You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:41pm
I'd like to see him and Robinson at WBA.
Another PL team with multiple representatives is a good thing.
Sponsored Links

Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:42pm
It would be an excellent move for him. He'd be one of the first names on the team sheet at Celtic, he'd be able to rebuild his confidence and form. Yes, overall the standard is lower, however there will be European ties which will be tougher opposition than he'd arguably face in England. A one year loan, makes absolute sense for both Celtic and Duffy. Theres undoubtedly also a personal element to it, being from Derry and a Celtic fan im sure he'd love nothing more than being there for 10 in a row and a chance to rebuild his reputation. He's going to go somewhere, its looking more likely White is staying at Brighton pushing him further down the pecking order. 

He'd be a star in the SPL, for Celtic and that in itself could do him the world of good. Getting battered week in week out at WBA isn't going to achieve anything, in reality his form could dip further.

Edited by Olaf - 13 Aug 2020 at 3:43pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Does he really suit Celtic's style? He's a far better defender than what they currently have, but the reality is that Celtic dominate possession in 90+% of the games they play in the SPL, so it's arguably more important that they have defenders who can carry the ball forward/pick out passes than it is to have defenders who are great in "backs to the wall" situations.

In that respect it probably suits him. Most of the teams Celtic play retreat so far back when not in possession that any professional footballer would be able to play the ball out from the back easily due to the lack of pressure on them there.

In every other respect though it would be a bad move. Instead of playing against top level attackers week in week out like he would at WHU and WBA he'd find himself playing against lower league cloggers like Stevie May and Tony Watt every week. He'd probably never get back to the Premier League given his age and they'd struggle to match the wages someone like West Ham would offer him. If two of Egan, Clark and O'Shea are playing every week in the EPL he'd be at risk of losing his Ireland spot as well, and that would be justified given the lower level he'd be playing at.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Celtic would be a terrible move for him. Really awful.

The opposition he will be against on a weekly basis will be absolutely piss poor. Massive drop in standard when he is surely capable of getting a game at a couple of bottom half premier league sides.

Totally agree
Hopefully he gets a move to another EPL club.
The championship would be better than Celtic.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm
I suspect money will talk and he'll stay in the Premiership but he would be a fantastic asset for Celtic if they could get him. Likewise McClean, but he's on a long contract with Stoke and their player of the year, so not much chance there unfortunately. With Hayes gone, Boli persona non grata, Taylor inconsistent and Elyomoussi way off form, he would be straight into the team.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:13pm
Hope he doesn’t move to Celtic would prefer he stayed in the Premier League and played against top strikers like Billy Sharp, Bamford, Jonathan Kodja, Joelington etc.

Lads need to get over themselves when talking about the Premier Leauge, there are some God awful sides in the league.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Hope he doesn’t move to Celtic would prefer he stayed in the Premier League and played against top strikers like Billy Sharp, Bamford, Jonathan Kodja, Joelington etc.

Lads need to get over themselves when talking about the Premier Leauge, there are some God awful sides in the league.

And the irony that those same examples of awful EPL players would rip it up it in the SPL is totally lost on you 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:21pm

Every player you've just mentioned would score 20+ goals a season in the SPL. There's perhaps only 2/3 strikers in thr entire division that would be better than them.

Edited by The O'Shea - 13 Aug 2020 at 7:22pm
We're decent enough..
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm
I do think Duffy is still good enough to play in the EPL and could be a regular in a mid-table side imo. On that basis I wouldn't like to see him going to Celtic just yet. Still only 28 as well. He's a bit too good fro the SPL imo.

Would prefer if he went to Celtic when he's older in another 3/4 years times maybe if his career takes a dip but if he did sign for them now, at least he's more or less guaranteed silverware and European football every season. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm

Every player you've just mentioned would score 20+ goals a season in the SPL. There's perhaps only 2/3 strikers in thr entire division that would be better than them.

If Duffy moves to Celtic he’s going to be playing European football possibly Champions League football against top quality strikers but you’re right he’s better playing for a team that’s aim is to stay in the league, average a point a season and it’s considered a success. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:47pm

I think you're spouting nonsense there in fairness.

There are a good few name strikers who haven't scored as many goals as they were touted to in Scotland. Not a striker, but Joey Barton infamously struggled up there.

Look at Teemu Pukki as the most contemporary example of someone who couldn't score in Scotland yet who filled his boots in England.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:48pm
I dont think if Duffy was to go to Celtic his performances for us would be affected. Celtic have a winning mentality/culture. You cant compare every league to the PL. Loads of national sides all have players scattered all over leagues in europe. If he was guaranteed PL football week in week out then im sure he will take it. Who knows.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

There are a good few name strikers who haven't scored as many goals as they were touted to in Scotland. Not a striker, but Joey Barton infamously struggled up there.

Look at Teemu Pukki as the most contemporary example of someone who couldn't score in Scotland yet who filled his boots in England.

Every player mentioned has scored 15-20+ in the Championship. The Championship is of a way higher standard the SPL overall, 20+ goal in a season would not be an unachievable feat for any of them. 

Pukki is perhaps the only example of a striker who did ok in the EPL and poorly in Scotland, he is the exception that proves the rule.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I suspect money will talk and he'll stay in the Premiership but he would be a fantastic asset for Celtic if they could get him. Likewise McClean, but he's on a long contract with Stoke and their player of the year, so not much chance there unfortunately. With Hayes gone, Boli persona non grata, Taylor inconsistent and Elyomoussi way off form, he would be straight into the team.
He wouldn't. Elyounoussi is a bit behind in fitness and is way ahead of McClean as a footballer. McClean would bring far too much baggage with him and I'm not sure where he would fit in, especially as I would imagine he is on a decent wage.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Pukki has admitted himself that that was to do with his own lack of professionalism, not the standard of the league. If he had applied himself in Scotland he would have torn it up there.

On the other hand look at Patrick Roberts. Celtic fans were creaming themselves over him a few years ago based on his performances in Scotland but last season he was recalled from his loan at Norwich because he couldn't get a game with the worst team in the EPL and then he became a nothing player in the Championship with Middlesbrough for the rest of the season.

I watch a fair amount of football from both leagues. Trust me, the Scottish Premier is a sh*tshow.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:22am
he would be better going back to Derry City instead of playing SPL. The Scumtic fans would love another auld boy though from Derry around so they can sing their provo techno with pride 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

he would be better going back to Derry City instead of playing SPL. The Scumtic fans would love another auld boy though from Derry around so they can sing their provo techno with pride 
Embarrassed at least try something that rhymes with Celtic, thats embarrassing.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Pity you don’t have the same access to the internet as your brother in Belarus!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 157>
  Share Topic