Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 157>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:00am
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 9:32am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

The most worrying thing is all that money and still drinking Harp Dead

LOL
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 9:27am
The most worrying thing is all that money and still drinking Harp Dead
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 8:55am
I'd say the incessant stalking and voyeurism of players going about their lives is more harmful to them than a few pints here and there.
We're decent enough..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Shane was in Peadar O’Donnell’s bar in Derry last night ( Sunday ), still knocking back pints of Harp at closing time. Relaxation time before the Greece game on Friday.

And what harm of it? His counterparts in France at the rugby WC were being lauded for doing the same thing last week.
I am amazed that any one playing at this sort of level is sinking pints so close to a major game. Wont help the rugby team or big duffy one bit 
Yeah, missed Mass too.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 8:32am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Shane was in Peadar O’Donnell’s bar in Derry last night ( Sunday ), still knocking back pints of Harp at closing time. Relaxation time before the Greece game on Friday.

And what harm of it? His counterparts in France at the rugby WC were being lauded for doing the same thing last week.
I am amazed that any one playing at this sort of level is sinking pints so close to a major game. Wont help the rugby team or big duffy one bit 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 4:24am

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 1:07am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Predator Predator wrote:

Was live on Sky last night and played brilliantly against Leicester, though the result went against Norwich.

Playing a high line, he sent a decent pass into Gibbs early in the game, followed by a fantastic tackle high up the pitch to dispossess Iheanacho. Then made a crucial intervention to deny Iheanacho on the subsequent counter.

Yes got Norwich's MotM on their Pink Un supporters site. Very unlucky not to score an equaliser, fantastic save. Playing very well for Norwich, their fans all very happy with him.
Idah Dream!
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 7:07pm
Was live on Sky last night and played brilliantly against Leicester, though the result went against Norwich.

Playing a high line, he sent a decent pass into Gibbs early in the game, followed by a fantastic tackle high up the pitch to dispossess Iheanacho. Then made a crucial intervention to deny Iheanacho on the subsequent counter.

End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 10:00pm
Absolutely imperious today defensively. A few dodgy passes as you might expect, but faultless defensively. Covered Omobamidele (who was also brilliant aside from 2 mistakes in injury time) superbly twice at the death as well.

Interestingly he was operating as RCB in a back 3 at times, as Nunez was often dropping in and splitting the CBs.

Edited by SeaSharp - 29 Aug 2023 at 10:03pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 9:56pm
Agreed. Should definitely be in and around the team.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 8:54pm
I still think Duffy should be in the squad when he is playing regulary and well. When he is not playing regulary he is a bit of a liability TBF. His experience and leadership in the dressing room is not to be sniffed at especially with our young squad and especially without Coleman.
He is probably just behind Collins, Egan and O'Shea in the pecking order based on  current form and the level he is  playing at. Also with the other current options at Centre back are not playing enough (Omobamidele) or not as experienced in international football (McNally, McGuinness) or don't fill you with confidence (Lenihan), I don't think they are a head of Duffy in the pecking order for the upcoming international window ATM.

Edited by darman28 - 27 Aug 2023 at 8:55pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 3:51pm
You won't get too many disputing the defensive side of his game. Once he sticks to the nuts and bolts of defending there's few if any better than him in terms of Irish players. If you want someone to stick a head in, stick a boot in, win duels and so on, he's your man. Which is why he might come into contention against France.

The problem is that that's only one part of a central defender's job now, the game has moved on. Particularly the way Kenny tries to set up his teams to play out from the back. You can't really ignore Duffy's limitations when it comes to this side of it, he's just so poor on the ball under any pressure and that's not going to change at this stage of his career. 

The bottom line is that he has been with three club teams who look to play on the front foot - Brighton, Celtic and Fulham. And they have all decided to let him move on, as have Ireland for the last 12 months. It's great that he's getting a game now for Norwich, but obviously he's had to drop a level to do it. We have three others in his position playing regularly at a higher level and multiple others who are doing similar to what Duffy is doing at Norwich, except that they're younger and better on the ball. 

He may well come back into the squad this week with an eye on the France game, but the reality is that he's unlikely to get too many more starts in green. Unless the next manager is a McCarthy/Allardyce type, they're likely to take a look at Shane and come to the same conclusion that his managers at Celtic, Fulham and Brighton have come to, he's a throwback and has some great attributes, but they don't overrule his weaknesses.
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Duffy sadly just isn't a viable option in any game where we want to play on the front foot. He just hasn't got the game for it. However there is an argument that he could be useful for a backs to the wall effort away to France - provided he's told that all he's allowed to do in possession is either pass it five yards sideways to a teammate in open space or (if that's ever not an option) launch it as far up the field.or as far off the field as he can.

Because as soon as he starts trying to be anyways clever on the ball it will be a disaster.
Norwich City play on the front foot and they're actually doing all right with him, would you believe?

Duffy is probably the best out-and-out defender we have and he has shown that he is more than capable of playing in teams which play on the front foot. He has done it with Graham Potter's Brighton, Stephen Kenny's Ireland (at one point he was the player who had the most appearances under Kenny along with Matt Doherty - that's no accident) and now he is doing it with David Wagner's Norwich. 

The way people talk about him you'd think Duffy was the only defender who has made mistakes. I saw a real howler from Nathan Collins yesterday and not for the first time, yet no one thinks he suddenly isn't a viable option as a defender who deals with danger. Rightly so. Last week I saw Andrew Omobamidele fail to deal with a ball in the lead up to a goal and that's one of our hottest prospects. It happens to the best (except maybe Paolo Maldini).

Duffy is vastly experienced and people seem to have forgotten that has proven himself at the highest levels of the game, tussling with players like Fernando Torres, Harry Kane, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sergio Aguero, Eden Hazard and Cristiano Ronaldo (who he dominated in the air and sent to the shops a few months back, if you recall). He has been around the Premier League and Championship for 14 years. You simply don't do that if you can't play a bit.

At the very least, Duffy is back in the reckoning and will be pushing for a start. It may not be a case of walking straight back into the team, but he'll give Kenny a headache.
End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 9:15am
Defo have him around the squad. There would be certain games where if we needed to score, you could swap him om instead of O'Shea for example and get fresh legs on but then also use him for set pieces.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 8:38am
Duffy sadly just isn't a viable option in any game where we want to play on the front foot. He just hasn't got the game for it. However there is an argument that he could be useful for a backs to the wall effort away to France - provided he's told that all he's allowed to do in possession is either pass it five yards sideways to a teammate in open space or (if that's ever not an option) launch it as far up the field.or as far off the field as he can.

Because as soon as he starts trying to be anyways clever on the ball it will be a disaster.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 1:24am
To be fair lads, his first game of the season was his first start in the best part of a year. He played very well last week, I saw the game and I assume he did well yesterday given they kept a clean sheet and the fans are singing his praises.

I would start him vs the French as Egan is on the cusp of a suspension and the Dutch game is critical.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 157>
  Share Topic