Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seanie Maguire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 53>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
Anyone else think that for the Mexico game we could have a completely different squad?

Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:44pm
No, I think a few Championship players will get a run out, especially those who don't make the playoffs (Derby, Preston and Norwich could well all miss out).
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

No, I think a few Championship players will get a run out, especially those who don't make the playoffs (Derby, Preston and Norwich could well all miss out).
Derby and Norwich have already written the season off, Preston still seem to be holding onto hope but that is because they have overachieved.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
I`d say Maguire saw Horgan and Boyle getting capped last night and he`ll be thinking inside the next 6-12months that could be him.
I think right now Maguire has more to offer the international set up (youth and predatory instincts) than Kevin Doyle.
It will probably take a stellar showing in Europe this year/a move to the Championship before he gets recognition.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I`d say Maguire saw Horgan and Boyle getting capped last night and he`ll be thinking inside the next 6-12months that could be him.
I think right now Maguire has more to offer the international set up (youth and predatory instincts) than Kevin Doyle.
It will probably take a stellar showing in Europe this year/a move to the Championship before he gets recognition.

How can you possibly know that? Maguire has had ONE good season in the LOI. Previously he has failed to make a single West Ham squad, and had underwhelming spells at Accrington, Sligo, and Dundalk. He also failed to display any particular quality when playing with our Under-21's. Maybe Maguire will be an option in the future, but at the moment there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have. He's way down the list and the lovefest over him is as big a sign of desperation as I've seen in a long time.
We're decent enough..
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

How can you possibly know that? Maguire has had ONE good season in the LOI. Previously he has failed to make a single West Ham squad, and had underwhelming spells at Accrington, Sligo, and Dundalk. He also failed to display any particular quality when playing with our Under-21's. Maybe Maguire will be an option in the future, but at the moment there is nothing whatsoever to suggest he's better than what we already have. He's way down the list and the lovefest over him is as big a sign of desperation as I've seen in a long time.

This.Thumbs Up People getting desperate about this lad because we are in dire need of a striker.
The only way is up
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

This.Thumbs Up People getting desperate about this lad because we are in dire need of a striker.

exactly we are desperate Doyle is brutal and not getting any better at this stage.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:01pm
The situation is beyond desperate, we were desperate a while back! Our first choice strikers are all of over 30 and all have their weaknesses, then we have the likes of Rooney,Stokes, Sammon and Sheridan, who probably aren't good enough but deserve a look due to the desperation factor and, after that, absolutely nothing!
You are looking at Cox, Madden,Mooney,  Amond and Reece Grego-Cox! 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:16pm
I am not sugesting he plays versus Austria, this lad has potential, he has scored goals for fun for the past 18 months in the league of ireland, europa league and for the republic of ireland u21's. International football is a big step up but no harm having him around the squad.Doyle didnt make it to euro2016 he will be less efective by 2018 maguire is at least heading in the other direction.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:18pm
Did he score in the EL?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:28pm
None for West Ham (no appearances...), 7 in 33 for Accrington. Coupled with 1 in 18 for Sligo, 0 in 6 for Dundalk, and 1 in 10 for the under-21's, it might suggest people are getting a tad carried away. In terms of his scoring exploits last year, it's not entirely dissimilar to what Amond did, the only major difference in Maguires favour being that he is younger.
We're decent enough..
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Did he score in the EL?

El = Europa League 3 goals in six games
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The situation is beyond desperate, we were desperate a while back! Our first choice strikers are all of over 30 and all have their weaknesses, then we have the likes of Rooney,Stokes, Sammon and Sheridan, who probably aren't good enough but deserve a look due to the desperation factor and, after that, absolutely nothing!

This is something MON had 4 years to solve and saw coming or at least should have seen. His priority seems to be the immediate now though and not about the future.

Edited by grannyrule - 29 Mar 2017 at 8:49pm
The only way is up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:47pm

None for West Ham (no appearances...), 7 in 33 for Accrington. Coupled with 1 in 18 for Sligo, 0 in 6 for Dundalk, and 1 in 10 for the under-21's, it might suggest people are getting a tad carried away. In terms of his scoring exploits last year, it's not entirely dissimilar to what Amond did, the only major difference in Maguires favour being that he is younger.
And far, far better, if you ever watched the two of them!  It is funny that you mention Amond as he must be about 7/8 choice for Ireland at the moment. I agree it has taken a while for him to settle in places but Caulfield has put faith in him and got the best out of him, while the lad has developed physically and mentally. He only started one game for Dundalk and needed the arm around the shoulder and I think he has got that.
In an ideal world there shouldn't even be a debate about him playing for Ireland, it is solely out of desperation, but we have to look at all our options. I was hugely frustrated that Rooney wasn't involved last night, even though I doubt he is good enough!At the moment we are a couple of injuries away from recalling the likes of  Cox or Sammon and I don't think either of those would ever put in a performance like Seanie did away to a team who are now in the Europa League quarter-finals.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

This is something MON had 4 years to solve and saw coming or at least should have seen. His priority seems to be the immediate now though and not about the future.

Agree, he is very much a man for the moment and always has been, he left Celtic in a very poor state considering what he had achieved there.
I am not going to criticise him too much, he has done very well with a fairly average group of players and I do wonder if some of these friendly matches are of any interest to him at all. I just wish that he made more use of them.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:01pm

And far, far better, if you ever watched the two of them!  It is funny that you mention Amond as he must be about 7/8 choice for Ireland at the moment. I agree it has taken a while for him to settle in places but Caulfield has put faith in him and got the best out of him, while the lad has developed physically and mentally. He only started one game for Dundalk and needed the arm around the shoulder and I think he has got that.
In an ideal world there shouldn't even be a debate about him playing for Ireland, it is solely out of desperation, but we have to look at all our options. I was hugely frustrated that Rooney wasn't involved last night, even though I doubt he is good enough!At the moment we are a couple of injuries away from recalling the likes of  Cox or Sammon and I don't think either of those would ever put in a performance like Seanie did away to a team who are now in the Europa League quarter-finals.

I can't see Amond as being anywhere close to 7th/8th choice. You have the likes of Long, Walters, Murphy, McGoldrick, Rooney, Doyle, Sheridan, Cox, Madden, O'Brien, Mason and so on all certainly ahead of him, and then guys like Best, Eoin Doyle, and Sammon who are probably even ahead of him too. Our situation ain't great, but it's not bad enough for Amond to be anywhere near our top 10 strikers....
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:08pm

I can't see Amond as being anywhere close to 7th/8th choice. You have the likes of Long, Walters, Murphy, McGoldrick, Rooney, Doyle, Sheridan, Cox, Madden, O'Brien, Mason and so on all certainly ahead of him, and then guys like Best, Eoin Doyle, and Sammon who are probably even ahead of him too. Our situation ain't great, but it's not bad enough for Amond to be anywhere near our top 10 strikers....
Definitely need an old sarcasm font on here alright!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Why look at his past?

Why not look at right now?

Maguire is in superb form, over last season and into this season he has been scoring all sorts of goals be it with his head, tap ins and goals that are down to individual brilliance in its own right.

What is there to lose by giving him 45 minutes in a friendly? What is to learn out of playing Simox Cox, Kevin Doyle or Daryl Murphy for argument sake? 

The way you've spoken, you would swear we were looking for Maguire to start against Wales the other evening.......
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 53>
  Share Topic