Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seanie Maguire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 53>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:52pm
I think to be fair Liam, nobody, even Maguire's biggest fans, is suggesting he should be an option for the first team as yet, but looking at the bigger picture, which is really only a year/year and a half away, it isn't inconceivable that Murphy (35 in March '18) , Doyle (34 in September '17) & Walters (34 in September '17) might all have packed it in at that stage, even if they haven't, they are going to be diminishing options for us at the very least. If we were to get to Russia, the chances are all 3 would likely call it a day.

Shane Long is 31 in January '17, still a few years left in him, but he is getting to that stage of his career where he will begin to gradually lose his pace, which is a huge part of his game. He will likely have to adapt his game somewhat as this happens, and how successful he is in doing that will determine whether he will be a longer term option for us. Because of lack of alternatives, he will continue to be in & around the team for a good while to come, but in 2 years time, he might not be in the role he is used at the minute. 

There really is very little out there after that. As things stand, Hogan (who may or may not turn out to be any good in any case) is an Englishman who doesn't play for us. Stokes is a never has been and can't get a game with Blackburn, who will do well to escape league 1 this year.  Joe Mason has never really nailed down his place for a full season with any team, and scores 5-10 goals a season in the championship, which really isn't anything exceptional, Wes Hoolahan gets around the same from midfield, Alan Judge, before he got injured, had more than that last year, likewise Conor Hourihane.  Mason will could well start making squads post 2018, but I don't think we should be expecting too much out of him. 

Adam Rooney is a squad regular, but the management clearly don't think he is up to too much. Cillian Sheridan is another fella who will probably start making squads in a years time, I haven't really seen him playing since underage level, where I thought he was lacking the first touch to make the top level, his list of clubs since seems to prove that assessment some way correct. In 2018, that might not be any barrier for him to become a regular for us, such are the lack of options. 

There are others, like Paddy Madden, Eoin Doyle and even Podge Amond out there, but it would be a fairly huge stretch at this point to see any of them getting caps (further caps in Madden's case) , never mind becoming Ireland regulars.

Whether we like it or not, and regardless of anyone's opinion of Maguire, he is a hell of a lot closer to the Irish squad/team than a lot of people think he is right now, and if in a year and a half's time, we are going to be picking from the likes of Sheridan, Rooney, Mason, Maguire etc, MON may as well start throwing these lads into his giant squads, if only to get them used to it. Maguire is the only fella under 25 of all those named too, something that isn't insignificant either. 

It isn't about awarding caps or squad places for the sake of it, it's looking at options beyond our 30 plus year old current crew of strikers, and the lack of options makes for scary enough reading. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:36pm
Nail on the head deise
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:01pm
Do most see Maguire going to a good championship club or a Premier side across the water at the end of the LOI season if he keeps up anywhere near this level of form? Surely there will be a rake of offers for him.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Do most see Maguire going to a good championship club or a Premier side across the water at the end of the LOI season if he keeps up anywhere near this level of form? Surely there will be a rake of offers for him.
Spot on Deise!
I am slightly biased, but Maguire is the best forward I have seen in the LOI since a young O'Flynn, whatever happens afterwards is up to him.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:34pm
Is he on more than the year long contract PM? I hope so, would be a pity if the better league of Ireland players keep leaving for peanuts if that does happen with Maguire.

He does a look a special player alright. Have only seen him play in 4 or 5 full matches myself. Am I right in saying that there's very few areas he'd be weak in as a forward? Looks like a total all rounder to me. Can drop off, link up play, beat players, assists, finishes brilliantly, quick as well.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Is he on more than the year long contract PM? I hope so, would be a pity if the better league of Ireland players keep leaving for peanuts if that does happen with Maguire.

He does a look a special player alright. Have only seen him play in 4 or 5 full matches myself. Am I right in saying that there's very few areas he'd be weak in as a forward? Looks like a total all rounder to me. Can drop off, link up play, beat players, assists, finishes brilliantly, quick as well.

I don't think he is Hans (PM or some of the Cork lads might know differently) and even J Caulfield's statement last night denying any new bids for him also (reading between the lines) half put a 'for sale' sign on him, between ruling out League 1 clubs, but yet saying if the money was right, Cork wouldn't stand in his way. 

Half reminds me of Alex Neil's post euros statements about Robbie Brady (not for sale, no bids received, but if we were to receive.... etc, etc), and we know what happened in the end there. Basically, for any English championship team who fancies him, Maguire can be bought for a relative pittance. Sooner rather than later, someone is going to take the chance, tis up to Seanie himself after that. 

Is he good enough ? I thought he was good enough 4 years ago, where he was the standout player in an admittedly poor LOI 1st division, and WHU, at least to an extent, thought the same at the time. It didn't work out for him, neither did moves to Sligo or Dundalk, but since that, he has firstly regained, and then bettered, that initial form he showed for Waterford under Caulfield & CCFC in the past 2 years. 

It has to be remembered he went to WHU when he was only 18 years old, and suffered badly from homesickness, he won't be the first or last young Irish fella to have that happen him. There are a handful of lads who went from the LOI premier to championship teams, Fahey, Doyle, Long and recently Horgan & Boyle, but all of those were considerably older than Maguire (bar Long) when they did so, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has gone from LOI division 1 to a premier team & made an impression any time recently, so that isn't something I would be reading too much in to. 

What also marks him out as a bit different is the fact he returned to the LOI 2 years after failing at WHU, and initially didn't do a thing with either Sligo or Dundalk, as any of their fans will attest to. That still didn't deter him though, and he has shown a good bit of belief & determination to show that early promise he had wasn't all down to hype & optimistic LOI fans like me thinking this lad has a chance to play for Ireland (Great credit has to go to John Caulfield here).

Some will deride that & think it doesn't mean a lot in the big scheme of things, but it isn't as easy as all that, we only have to look at other young Irish lads who had far bigger reputations who returned to the LOI after spells in the UK, such as Conor Clifford, Shane Supple, go back a bit further & look at even older lads with loads of experience like Liam Miller, Colin Healy, Stephen McPhail, Stephen Elliot, very , very few of them managed to look much better than competent LOI players, none stood out, nor still stand out,  in the manner Maguire has, and the previous 4 mentioned all had international caps. 

He does have some weaknesses, his decision making, although vastly improved since his Waterford days, has further room for improvement, and as he isn't the biggest of lads, he does require a team, and a few teammates, who are able to have the intelligence to play to his strengths, which don't involve lumping long, high balls at him, that might sound obvious, but at the same time, (the excellent manager) Stephen Kenny couldn't quite manage it, and he will, when the time comes, have to choose his English/UK team reasonably carefully. 

I'm not sure even still that he can be a top level EPL striker, but championship football is well within his capabilities if all goes well for him & he continues to be in the vein of form he has been in for Cork these last 2 years. 

adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:06pm
http://www.punditarena.com/football/sokeefe/maguire-ireland-friendly-uruguay/

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt but it's positive if it's true
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:44pm
From the42.ie:

Preston North End Simon Grayson manager Simon Grayson and club consultant Peter Risdale were among the 1,768 in attendance, with reports that the Championship club are keen on adding Sean Maguire to their ranks.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:57pm
Seani's agent is Seth Johnson is Seth Johnson, somebody Ridsdale knows well from their time bankrupting Leeds United together. It would seem there is something very much in the rumours anyway.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Seani's agent is Seth Johnson is Seth Johnson, somebody Ridsdale knows well from their time bankrupting Leeds United together. It would seem there is something very much in the rumours anyway.
He could get a whopper contract off that pair

Edited by BigStrongMan - 21 Apr 2017 at 10:11pm
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He could get a whopper contract off that pair
Negotiations will work backwards, they will offer Seani 100k and he will say "ah lads, that is too much", then they will agree on 50k a week, 20k a goal and a massive aquarium.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

From the42.ie:

Preston North End Simon Grayson manager Simon Grayson and club consultant Peter Risdale were among the 1,768 in attendance, with reports that the Championship club are keen on adding Sean Maguire to their ranks.
jaysus preston north end should just relocate to ireland. Or put a reserve team in the first division. A feeder team for their championship seniors.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:10pm

Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Nowhere close (or will ever be) for international standard football. LOI or a step up is his level.
From what I've seen with CCFC, he's the exact same attitude and ability as Kevin Doyle, who was clearly good enough for international football
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

And would yer views on him be any way coloured by his miserable spell at Sligo by any chance ?? 

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:42pm
Never knew he was born in the U.K.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Never knew he was born in the U.K.
You can tell by the accent.
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:12am
Simon Grayson seemed to enjoy himself at Kasabian gig on Saturday night in the Olympia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 53>
  Share Topic