You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seanie Maguire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 53>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.

And would yer views on him be any way coloured by his miserable spell at Sligo by any chance ?? 

Yes and no deise. In fairness I did see him play a lot more than most people, even if it was a few years ago. I'm sure he has improved but his attitude was questionable with us.

West Ham, no impact. Sligo Rovers, no impact. Accrington Stanley, no real impact. Dundalk, no impact. He's had a good season with Cork last year and is doing Ok this season, but remember Cork are head and shoulders above most other teams in LOI and brushing teams aside. A half decent striker should be scoring plenty in that Cork team in fairness.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him and he can go up a level or two, but international level would be a shock. Good luck to him.
Sponsored Links

Keano2000 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keano2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:29pm

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.

And would yer views on him be any way coloured by his miserable spell at Sligo by any chance ?? 

Yes and no deise. In fairness I did see him play a lot more than most people, even if it was a few years ago. I'm sure he has improved but his attitude was questionable with us.

West Ham, no impact. Sligo Rovers, no impact. Accrington Stanley, no real impact. Dundalk, no impact. He's had a good season with Cork last year and is doing Ok this season, but remember Cork are head and shoulders above most other teams in LOI and brushing teams aside. A half decent striker should be scoring plenty in that Cork team in fairness.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him and he can go up a level or two, but international level would be a shock. Good luck to him.
You're not being harsh at all, you're spot on.  He's doing very well in a very good Cork side, as you said any decent LOI striker would be scoring a good few in that team.  He'll never be good enough for the national team.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:04pm
Brilliant finish.Clap
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:27pm
Hat-trick in front of MON and Roy.. all poacher's goals.. the boy has timing, you can give him that.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Hat-trick in front of MON and Roy.. all poacher's goals.. the boy has timing, you can give him that.

It would do him no harm even training with the squad for the next few days.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm
He was absolutely superb tonight, his movement is so good. I think he has left us a league title after tonight.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:31pm
Picked the perfect night to score a hattrick.
Hi Lads
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:37pm
3 great finishes tonight. Will cork have him for their European matches in july?
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:43pm
Martin O Neill is a dinosaur and you would hope he would give the chap a chance but can't see it happening. Who else have we that has the pace and feet of Seanie Mc and is fit to play fir us up front
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:27pm
You've got to take in the opposition. There f**king dire.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I agree with this to an extent,grammar aside, but I have also said that when a player looks far better than his opponents he needs to be assessed on that. The Ireland manager has too small a pool to be waiting on another manager in England to vindicate his selection.
I am the first to admit that the LOI is very, very poor, but Seani is not. A look at him in a friendly would have helped him, the league and the buyer and it would have cost nothing.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:37pm
Loi is not very very poor it's a decent standard. Maguire movement, finishing and link up play is top class. He will have a good career in England no doubt.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yea sure they are dire but so are our opinions . More to gain than to lose
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Loi is not very very poor it's a decent standard. Maguire movement, finishing and link up play is top class. He will have a good career in England no doubt.
It is poor, by and large, but Cork City have a decent team and a player in Maguire who is superb. I was questioning him and his attitude, privately, the past few weeks but that was sensational tonight. This was a huge game, for both clubs, and he did that. He is a superb striker and will, if he gets a chance, do very well at Preston.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:21pm
If anyone believes Murphy, Rooney, Sheridan, McGoldrick, Doyle, etc. wouldn't be doing exactly the same in the LOI they're kidding themselves unfortunately. Maguire has something, but exactly what it is is hard to gauge playing at that level.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

If anyone believes Murphy, Rooney, Sheridan, McGoldrick, Doyle, etc. wouldn't be doing exactly the same in the LOI they're kidding themselves unfortunately. Maguire has something, but exactly what it is is hard to gauge playing at that level.
This here is the problem......... It is the ability to cut the wheat from the chaff, and not wait for a manager in England to do so. Same argument with Enda Stevens, as an example. You shouldn't need a second opinion! I know the LOI is sh*te, Seani is better than it. Therefore, worth a look!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This here is the problem......... It is the ability to cut the wheat from the chaff, and not wait for a manager in England to do so. Same argument with Enda Stevens, as an example. You shouldn't need a second opinion! I know the LOI is sh*te, Seani is better than it. Therefore, worth a look!

Maguire is clearly a useful player, the problem is that the guys ahead of him have also looked useful at a much higher standard than the LOI. I thoroughly believe McGoldrick and Murphy would score 30+ goals a year if they were playing in the LOI, so it makes it difficult to judge whether or not Maguire is any improvement on them. He deserves a shot in training either way, but I wouldn't be getting overly carried away with him at the same time.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:40pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Maguire is clearly a useful player, the problem is that the guys ahead of him have also looked useful at a much higher standard than the LOI. I thoroughly believe McGoldrick and Murphy would score 30+ goals a year if they were playing in the LOI, so it makes it difficult to judge whether or not Maguire is any improvement on them. He deserves a shot in training either way, but I wouldn't be getting overly carried away with him at the same time.
I am not sure anyone is getting overly carried away! I just think that when someone stands out, as Maguire does, he should be looked at.
I am also not sure that McGoldrick would hit thirty in the West Cork league, that lad is awful. *

*Hyperbole may be involved!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 53>
  Share Topic