You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Séamus Coleman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 230>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 12:44pm
                    Randolph
      Coleman Long Duffy Stevens
Doherty Arter Browne McCarthy O'Dowda
                       Long

James McCarthy needs to build up match fitness and could probably cope against Gibraltar for sixty mins, so maybe he'll start.

If he can come through that game then I'd be tempted to start him vs Georgia but I genuinely do worry about that game. If not then replace him with Shaun Williams.

Our midfield is absolutely rotten, the more you look at our options in the middle the more it becomes obvious that it will take a miracle to qualify from this group.

We don't have one midfielder who will take control of a game, even at home to Georgia who will probably have at least 55% possession again - and not because our manager is negative or old fashioned but because their midfielders are better than ours.

Our only strengths are out wide so maybe we'll over load teams on the flanks and let the likes of McCarthy, Arter, Williams to sit back and allow our decent full-backs and wingers to fling balls into the box.

That is genuinely the only tactic I can see even remotely working for us until a half decent midfielder emerges.
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:17pm
we moan about the lack of quality players we have and in doherty we have probably the best right/wing player in the premier league. i think we have to fit him in somehow. some varition of the teams given in the previous post where he plays on the right of our midfield. Esp for the first two games and then asses come the bigger tests. I know its not exactly the role he plays for wolves but the form he is in how can you not include him. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:44pm
Pretty sure Mick said it would be one or the other. Interesting to see how he plays this one.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:45pm
be a throwback to the days of Derry Dinosaur if Young Docerty doesnt start
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:16pm
Not a chance Doherty won't be starting.
Can see Coleman slipping in on the right side of a back 3 with Doherty at RWB.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:20pm
Unfortunately I can’t see Mick starting with Doherty barring an injury to Coleman. Reckon he will play O’Dowda on the right with McClean on the left Dead
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Not a chance Doherty won't be starting.
Can see Coleman slipping in on the right side of a back 3 with Doherty at RWB.
Mick specifically ruled this out last week. Suggested he could play the pair the other way around, which would be odd.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:33pm
there’s no way on earth he won’t start both. I didn’t agree with his take that Coleman can’t play as the right sided centre back or Doherty further forward.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Unfortunately I can’t see Mick starting with Doherty barring an injury to Coleman. Reckon he will play O’Dowda on the right with McClean on the left Dead

Against Gibraltar and Georgia, Doherty on right wing, O'Dowda on left will work. Denmark and Switzerland decisions may have to be made...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:11pm
One good game and suddenly coleman is undroppable again.  Young Doherty has been playing well all season.  Mick needs to tell Coleman he needs to prove himself.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:19pm
Mick is an old school centre half. No chance he’ll pick Coleman in a back three. He said so himself
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:49pm
No reason why Coleman and Dockerty can't be the two full backs in a back four.  Seamie was terrific yesterday which was great to see after a very dodgy spell.  But Doc is the form player without doubt. Play em both.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

One good game and suddenly coleman is undroppable again.  Young Doherty has been playing well all season.  Mick needs to tell Coleman he needs to prove himself.
Fair enough with Doherty against Gibraltar and Georgia if he is told to attack from full back.
But against the top sides Colemans defensive ability and experience will be key.
So if it's a case of coleman or Doherty I think it will be coleman.

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:01pm
i love coleman, hes been a great servant for Ireland and is a great captain. but it would be absurd beyond belief if Doherty is somehow left out of the XI given the form Doherty is in ! if he is dead set on only playing one of the two, it has to be doherty
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Mick is an old school centre half. No chance he’ll pick Coleman in a back three. He said so himself
He picked Roy Keane in a back three.

Also played a 19yo Ian Harte in the centre of a back three.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Fair point. McCarthy did come out and say he’d rather Doherty in a back three than Coleman
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 2:35pm

Fair point. McCarthy did come out and say he’d rather Doherty in a back three than Coleman
I can't see him playing anything but a back four which, given our midfield, will become a back ten against anybody decent! 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I can't see him playing anything but a back four which, given our midfield, will become a back ten against anybody decent! 

Ye I'd agree. He seemed to indicate as much on his interview with OTB last week. Doesn't seem keen on 3-5-2, which I kind of agree due to the lack of pace in our back line (centrally).
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 230>
  Share Topic