You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Second Tier Champions League

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Tier Champions League
    Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 7:24pm
Suggested by Copenhagen

http://www.thescore.ie/champions-league-for-smaller-teams-1608314-Aug2014/
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sponsored Links

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 10:21pm
This would attract very little interest from clubs unless there was money to be made out of it
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 11:31pm
If it were to happen I could see there being a minimum of 8mil for prize money when sponsorship and TV money. Thats very conservative when you look at the amount of money available in the EL. take 16 teams from how ever many leagues choose to enter and you end up with a couple of hundred thousand for group stages and  just under 2 mil for the winner (rough estimates didnt spend long calculating). Add to that big crowds for European football and I see it being a success. You could even have 12 teams in 4 groups of three if only 12 leagues entered top teams going into the semis. Thats 7 games for the winner or 11 in the 16 team format. Its an interesting idea i think but couldnt see it happening under the UEFA umbrella would take cooperation across leagues.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 11:43pm
I think it could work if we actually made it a 2 tier tournament.

I would open to getting all the best teams in the champions league and stop giving token spots to lesser nations. Increasing the spots for the likes of England, Spain, Germany etc

In turn you could just turn the Europa League into the tier 2 competition but still giving teams chances to qualify for the top CL at the start.

What you could do is remove all the Europa league spots from the top countries and turn them into CL spots. The Europa League/Tier 2 slots for the lesser nations would remain. So essentially there wont be any English/Spanish/Germans etc in Tier 2.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 07 Aug 2014 at 11:44pm
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I would open to getting all the best teams in the champions league and stop giving token spots to lesser nations. Increasing the spots for the likes of England, Spain, Germany etc

In turn you could just turn the Europa League into the tier 2 competition but still giving teams chances to qualify for the top CL at the start.

What you could do is remove all the Europa league spots from the top countries and turn them into CL spots. The Europa League/Tier 2 slots for the lesser nations would remain. So essentially there wont be any English/Spanish/Germans etc in Tier 2.

I think that's an awful suggestion Landon. I think there are too many English/ Spanish and German clubs in the cl as it is. If you turn the Europa league spots in these leagues into CL positions , you are killing the smaller leagues in Europe even more. These clubs that would benefit from this inclusion in the CL, will have more money to buy the best players from the Dutch/Belgian/Portuguese etc leagues ( I know this is happening already)and players value will keep going sky high as well as there wages. How would this benefit smaller clubs?
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:06am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

I think that's an awful suggestion Landon. I think there are too many English/ Spanish and German clubs in the cl as it is. If you turn the Europa league spots in these leagues into CL positions , you are killing the smaller leagues in Europe even more. These clubs that would benefit from this inclusion in the CL, will have more money to buy the best players from the Dutch/Belgian/Portuguese etc leagues ( I know this is happening already)and players value will keep going sky high as well as there wages. How would this benefit smaller clubs?

It benefits the small clubs as they are now the big fish in the Europa League/Tier 2 and all the decent teams are in the CL. Although I am not too concerned about the smaller clubs.

Personally I want the best teams in the Champions League. Preferably the CL would be filled with English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Ukraine, Belgium etc. I think it is a bit silly having teams in the Europa League that are miles better than the teams making up the numbers in the CL.

If we want a tier 2 then the current Europa League has no place. Tier 2 games would have to be played on Monday or Friday nights.

If we want a Tier 2, it has to be an actual tier 2. Not a Tier 3 below the Europa League.

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:28am
That's your opinion but all I could see happening is, those top leagues who gain the CL positions at the expence of smaller nations, will get stronger and the gap between the elite and smaller leagues will grow larger. I would much rather a more level playing field when it comes to money in football. I would prefer if England , Spain etc would only have 2 positions in the Cl at most.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:35am
Your point is very valid but closing the gap between the big clubs in the big leagues to the big clubs in the smaller leagues is on an irreversable path. The TV money in the EPL and La Liga will always move further them away from the other leagues. The only way we can reverse it and make the playing field more competitive is a European Super League.

Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:47am

Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

It benefits the small clubs as they are now the big fish in the Europa League/Tier 2 and all the decent teams are in the CL. Although I am not too concerned about the smaller clubs.

Personally I want the best teams in the Champions League. Preferably the CL would be filled with English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Ukraine, Belgium etc. I think it is a bit silly having teams in the Europa League that are miles better than the teams making up the numbers in the CL.

If we want a tier 2 then the current Europa League has no place. Tier 2 games would have to be played on Monday or Friday nights.

If we want a Tier 2, it has to be an actual tier 2. Not a Tier 3 below the Europa League.

And in a nutshell that would appear to just about sum up your World view. Not just of football. Let the rich (clubs) get richer and the poor (clubs) get poorer. You are a visionary Clap
I will say this for you tho Landon, 10/10 for honesty Thumbs Up

The Kerry paedophile formerly known as PanteirA is bang on the money here. We need a greater slice of cake for the smaller nations/clubs. This benefits the "big" clubs in the longer term also, as more competitive games from more nations (more TV, Sponsorship, attendance etc) benefits football at an aggregate level. 
For anyone who supposedly supports LOI (a small league), to argue for less €€€ and opportunities for our (smaller) clubs in Europe makes Zero sense. It would be akin to the smaller Nations of the EU ceding more power over their own National fisheries to just 3 or 4 big countries like France & Spain. How would that benefit Ireland??? Ditto for football...
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:50am

Won't somebody think of the draws Cry
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:53am
Forum etiquette has really been lost in this section lately

The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 3:07am

Forum etiquette has really been lost in this section lately

give over, plenty of other posters get given stick where it's deserved.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 8:21am

The money is fairly good for clubs knocked out early. I'd say St Pats got a good bit of money for a club their size.

'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic