You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sean Maguire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sean Maguire
    Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 9:48am
17 International Caps
16 International Goals
COYFIG
Sponsored Links

fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 11:57am
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 12:52pm
Waterford fans loved him last season, a little raw yet but could be anything in the Shane Long mould of a player.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 7:34pm
Small (despite being reported @ 5'9 in some reports today) slight fella with excellent close control, 2 good feet, good finisher (but could improve on this aspect), very fast, especially over short distances, has a burst of acceleration that can take him past defenders (in the plural, he rarely stops at beating one defender), and surprisingly very difficult to get the ball off him for a fella that size, he has a low centre of gravity, kind of crouches over the ball when he recieves it, to the point where it looks like he will fall over, (looks a bit odd, but seems to be very effective) then one quick turn and he is gone.

Very good awareness of players around him as well, he can spot a defence splitting pass as well as a goal chance when on his best form. Again, for a fella his size, he will challenge for every ball in the air regardless of the size of defender he is up against, doesn't shirk aerial challenges. 

Where he could (and should with proper coaching) improve is his decision making, he is sometimes guilty of taking too much out of the ball, or taking on one too many defenders, and losing the ball, but I think you can expect that of any young attacking player to an extent. 

I am convinced the lad will make a living out of the game, bit too early to say whether that will be at EPL level, but he has all the raw ingredients there. John W mentioned Shane Long as a comparison, have to say I don't think they are a similar player at all, he more reminds me of the early Wolves/Coventry version of Robbie Keane (not quite that good though). Best of luck to him anyway. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Small (despite being reported @ 5'9 in some reports today) slight fella with excellent close control, 2 good feet, good finisher (but could improve on this aspect), very fast, especially over short distances, has a burst of acceleration that can take him past defenders (in the plural, he rarely stops at beating one defender), and surprisingly very difficult to get the ball off him for a fella that size, he has a low centre of gravity, kind of crouches over the ball when he recieves it, to the point where it looks like he will fall over, (looks a bit odd, but seems to be very effective) then one quick turn and he is gone.

Very good awareness of players around him as well, he can spot a defence splitting pass as well as a goal chance when on his best form. Again, for a fella his size, he will challenge for every ball in the air regardless of the size of defender he is up against, doesn't shirk aerial challenges. 

Where he could (and should with proper coaching) improve is his decision making, he is sometimes guilty of taking too much out of the ball, or taking on one too many defenders, and losing the ball, but I think you can expect that of any young attacking player to an extent. 

I am convinced the lad will make a living out of the game, bit too early to say whether that will be at EPL level, but he has all the raw ingredients there. John W mentioned Shane Long as a comparison, have to say I don't think they are a similar player at all, he more reminds me of the early Wolves/Coventry version of Robbie Keane (not quite that good though). Best of luck to him anyway. 

do yis get any money for him?
cup champions
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 9:12pm
There has been a figure of 50k mentioned - he is out of contract, I have no idea of the rules covering these circumstances, so I couldn't even tell ya whether that is true. Even if it is true, the whole lot will presumably go toward paying off Hendo after his court case victory. 

daffyp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 12:40am
Get him called up Trap!!!
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 8:10am

John W mentioned Shane Long as a comparison, have to say I don't think they are a similar player at all, he more reminds me of the early Wolves/Coventry version of Robbie Keane (not quite that good though). Best of luck to him anyway. 
You've seen him more than me I was going on his perfomance v Limerick in the RSC, gave an exhibition of hold up play and running the channels reminded me of long. Although I do agree I think he will make a comfortable living from the game,
decky_eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decky_eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by daffyp daffyp wrote:

Get him called up Trap!!!

yeah I heard that we get 50k, but us and his original club in KK get a percentage of any further sell on fees etc because hes still relatively v young
I am no miracle worker....... I am just Giovanni

Johnner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 3:22pm
Best of luck to the kid. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by John W John W wrote:

John W mentioned Shane Long as a comparison, have to say I don't think they are a similar player at all, he more reminds me of the early Wolves/Coventry version of Robbie Keane (not quite that good though). Best of luck to him anyway.

You've seen him more than me I was going on his perfomance v Limerick in the RSC, gave an exhibition of hold up play and running the channels reminded me of long. Although I do agree I think he will make a comfortable living from the game,

Ya, I see what you mean, he can hold the ball up surprisingly well for a fella of his build, and can do a good job drifting wide as well, in that regard he is a bit like Long. But Long is, and probably will remain, (unless Seanie does some serious bulking up) a far more physical player, one capable of physically bullying defenders on his day, I don't think that is the type of player Maguire will turn out to be as his career develops.  Got allocated squad No 24 at WHU (but they also bought that awful donkey Chamakh today as well), be interesting to see how he gets on. 

Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 11:00pm
All the best to him just hope he didnt go over too early, maybe another season in the LOI could have been better for him!!
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

shane long View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 12:27am
young mcguire is from kilkenny seen him with evergreen a few times,  by all accounts was excellent with waterford last season, great move for him, as lads said he is very strong for his height.
stokes78 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by shane long shane long wrote:

young mcguire is from kilkenny seen him with evergreen a few times,  by all accounts was excellent with waterford last season, great move for him, as lads said he is very strong for his height.

Good stuff. Wasnt drennan at villa who is also under 19 also at evergreen?That must have been a fair strike force underage!
shane long View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shane long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 5:48pm
ye drennan was with evergreen also. drennan was a great underage hurler as well. scored something like 2 7 in a feile final!
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 10:53pm
Saw Seani play for Waterford a few times over the last couple of years,
My cousin plays for Waterford United. He will go far in the game, West Ham is a perfect place to start his career. Sam Allyrdyce is not afraid to give young lads a chance to prove themselves so hopefully Seani can fill out a bit & try & push into the first team next season. He's still very slight for his age, yes he is deceptively strong but against decent centre halves he would get destroyed if he was chucked in currently. If he fills out by June or July I'd expect him to feature pre-season for West Ham. Good luck to the lad, he has the ability to go far however a large amount of luck is needed when players venture across the water. Fair play to him, I hope everything works out for him.
Fireball07 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 2:23am
Hope Maguire does well over in England, very very talented player. Ripped Limerick to shreds a few times last season...I would say he was the most naturally gifted player in the first division last season.

Very hard to know whether that's good enough to make it at the top level in England, as it's a huge step up. But he certainly has plenty of natural ability. He is very small and slight though...he'd have to rely purely on speed, agility and skill.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 9:21pm
Called up for Ireland U 19s, after Paul Doolin said he is doing very well with the West Ham U 21s since he signed for them. Which is great, except for the fact Seanie hasn't kicked a ball in anger for them yet, both games he was due to play in since he signed have been called off due to weather conditions. If Trap said something like this..........................

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic