Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sean St Ledger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:15am
Go on the Ledge, put him in your pocket

St Ledger relishing Henry battle

Thursday, 12 November 2009 10:11

Sean St Ledger is hoping not to lose too much sleep over the prospect of trying to keep Thierry Henry and Nicolas Anelka at bay.

The 25-year-old Republic of Ireland defender is in line to win his eighth senior cap in Saturday's World Cup play-off clash with France at Croke Park before heading to Paris for the return leg next Wednesday.

Ireland's chances of making next summer's finals in South Africa could depend largely on how he and partner Richard Dunne cope with the threat of the French strikeforce, and the Middlesbrough stopper knows just how tough a task that could be.

Asked if that thought was keeping him awake at night, St Ledger said: 'I don't fancy facing Anelka and Henry on two hours' sleep.

'It's a daunting prospect. I have watched them on a Saturday night on Match of the Day, I have seen people trying to catch Henry and it's a scary thought.

'But at the same time, I look forward to it. It's one of those games I have always dreamt of playing in and it's only a few days away.

'I want to play in the Premier League at some point - that's why I joined Middlesbrough - and I would have to be playing against these players week in and week out, so it will be a good judge of how far I can go or how far I have gone.

'But only time will tell.'

If manager Giovanni Trapattoni sticks with what has become his first-choice defence in recent games, St Ledger will be the junior member of a quartet which will also include the hugely-experienced Dunne, Kevin Kilbane and John O'Shea, who have amassed 214 caps between them.

However, his speed across the ground could prove vital, although he is not expecting to be able to show Barcelona hitman Henry a clean pair of heels.

St Ledger said: 'I don't know about racing Henry - I'm not that quick. It is going to be a difficult game for us, but Kevin, Richard, Shay (Given) and John have played against these players week in and week out and have had the experience, and I am sure they will pass that on to me.'

Experience is something St Ledger is gathering by the minute on the international stage having only made his senior debut against Nigeria in May.

But Trapattoni had no qualms about pitching him into battle with Italy last month, when his late header looked to have clinched a famous victory until the reigning champions snatched a draw at the death.

The defender said: 'Against Italy, I said it was the biggest game of my career, and I feel like I am repeating myself again. It is obviously a huge, huge game, just one below the World Cup finals, and you can't get much bigger than that.'

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:20am
S-ledge-hammer!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:38am
Heart
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:44am
Ireland's best player in both legs.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:47am
Played, what, 7 times for Ireland?

4 of the huge games in front of massive crowds. What a player. He will be a fantastic defender
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:49am
brilliant performance
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:51am

Immense performance

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
Mick_G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 12:36pm
what age is he?
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Mick_G Mick_G wrote:

what age is he?

25 next month
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
GalwayFan View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GalwayFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 1:42pm
Obvious that he loves playing for his country
COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN
Tierdrop View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tierdrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 1:43pm

perhaps a future captain of ireland?

kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 2:12pm
DEFO FUTURE CAPTAIN
Read it 3 times before posting
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 2:14pm
Hopefully him and Dunne have a few more years as a partnership because he absolutaly class.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
CptnThunderBolt View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CptnThunderBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 2:19pm

He is on Goals on Sunday this week
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 2:27pm
St Legend
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 4:24pm

St Legend

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 4:30pm
Next time there are bandwagoners at a match, tell them his name is just Seán Ledger but we nicknamed him St Ledger after the last campaign and it stuck...
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Daz View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

St Legend

Heart Heart Heart 

i love him so much Hug

YBIG - Where everyone is a fooking expert :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic