You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

And again....

Give ya that one, 100% he isn't in great form. Just seems like he's getting the rap for every goal.. The midfielders got over ran with it 3/2 and don't get me started on that scarecrow of a keeper they bought
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:08pm
His form has been poor for a while now. Should be at the top of his game at his age. 

Theres no better player in the air and if the defence plays just in front of the penalty area his good.

Beyond that he's a liability, you can't play a high line, he's slow and terrible on the ball.

Egan and oshea should be the first choice, if Kenny wants to play the type of football that he's promoting, Duffy needs to improve in a lot of areas.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

His form has been poor for a while now. Should be at the top of his game at his age. 

Theres no better player in the air and if the defence plays just in front of the penalty area his good.

Beyond that he's a liability, you can't play a high line, he's slow and terrible on the ball.

Egan and oshea should be the first choice, if Kenny wants to play the type of football that he's promoting, Duffy needs to improve in a lot of areas.

#duffyupfront
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
footballman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footballman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:31pm
He was brilliant for Ireland in the last internationals and that's all that matters
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:36pm
2nd goal was full mc gregor at fault, he impeded duffy from getting close to the ac player
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by footballman footballman wrote:

He was brilliant for Ireland in the last internationals and that's all that matters

He was good for ireland, its some stretch to suggest he was brilliant.
He didn't make many mistakes playing for ireland in the last internationals but his form is a worry.

He's been poor, we can hope he improves fast.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:44pm
Duffy might not have been brilliant but he was our best player over the 3 games.

I don’t really see why we would look to replace him or consider his place on the team. Seems stupid. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:52pm
despite his obvious goal threat and aerial presence he is far too Neanderthal for my liking. Far too slapdash and makes me nervous in many scenarios. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Duffy might not have been brilliant but he was our best player over the 3 games.

I don’t really see why we would look to replace him or consider his place on the team. Seems stupid. 

you must have been watching different games to me

he was blowing out of his arse for Celtic last couple of games

couple of goals at the start of the season blinding people I think.

I'd play Egan and O'Shea for a couple of games if Duffy's club form falls off a cliff

Duffy can't play the possession football Kenny would like to either (according to Brighton)

Edited by Jimmy Raggatip - 22 Oct 2020 at 11:35pm
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

you must have been watching different games to me

he was blowing out of his arse for Celtic last couple of games

couple of goals at the start of the season blinding people I think.

I'd play Egan and O'Shea for a couple of games if Duffy's club form falls off a cliff

Duffy can't play the possession football Kenny would like to either (according to Brighton)

I’m talking about Ireland’s last three games. Duffy was probably our best player in those. You seem to be discussing celtic. 

I’m not hugely bothered how he’s doing for Celtic. Nor am I hugely bothered about blooding a rookie next month when he’s not a guaranteed starter for West Brom.

Duffy keeps his place next month. Next year maybe it’s a different story. 

Irish fans are obsessed with dropping our players who actually have performed for the bright new shiny toy who has shown scant evidence of being anything other than a potential player in a year or two.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:14am
Duffy the new Whelan

It was only a matter of time before we got a new scapegoat and now we have one.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:16am
It goes further than just form though. If we are intent on changing our style of play, which we clearly are, we will have to pick players who suit the way we want to play. Whether we like it or not, this has to mean the end of Duffy and also McClean with Ireland. 

We are already seeing McClean being phased out and I expect Duffy will follow in the next year. But I would suggest looking to move him on sooner and try someone else - Clark or O'Shea - in November. We are not short of options in his position. If the replacement is a disaster we can always bring Duffy back for a few more games next year, but Clark is an accomplished top flight footballer and O'Shea has been excellent in the Championship and has massive potential, so it's not a huge risk to take. I think Collins will move ahead of Duffy within the next two years also, but he's not ready yet.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:30am
All players get phased out and both players are hitting their 30's with McClean nearly 32.

Clark is always injured, so you can't depend on a player whose not going to show up.

I've no issue with who Kenny chooses to play, I just don't see Duffy been dropped, if he does, so be it.

O'Shea will eventually earn his place in the starting 11, he's still very young and a lot of learn.

Egan and Clark are 2 players who seem to get caught out and are liable to be red carded, we've seen this already with Egan.

I do find it funny though that the players who are playing are heavily scrutinized and can do no right, and the players who are not playing seem to be getting better each game they don't play.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:51am
He's having a bad spell but none of our other centre backs fill me with confidence either. He has leadership qualities and he is a goal threat from set pieces. 

So while he is not the best defender in the world and i would also have Egan as the first choice, i still think he is one of the two for now. But with others now like Collins and o'Shea and even Kevin Long starting to make breakthroughs at their clubs then likely Duffy will eventually get moved aside for a better defender. But not now for me
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

It really is a hard one to choose keep or lose Duffy for Ireland .

As said above Duffy was moved out of Brighton as he didn't fit the system Potter wants to play .

As for Kenny system same again as he is not a fit for this passing game Kenny wants the team to play .
I like Duffy as he is the only player who has a decent chance of scoring of late and goals to prove that i would have him in the side but you can't have an odd man out i am sure Kenny knows this but what will he do is a very good question .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Duffy the new Whelan

Thought our new scapegoat was Alan Browne.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Duffy the new Whelan

Thought our new scapegoat was Alan Browne.

To be fair the new Whelan is the whole squad... we've got some good players but none of them have positioned themselves as irreplaceable or unfairly criticised. Randolph kinda was but maybe not anymore.

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 1:19pm

I do find it funny though that the players who are playing are heavily scrutinized and can do no right, and the players who are not playing seem to be getting better each game they don't play.

If they play more they'll be open to more criticism on here so safer to stay on the bench and keep their reputations in tact.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 157>
  Share Topic