You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 157>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

What was O'Shea like against Man City?

Only saw bits of the game but he looked to be playing reasonably well - he certainly wasn't at fault for either of the goals anyway. He also had to worry about three absolute speed merchants in that game whereas against Wales it'll just be Bale. I'd agree with Brendan - would prefer to see O'Shea start.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:15pm
None of our centre-backs are anywhere near quick enough to deal with Bale's pace one-on-one, Duffy most certainly being included in that. So O'Shea's lack of pace is fairly irrelevant compared to the other options. For some reason people have been criticising O'Shea as being "finished" for 4-5 years now, yet he is consistently one of Sunderlands better performers and was outstanding for us in our last campaign. Personally I think he's still streets ahead of Duffy and any of our other CB options barring perhaps Clark, so if he ends up starting against Wales I'd have no issue whatsoever with that.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

None of our centre-backs are anywhere near quick enough to deal with Bale's pace one-on-one, Duffy most certainly being included in that. So O'Shea's lack of pace is fairly irrelevant compared to the other options. For some reason people have been criticising O'Shea as being "finished" for 4-5 years now, yet he is consistently one of Sunderlands better performers and was outstanding for us in our last campaign. Personally I think he's still streets ahead of Duffy and any of our other CB options barring perhaps Clark, so if he ends up starting against Wales I'd have no issue whatsoever with that.
Would agree with all of that.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:43pm
I'm a massive critic and I would even say O'Shea has been fine lately.

He's done what he's asked but he can only do so much when he has multiple sacks of sh*te around him.
BlackKat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

What was O'Shea like against Man City?

Not one mistake. Best outfield player in my opinion.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:03pm
Clark and O'Shea would certainly be my prefered central defensive pairing.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Visions of Belgium flooding back
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:58pm
They were far from our biggest issues with Belgium tbf. I don't think there's a single partnership we could name that hasn't had some sort of below par performance in an Ireland shirt either. People are pining for Duffy yet he had a terrible Euros, an atrocious start to the season with Blackburn, and made an absolute blunder against Moldova. Is there really anything to suggest he'd have been a better option than O'Shea or Keogh for the Wales match?
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I don't to resort to my usual bashing of Duffy but he has made a positional howler in just about every game he has played for us. I thought Clark was poor that day against Belgium, but so was just about everyone else, I certainly wouldn't lay to much blame with O'Shea for that day.
I would still have Clark and O'Shea as our best pairing.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:03pm

Good thing that Wales aren't Belgium.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Based on recent history they have a valid argument in saying they are better!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Ah that would be the same recent history that suggests that we are better than Germany and Italy.

It will be up to the midfielders and Coleman and Walters (Or whoever else is on Bales wing) to limit the space he has, if they do that effectively their will be little difference between O'Shea, Duffy or Clark starting, granted that Duffy would of been useful for defending against Bales monstrous headers. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:44pm

Ah that would be the same recent history that suggests that we are better than Germany and Italy.

It will be up to the midfielders and Coleman and Walters (Or whoever else is on Bales wing) to limit the space he has, if they do that effectively their will be little difference between O'Shea, Duffy or Clark starting, granted that Duffy would of been useful for defending against Bales monstrous headers. 
I didn't realise we had beaten both of them twice! Excellent!

I have made it perfectly clear that we should be winning this game but I just found it a tad amusing that you are dismissing Wales for not being as good as Belgium when they have proved, three times you could argue, to be better!
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 6:12pm
Would be Josh and Clark for me. Keogh to his credit hasn't put a put wrong for us really to date but I'd have more confirdence in seeing Josh in the starting lineup for this one.

Agree with other posters re pace. None of our CBs are near pacey enough to compete with Bale one on one so it's not really an argument. Surely one've the midfielders picked (Arter/Whelan/McCarthy) will be tasked with just following Bale wherever he goes.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 6:50pm

I have made it perfectly clear that we should be winning this game but I just found it a tad amusing that you are dismissing Wales for not being as good as Belgium when they have proved, three times you could argue, to be better!

I never mentioned us beating either of those teams twice however, we did take four points off Germany implying that it was no fluke. 

Wales beating Belgium twice (not three times) wasn't a fluke either although, with that being said I think most would agree that Belgium are a better side than Wales and one only has to look at both teams results after the Euro's to see that. 

To put it simply would you rather Ireland played Belgium in Dublin on March 24th, or Wales?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:23pm

I never mentioned us beating either of those teams twice however, we did take four points off Germany implying that it was no fluke. 

Wales beating Belgium twice (not three times) wasn't a fluke either although, with that being said I think most would agree that Belgium are a better side than Wales and one only has to look at both teams results after the Euro's to see that. 

To put it simply would you rather Ireland played Belgium in Dublin on March 24th, or Wales?
You have missed my point, I was merely pulling you up on being so dismissive of Wales, especially in comparison to a team they have beaten twice and also drew with in Brussels, that is all.
I have already said I think we should win the game and will e disappointed if we don't, largely because I don't rate their manager.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:03pm

You have missed my point, I was merely pulling you up on being so dismissive of Wales, especially in comparison to a team they have beaten twice and also drew with in Brussels, that is all.
I have already said I think we should win the game and will e disappointed if we don't, largely because I don't rate their manager.

Fair enough, my dismissal of the Welsh in comparison to Belgium is relative to us. Belgium carved us open at will and thrashed us by three goals.

Now, I hope I'm right, but I don't see any scenario where Wales beat us by three goals, we'd definitely be better suited at tackling them than Belgium. 

I don't think you should be disappointed if we draw, I'd love to see us winning and effectively knocking Wales out of the running but I think many would take a draw now if it was offered, I'd like to see us go for it ala Bosnia at home. 

cryan97 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryan97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:48am
Paul McShane playing great stuff for Reading atm, does he have any hope?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 157>
  Share Topic