Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 157>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:42pm
Maguire is far better on the ball than Duffy. Maguire has an arse the size of an articulated lorry though, so they both have their pros and cons.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I actually think he's a lot more comfortable on the ball than people give him credit for. He looks awkward because of his size, and I'm not saying he's as good as Van Djik or anything, but he's far better than Duffy. 

As brilliant a defender as Duffy is, and as much as we like to hype him up, his ability on the ball (and lack of pace) will stop him ever playing for a top 6 club unfortunately.

Better than Duffy, yes. Far better? Certainly nowhere near as far as the difference in transfer fees if Duffy was to get sold would indicate though. Duffy is closer to Maguire than Maguire is to Van Djik.  
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I actually think he's a lot more comfortable on the ball than people give him credit for. He looks awkward because of his size, and I'm not saying he's as good as Van Djik or anything, but he's far better than Duffy. 

As brilliant a defender as Duffy is, and as much as we like to hype him up, his ability on the ball (and lack of pace) will stop him ever playing for a top 6 club unfortunately.

Better than Duffy, yes. Far better? Certainly nowhere near as far as the difference in transfer fees if Duffy was to get sold would indicate though. Duffy is closer to Maguire than Maguire is to Van Djik.  

Duffy just isn't good on the ball though. Maguire is decent on the ball. Tbf to Maguire or Duffy, they should never be mentioned in the same breathe as the likes of VVD. They are what they are, solid professionals with plenty of pros and cons to their game. 

The Maguire transfer fee is comical on all levels. Kind of pointless talking about what Duffys value would be in comparison to Maguire if transferred then.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:43pm

Rodgers like ball playing CB's.
In which case he might prefer Tarkowski to Dunk?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:53pm
Just so you know, Shane Duffy counts as "homegrown", too!

And I don't know whether that affects Brighton this season, but it seems to have been a factor last season:

Revealed: Everything you need to know about homegrown status and the impact on Albion

P.S. If you're reading, Shane, don't worry, it's not the same as being labelled a "Brit"! Wink
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Rodgers like ball playing CB's.
In which case he might prefer Tarkowski to Dunk?

I wouldn't call Tarkowski wonderful on the ball either. Duffy seems to be more highly rated by Brighton fans than Dunk, so it's surprising he's getting more attention than Duffy. There's nothing that he does markedly better than Duffy anyway, other than being English which is obviously important.

Edited by The O'Shea - 03 Aug 2019 at 8:06pm
We're decent enough..
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I see dunk is been touted as a replacement for maguire. No word about duffy. Why. Cause dunk is english. Prob cost 30 or 40 mill mo doubt. Madness.

can't be sh*t if Southgate is calling him up to England squads

Dunk is the better ball playing CB and has the height and physicality to immediately replace Maguire

Nothing wrong with them signing English players either, English clubs will soon have to be brexit proof 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 11:04am
Tarks and Long sat out Burnley's pre season game yesterday both had a couple of " knocks " read into to it what you will .

Edited by Claret Murph - 04 Aug 2019 at 11:04am
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 4:17pm
Leicester in for Tarkowski , Forest in for Kevin Long allegedly.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Leicester in for Tarkowski , Forest in for Kevin Long allegedly.

Suppose they’ll be quoted £72m for Tarkowski
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:04pm
Can’t see Duffy thriving this season if Clément sticks with this back three.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I wouldn't call Tarkowski wonderful on the ball either.
Can't agree with that at all.

I've seen him play and he's much more a modern, ball-playing CB than an old-style stopper centre half.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Tarks and Long sat out Burnley's pre season game yesterday both had a couple of " knocks " read into to it what you will .
Dunno about Long, but Tarkowski has clear "form" for refusing to play in anticipation of a transfer, from when he basically went on strike at Brentford to force his move to Burnley:

That statement doesn't really reflect how angry Brentford - club and fans - were.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 7:46am
Brighton fans on their forum calling for Duffy to be dropped.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:05pm

Probably our best player at premier league level which doesn't bode well if his performances have not been that good. 

Doherty doesn't seem to be finishing games either but that may be due to illness.

The iceman coleman was very good in Everton's last game which is a massive relief
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:05pm
Duffy is never going to thrive in a back three. Arsenal could do a lot worse
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:35pm
Not sure how they can try and blame Duffy for that loss considering how their striker Andone got himself stupidly sent off and ultimately cost them the game. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:38pm

Moleman must have a lot of time on his hands
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 157>
  Share Topic