Healy and Farrelly both played 90 plus extra time according to what I read in paper and you're right, it was the usual sh*t on the small team/small League and let Mascherano in cos he's a big name, farkin disgraceful treatment of the 2 lads.

I think the USA trip was just a tad early for young Dixon if I remember hearing reports around that time cos he'd surely have got in ahead of Joey Lehaira.  Jeez, Kerry Dixon shoulda got in ahead of Joey come to think of it. 

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 04 Jul 2007 at 4:21pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 5:11pm
come on freewheeler, surely you know that there is one rule for the big clubs and one for the smaller ones
Farrelly looked like he put on a bit of weight, not surprising i supose
Prendy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 7:06am

Have heard a lot of good stuff about Robert Brady, plays for St. Kevins boys - followig their results he sounds like a good prospect

not sure about him joining liverpool though, have not heard anything about that.

Aside from this, Long looks like a good prospect but will need 1st team football to progress, may get it if rumours surrounding doyler going to sund ireland are come true

then again every irish player is linked with the keano revolution recently............has mcshane gone there yet
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 7:29am
The Brady lad lives around my way. Havent seen him play but all the young fellas around the area are constantly saying he's something very sprecial. However he's still very young and it's not until these lads hit the ages of 16/17 that you'll be able to see if they can cut it at the highest level. His older bro was over at West Ham but got homesick and ended up comin' home. Not too sure if he's actually signed for the pool yet as i hear a different story about him from my little bro and his mates on a weekly basis
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 7:50am
I heard Liverpool brought him as a guest to the Champions League final. probably just their way of buttering him up before trying to get him. they must be very interested if they brought him to athens
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 7:59am
maybe they had a few spare tickets goin cause nobody wanted to watch that boring shower hoof the ball around LOL
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 8:14am
sure you didnt even need a ticket to get into the game , just turn up early LOL

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 1:50pm
I heard the same story from my barber a few weeks ago. I even heard they flew him over on a private plane....then i was told that it was all a loada BALLOX! It's amazing how these rumours start
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 2:39pm
its great getting all the gos at the local hairdressers eh lads! The place I go its a fiver and theres only one type of cut they know, doesnt matter what you ask for you just come out looking Russian, like Oleg Luzny (shaved back and sides and brushed to the side!)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 5:30pm
Oleg Luzhny!  There's a name from the past Count, where did he ever go after Arsenal?
TheodoreBagwell View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2007 at 5:54pm
long time no talk on this forum
heard the lad brady is very good myself. on the hair cuts, went to peter marks today and paid 31 (YES thirty one) quid for a haircut, and a poxy one at that.
Adam Rooney, as Gerkeano said, is one to watch
Teddy's Home
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic