Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shamrock Rovers Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 373>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 9:06pm
Decided to dust off me rovers jersey for this season and headed to the pub to watch the opening game (was to windy to be standing in wicklow on a cold night) my first thoughts were we need to build a huge fcking wall at the mountain end of our hired ground so as we can start trying to do the basics like keep the ball on the deck and we need to keep a couple of the players away from the curry vans around the place
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 11:15pm
Check out who Danny North is playing for ha ha

If you click on the view history - your man keeps coming back and changing it

Edited by horsebox - 09 Mar 2015 at 11:17pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:48pm
I started the thread out of curiosity, just to see what other Hoops fans thought of the squad. Fenlon certainly gets the best out of players, no question, and you could see them putting in the extra effort on Fri night.

It`ll be a bit of a reunion in Longford at the weekend with Rice, Powell, Flynn and Sullivan determined to get one over their old club. The ref could be busy with cards, though I`m told Flynn and Sullivan have toned down their act since their Tallaght days.

What`s the best midfield 4? Waters, Cregg, Fahey and O`Connor? I cant remember such a choice of midfield options in a long number of years for the Hoops. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

LOL

he now plays for the model club
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 1:47pm
Midfield is very strong with places up for grabs. McCabe Cregg and Fahey pick themselves with two other slots to be filled, I think Miele could be a really good addition for example.
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 1:49pm
No its not PM...behave yourself !!!

Edited by Sham157 - 11 Mar 2015 at 1:51pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

LOL

he now plays for the model club
I never noticed that he played for the Bitter Reds too, is that new vandalism or was it up originally?LOL
Spudgunn1980 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudgunn1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

I think Miele could be a really good addition for example.
Not according to a friend who has seen him play numerous games for Newcastle' underage teams. 
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:10am
Can we judge a player fairly on his underage performances, like Miele at Newcastle? Players develop into their 20`s and can often improve dramatically, depending on the coaching they get and the influence of a manager.

"Starryplough" - I agree that Cregg, Mc Cabe and Fahey pick themselves but what about Mc Cabe in a more forward role, playing off the shoulder of North? I`ve seen him play in just about every midfield position and while he has tricky feet, he often gets caught out in possession. Up front, and in a free role, Gary could score goals and not worry about giving away the ball in midfield.

As for wingers, Sean O`Connor is excellent for me and while he sometimes takes too much out of the ball, he`s a really honest performer and gives his all in every game. The same could be said for Kieran Marty Waters, who`s got pace and skill by the truckload though his slight frame is easily injured and knocked off the ball. Bray heads may correct me here but was Marty Waters not very effective on the left wing? I seem to remember him at a Carlisle game cutting in from the left and causing havoc with his favoured right foot 
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 1:15pm
Interesting 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Can we judge a player fairly on his underage performances, like Miele at Newcastle? Players develop into their 20`s and can often improve dramatically, depending on the coaching they get and the influence of a manager.

"Starryplough" - I agree that Cregg, Mc Cabe and Fahey pick themselves but what about Mc Cabe in a more forward role, playing off the shoulder of North? I`ve seen him play in just about every midfield position and while he has tricky feet, he often gets caught out in possession. Up front, and in a free role, Gary could score goals and not worry about giving away the ball in midfield.

As for wingers, Sean O`Connor is excellent for me and while he sometimes takes too much out of the ball, he`s a really honest performer and gives his all in every game. The same could be said for Kieran Marty Waters, who`s got pace and skill by the truckload though his slight frame is easily injured and knocked off the ball. Bray heads may correct me here but was Marty Waters not very effective on the left wing? I seem to remember him at a Carlisle game cutting in from the left and causing havoc with his favoured right foot 

Its an option I guess, but I think Fahey will have the attacking role sown up tbh. We also lack wide options and I think McCabe is the best of our wide options. Windy is a squad player these days, and Waters just hasn't got going yet, but you never know Nutsy might bring the best out of him yet, he wouldn't be the first
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 12:56am
Thanks for the stats "RTID". The manager ones are interesting, with SK only losing one in twelve, though the 7 draws kind of grate. I`m well impressed with MON`s record, only 8 defeats in 53 games. A legend.

I`ve heard Hoops fans being dismissive of Sean O`Connor and calling him Windy but I think he`s an excellent left winger. He can whip in some amazing crosses and he`s always prepared to track back and help out in defence. Do we have a better left wing in the squad?

As for the right wing, I once saw Mc Cabe do a masterclass at Belfield where his pinpoint crosses were only waiting for a glanced header or deft footwork to finish off the chance. He`s a natural fit on the right wing but I`d prefer to see him in a newer role up front and scoring goals.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 7:57am
Sean oconnor and honest dont belong the same sentence
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Indeed. Has had plenty of opportunities since returning to the club. Not a fan despite some of his long range goals last year. Windy is more than accurate.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Thanks for the stats "RTID". The manager ones are interesting, with SK only losing one in twelve, though the 7 draws kind of grate. I`m well impressed with MON`s record, only 8 defeats in 53 games. A legend.

I`ve heard Hoops fans being dismissive of Sean O`Connor and calling him Windy but I think he`s an excellent left winger. He can whip in some amazing crosses and he`s always prepared to track back and help out in defence. Do we have a better left wing in the squad?

As for the right wing, I once saw Mc Cabe do a masterclass at Belfield where his pinpoint crosses were only waiting for a glanced header or deft footwork to finish off the chance. He`s a natural fit on the right wing but I`d prefer to see him in a newer role up front and scoring goals.

Windy is a perfectly appropriate name for him, we've been calling him it since the Tolka days ffs. Its not meant to insult either, I think on his day he is decent but wouldn't have resigned him again if I'm honest. Still has deadly deliveries and always liable to pop up with a cracker though as you say
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 2:45pm
Seanie's a lovely fella.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Is the right answer.

Saturday summed Windy up. Spent the first 25 mins giving out and moping about, then gets the ball and burys it from 25 yards. Then spends the rest of the game moping around. Such a frustrating player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 373>
  Share Topic