Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sean Scannell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Double standard
How so?

This is not a case of someone born on "our territory" (FIFA definition) being approached/permitted to play for you. Nor is it a case of someone born on "your territory" being approached/permitted to play for us (all that being the basis of the eligibility disagreement between us).

Fact is, Scannell is English. And were he good enough to play for England, odds-on they would be his "default" setting, like eg Connor Wickham or Harry Kane. 

Or would you object if, eg, Jamaica approached him and asked him to play for them?

Meanwhile, you might point out that he came up through your under-age set-up. Except that since he's reached "adult" playing status, it has become quite clear that ROI have no further interest in capping him, indeed two managers have declined to cap him for a decade now. Therefore he must be free to pursue an international career with whoever he's eligible for and who will consider him.

Again, this is essentially different from the likes of James McClean, who was called up by NI for a senior competitive game and accepted before Sunderland came on the scene, prompting interest from ROI, eventually causing him to withdraw from the NI set-up.

Oh, and Scannell's connection with NI is through his (ahem) NI-born father, Co.Armagh to be precise. Were that connection, say, a Co. Monaghan father, then we would have neither interest or entitlement.

But yeah, apart from all that... Wink

If your going down this road

Terri which part of NI is Maik Taylor's family connected to ?
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:26pm

My comment was tongue in cheek.
Your comment was tongue in cheek, mine was serious.

I was tempted to complain about the valuable resources that Sean wasted while taking up someone else’s place in our underage squads, but then I’d be going down to your brethren’s level.
I'm glad you managed to resist the temptation, since that would only have made your "point" even more risible.

Fact is, when SS was playing for your under-age teams, it was not with the intention of "using" them until his preferred choice came along (eg Shane Duffy or Jack Grealish). Nor can you regret the waste of time and resources expended on SS any more than on any other young player who doesn't eventually make the grade, regardless of where he was born. It's one of the chances you take with youngsters that some won't make it.

Except that for NI, when we have young players who do, we can still see them snapped up by ROI, despite there being no possibility of the reverse occurring.

But yeah, apart from that... Confused
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Extremely unlikely to ever get a senior cap for us so best of luck to him.

Is it? He’s on the books of a premier league club, an injury or two and he could find himself playing a few games, which is all he needs for an Ireland call-up.
If* he were to accept a call-up for NI, then he would implicitly be confirming the end of his ROI hopes. And you might expect the player himself to know his own chances.

* - Stress the "if"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Just as eg Scannell's Irish passport entitles him to play for either of the Irish international teams under FIFA rules, despite his not having been born in Ireland, so Taylor's British passport entitled him to play for any of the British international teams under FIFA rules and despite his not having been born in the UK. So my argument is entirely consistent.

Except that recognising such an unusual situation, the four British Associations voluntarily agreed between themselves that in future, such a case would have to prove a link with any of the four he wished to represent. So that if Taylor's case were to arise now, that would be England (only), since he signed for an English club, Southampton, after he bought himself out of the (ahem) British Army.

Anyhow, I think you and some of the other respondents might benefit from staying away from the "whataboutery" and concentrating instead on a bit of this:

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2018 at 1:43pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Extremely unlikely to ever get a senior cap for us so best of luck to him.

Is it? He’s on the books of a premier league club, an injury or two and he could find himself playing a few games, which is all he needs for an Ireland call-up.
If* he were to accept a call-up for NI, then he would implicitly be confirming the end of his ROI hopes. And you might expect the player himself to know his own chances.

* - Stress the "if"

Robbie Brady and Callum O’Dowda are both injured for Ireland’s upcoming friendlies, James McClean is out of form.

Our MON has promised to try some left-field options, considering that the above three players play a similar position to Sean, it isn’t completely inconceivable that he makes one of our 40-man provisional squads.

Now I’m not saying he will, or even should be called up, but just like you, we’ve a small playing pool, I’m sure Martin will want as many options available as possible.

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Double standard
How so?

This is not a case of someone born on "our territory" (FIFA definition) being approached/permitted to play for you. Nor is it a case of someone born on "your territory" being approached/permitted to play for us (all that being the basis of the eligibility disagreement between us).

Fact is, Scannell is English. And were he good enough to play for England, odds-on they would be his "default" setting, like eg Connor Wickham or Harry Kane. 

Or would you object if, eg, Jamaica approached him and asked him to play for them?

Meanwhile, you might point out that he came up through your under-age set-up. Except that since he's reached "adult" playing status, it has become quite clear that ROI have no further interest in capping him, indeed two managers have declined to cap him for a decade now. Therefore he must be free to pursue an international career with whoever he's eligible for and who will consider him.

Again, this is essentially different from the likes of James McClean, who was called up by NI for a senior competitive game and accepted before Sunderland came on the scene, prompting interest from ROI, eventually causing him to withdraw from the NI set-up.

Oh, and Scannell's connection with NI is through his (ahem) NI-born father, Co.Armagh to be precise. Were that connection, say, a Co. Monaghan father, then we would have neither interest or entitlement.

But yeah, apart from all that... Wink

Germany 

Wee Lawrie Sanchez too. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 2:42pm
Sanchez qualified through his mother, I don't think anybody could have a problem with that.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Rationalisation at it's finest ^^.
Care to point to the flaw in my rationale? (It's "reasoning", actually, but I'll let you away with that)

Rationalisation has a very different meaning to reasoning, which should be evident from the context. People "reason" to find rational coherence; they "rationalise" to try and justify logically incoherent viewpoints, which is exactly what you're doing.
We're decent enough..
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 3:07pm
I agree with a few games under his belt he could become an option for us, seems like one of those players who has been around for years surprised he is only 26 tbh
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Never considered before...now a panic because he might leave us

Who's panicking ?
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Never considered before...now a panic because he might leave us
what panic and from who,? the only bolloxology is coming from your bitter snide drum beater here
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I agree with a few games under his belt he could become an option for us, seems like one of those players who has been around for years surprised he is only 26 tbh

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 4:30pm

Care to point to the flaw in my rationale? (It's "reasoning", actually, but I'll let you away with that)

Rationalisation has a very different meaning to reasoning, which should be evident from the context. People "reason" to find rational coherence; they "rationalise" to try and justify logically incoherent viewpoints, which is exactly what you're doing.
That's all very well except that you have yet to demonstrate that my viewpoint (reasoning) is "logically incoherent".

So it's back to you, Socrates.

(I shan't be holding my breath)

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2018 at 4:31pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 4:37pm

Robbie Brady and Callum O’Dowda are both injured for Ireland’s upcoming friendlies, James McClean is out of form.

Our MON has promised to try some left-field options, considering that the above three players play a similar position to Sean, it isn’t completely inconceivable that he makes one of our 40-man provisional squads.

Now I’m not saying he will, or even should be called up, but just like you, we’ve a small playing pool, I’m sure Martin will want as many options available as possible.
Martin may ask him, he may even accept (if nothing else to please his oul fella?).

But were I in his position, I don't think I'd be in any rush to make player No. 36 in the squad of a manager who had studiously ignored me for four years, and that for a friendly where the three players normally ahead of me were coincidentally unavailable or out-of-form.

Indeed I'm not sure I'd take a place on the bench, or even in the starting XI, without some sort of additional assurance as to the future.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 4:40pm
I'd be more worried about getting a call up while carrying a shoulder injury.
but that's just me.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 5:14pm

That's all very well except that you have yet to demonstrate that my viewpoint (reasoning) is "logically incoherent".

So it's back to you, Socrates.

(I shan't be holding my breath)

Both situations involve one association recruiting a player who has played at different levels for another association. That doesn't fit well with your own "victim narrative", so you have tried to introduce superfluous distinctions into the equation.

To tackle some of those superfluous narratives (albeit in truth I don't really need to) here are a few points:

1. Brady, O'Dowda, and Hayes are all currently out with long-term injuries for us, and McGeady is being tipped for retirement in some quarters. That doesn't leave us with very many options on the wing. It's not outlandish to suggest that Scannell could be of use to us in the coming year (in the same way as Alex Bruce, another player of ours who you recruited, may well have won more call-ups for us when he was starting regularly for Hull in the EPL).

2. Even if you are right, and Scannell is no longer a viable option for us, that doesn't alter the fact that you previously tried to recruit him in 2012, at which point he was still an important part of our Under-21 side!

3. Scannell has 25 underage caps for us. To make use of an argument frequently utilised by victimised NI fans; that's 25 caps that could have went towards developing someone else. Using the exact same logic that was thrown at us regarding Messrs Duffy, Gibson, Wilson, and McClean, you're effectively "robbing us" of our investment (not that I actually subscribe to this logic, I'm merely pointing out how it applies in precisely the same way to Scannell as it did to McClean and so on).

In essence then, there is no substantive difference between us taking on the likes of Duffy and McClean, and you taking on the likes of Scannell and Bruce. You can either take the view that they're all equally legitimate, or equally illegitimate; but you can't have it both ways.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm

To tackle some of those superfluous narratives (albeit in truth I don't really need to) here are a few points:

1. Brady, O'Dowda, and Hayes are all currently out with long-term injuries for us, and McGeady is being tipped for retirement in some quarters. That doesn't leave us with very many options on the wing. It's not outlandish to suggest that Scannell could be of use to us in the coming year (in the same way as Alex Bruce, another player of ours who you recruited, may well have won more call-ups for us when he was starting regularly for Hull in the EPL).
Scannell hasn't represented ROI for a decade, including under both your previous and current managers. Therefore it is hardly unreasonable for Michael to assume that he is no longer of interest to your team. Besides which, Scannell could always inform him if that assumption was incorrect.
But maybe you think we should wait another decade? Confused
As for your "Bruce may well have won more call-ups for ROI etc" - from GreenScene: "... the twice-capped Republic of Ireland international defender has chosen to play for Northern Ireland, where he sees a better chance of international recognition."

2. Even if you are right, and Scannell is no longer a viable option for us, that doesn't alter the fact that you previously tried to recruit him in 2012, at which point he was still an important part of our Under-21 side!
You don't get it, do you? 
Scannell is/was neither "yours" or "ours" to start with - he was England's, i.e. as much "fair game" for us to approach as you. Or Jamaica.

3. Scannell has 25 underage caps for us. To make use of an argument frequently utilised by victimised NI fans; that's 25 caps that could have went towards developing someone else. Using the exact same logic that was thrown at us regarding Messrs Duffy, Gibson, Wilson, and McClean, you're effectively "robbing us" of our investment (not that I actually subscribe to this logic, I'm merely pointing out how it applies in precisely the same way to Scannell as it did to McClean and so on).
The FAI gave him those 25 games because they genuinely believed he might make it to senior international status. And considering eg he was Young Player of the Year" at Palace aged 18, that is/was hardly unreasonable.
Just the same way as eg we gave 18 caps to Shane Duffy, from U-18 to "B", on the basis that he might make the step up for us.
Or do you imagine that SS consciously accepted those places in your under-age teams on the basis that when it suited him, he would then defect to his "first love"?
I know for a fact that for some time now, FAI officials have been "tapping up" the parents of young NI kids barely into their teens, with meals out and tickets to The AVIVA etc, despite their bullsh*t denials about making the first approach. 
It's but a short step from there to advising them: "Just keep him playing for NI at junior level, then we'll be back again when the time's right."
Or maybe you imagine that an organisation run by a figure of such impeccable probity as John Delaney would never stoop to such tactics? Confused

In essence then, there is no substantive difference between us taking on the likes of Duffy and McClean, and you taking on the likes of Scannell and Bruce. You can either take the view that they're all equally legitimate, or equally illegitimate; but you can't have it both ways.
Your attempted comparison between eg Duffy/Scannell, or McClean/Bruce is facile, for the reasons I've outlined above - Jack 'The Lad' Grealish is a true comparison.

And all that's before we get to the fact that Bruce's connection with NI is Co.Down and Scannell's is with Co.Armagh...

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 6:14pm
@ Territorial "Scannell hasn't represented ROI for a decade"

Wrong....

He played for our under 21's in 2012 Thumbs Up

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Feb 2018 at 6:16pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic