You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scottish Independence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 145>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scottish Independence.
    Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:14am
AKA pedantic kunt
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:32am
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:56am
very good argument alright , but if FIFA abolished the scottish team , now that would lead immediately to independence.

Edited by RogerMilla - 22 Aug 2012 at 10:57am
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

very good argument alright , but if FIFA abolished the scottish team , now that would lead immediately to independence.
IF Scotland were to make it to Brazil, a few months before the referendum, it would do the yes campaign the power of good.
magnumpi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnumpi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:23am
Having spoken to a good few Scots on the issue, I don't think there is much chance of this, which is a massive shame.

A great country that deserves to rule itself.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:33am
i honestly do not think they will vote for it either.. although i believe they should
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:54am
the economics will dictate this. Independence would weaken Britain as a financial power and it could actually be a bad thing as the British in general are wary of Europe particularly german and france so it might weaken Britains muscle in dealing with germany and france.id understand if they dont go for it. whatever about nationalistic tendencies, you have to take into account the bigger picture

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Aug 2012 at 11:56am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:57am
Historical a thrid vote yes a thrid no and a thrid obstain..here's hoping tho!!
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

the economics will dictate this. Independence would weaken Britain as a financial power and it could actually be a bad thing as the British in general are wary of Europe particularly german and france so it might weaken Britains muscle in dealing with germany and france.id understand if they dont go for it. whatever about nationalistic tendencies, you have to take into account the bigger picture
So Scotland should stay in the Union to keep London strong in Europe? Sure we should rejoin too then.

Unfortunately I agree with Milla. It won't happen this time. Support for independence was much higher prior to devolution.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:58am

As i can't really be bothered looking, anyone able to explain in laymans terms what would happen to Scotlands oil and gas resources in the event of independance?

I'd see that as the key factor

@AntrimMan85
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:00pm
What do you mean AM?
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:06pm
Don't think anyone knows for sure, these things are open to protracted legal processes and could take years to resolve, imo opinion probably end up a 60/40 split. Scotland export market of fine whiskys are worth a lot in income..problem is if the snp had a stable economic program you would imagine they would be droppping budget sheets from planes!!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:08pm
I think the legal advice is that the Independent Scottish State would get access to the oil and gas. 

Why do you think the likes of the Tories and Labour are campaiging for a no vote, its not for a love of Scotland is it.  Its for a love of access to the oil and gas. 

This is the same government which has stated it has no economic or strategic interest in the North, so its not as if they against the break up of the union. 

No matter what way you look at this from a Scottish perspective, Economic, Cultural, personal etc its a no brainer for the Scots not the vote yes to Indpendence. 

We had to fight for our indpendence and we did not get complete indpenendence, they have the opportunity to vote for it through the ballot box. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Don't think anyone knows for sure, these things are open to protracted legal processes and could take years to resolve, imo opinion probably end up a 60/40 split. Scotland export market of fine whiskys are worth a lot in income..problem is if the snp had a stable economic program you would imagine they would be droppping budget sheets from planes!!
Does anyone think that they would not be able to export whiskey in an indpendent Scotland. 

I think the SNP do not want to shoot too early, its going to be a long drawn out campaign. 

They know this year has been the Jubilee, Indpendence, and the wedding, so unionism and Britishness is at its zenith. 

2014 is the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn.   Its a long way away yet and I would not write it off.
AKA pedantic kunt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think the legal advice is that the Independent Scottish State would get access to the oil and gas. 

Why do you think the likes of the Tories and Labour are campaiging for a no vote, its not for a love of Scotland is it.  Its for a love of access to the oil and gas. 

This is the same government which has stated it has no economic or strategic interest in the North, so its not as if they against the break up of the union. 

No matter what way you look at this from a Scottish perspective, Economic, Cultural, personal etc its a no brainer for the Scots not the vote yes to Indpendence. 

We had to fight for our indpendence and we did not get complete indpenendence, they have the opportunity to vote for it through the ballot box. 

agree with all of that but there are loads of them who are pro-union and love this whole "britishness" thing , they wont hand up their passports easily

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:16pm
Lol nah I meant at the minute the revenue fron that would be more bankable that the oil...but I think your rite about the snp not shooting their load to early, as mentioned above about the qualification for Brazil I maintain if Scotland had have shown up at the wc in Argentina during the last independence campaign it might have pushed them over the edge.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Absolutely spot on. The oil would be legally Scotland's, of course it would. The question was so obvious I thought I was missing something. Everything you have said is spot on, unfortunately I can't see them getting over the line but I hope I am wrong. As milla said, many of them have bought into brand Britain, or teamGB as it is currently being  marketed.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

As i can't really be bothered looking, anyone able to explain in laymans terms what would happen to Scotlands oil and gas resources in the event of independance?

I'd see that as the key factor

Its answered below but was wondering if there were any other complaictions to this i.e, oil and gas fields being already sold off to the likes of BP, exploration rights already sold or something like that.

I don't have a scooby about that whole thing but imagine Westminster wouldn't be keen on letting that revenue stream go easily.
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 145>
  Share Topic