Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 90>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

A better finisher maybe, but Cox is actually quite a good all round footballer. From what I've seen of Hogan he has raw potential, but he'll need to improve on aspects of his game such as his first touch and link-up play if he wants to progress to the EPL.
Cox is at his level now. He is capable of flashes of brilliance, but has never been more than an English third tier striker and is back doing alright at that level. 
I agree on Hogan, but he is certainly a decent Championship striker and has the potential to improve. It is dependent on his fitness though.
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:20pm
Fit enough to take a place on the bench today v Norwich
The only way is up
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:09pm
i actually do rate him very highly...hes alot better than cox
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Some appalling attitudes on display here.

The only reason this lad hasn't declared before now is because after serious knee injuries he wanted to make sure he got himself right for the club. Screw that up then he screws his entire career up. He has bust his bollocks to get where he has. Only 4 years ago at the age of 21 was he playing non league football in Lancashire.

Anyone who says otherwise is talking through their hole and doing our latest player a major disservice. It's actually insulting.

The injuries are irrelevant. All had had to do a year ago was say he would love to play for Ireland. The complete silence from him at the time of the press speculation and public comments from MON would suggest he was very much in two minds about the subject. Cyrus Christie for example says he told O'Neill he wanted to play for him the moment he knew he was on his radar.

Why? Just to make you happy? Not every 2nd or 3rd generation Irish lad bleeds green like Kilbane. However I genuinely believe this guy wanted to play for us when the time was right. The two ACL injuries have clearly f**ked with his head.

As he said he just wanted to focus on getting his career up and running. To try and get a full season under his belt.

I'll repost this comment because he wasn't silent last year. This was said last September to a local paper after roughly 7 matches of the season...

“I know we don't go back on it but I have been out injured but it's important to be playing as many games for Brentford at the moment.

“International honours is a big thing but there's only one place I want to play my football at the minute and that is here.

“They look after me, monitor my fitness and everything. Due to that I've played every minute this season which is some going after what's happened.”

All of those quotes sound identical to what Jack Grealish was saying before he switched allegiance - "I just want to concentrate on club football / getting fit" etc, in other words hedging the bets. Could you imagine Hogan making comments like that if he knew he was on England's radar?
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm
Scott Hogan dismisses claims he was waiting for England:

Speaking to The Times, Hogan said: "When I first met Martin O’Neill I explained to him that I had had two years out with injuries and I said to him 'just let me get back playing, let me get a full season under my belt’. That is how it has panned out."

"Then we got in touch with him. There was no issue with me saying I am waiting for this or I am going to do this. It was always that case and the manager knew that and was fine with it."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0820/898689-scott-hogan-dismisses-claims-he-was-waiting-for-england/
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:06pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Speaking to The Times, Hogan said: "When I first met Martin O’Neill I explained to him that I had had two years out with injuries and I said to him 'just let me get back playing, let me get a full season under my belt’. That is how it has panned out."

"Then we got in touch with him. There was no issue with me saying I am waiting for this or I am going to do this. It was always that case and the manager knew that and was fine with it."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0820/898689-scott-hogan-dismisses-claims-he-was-waiting-for-england/

Will hopefully put an end to the sh*te being spouted on here.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Will hopefully put an end to the sh*te being spouted on here.

Pretty sure it won't, in fainress.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:18pm
Unless someone has a source proving otherwise will the critics please stop questioning his commitment, its getting on my and probably Scott's nerves.
Hi Lads
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:44pm
unbelievable...cuz he says he was commited thats it?..actually i will form my own opinion based on his lack of communication the fact that he was banging in the goals for his club and looking fit and sharp.. him never actuall  coming out and saying he is commited to Ireland and his timing..i mean he has had  injury problems since joining vill
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

unbelievable...cuz he says he was commited thats it?..actually i will form my own opinion based on his lack of communication the fact that he was banging in the goals for his club and looking fit and sharp.. him never actuall  coming out and saying he is commited to Ireland and his timing..i mean he has had  injury problems since joining vill

Agree. Hogan's lack of communication with ybig fusspots over the last couple of years was poor form.

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Aug 2017 at 8:59pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:06pm
O'Neill has played it very and deserves a lot of credit. Kilbane like ourselves is judging a situation from the outside looking in and it's looking like he was wrong in the end.

Being honest I thought it was very unlikely he'd declare but it's done so it can only be a good thing.

With Maguire looking sharp for Preston yesterday, our forward attacking threats (2 players under 25) things are looking a lot better over the next few years in our weakest area.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:43am
They always come out with this stuff once they've given in and resigned themself to a career in green instead of white. Its a case of preaching to the audience and I wouldn't take any of it at face value, he's nothing to gain by stating he was holding out for an england call-up so of course he wouldn't admit it but the whole I was just waiting for the right moment line of argument is simply not believable.
If he'd been planning to get involved with us this season all along then why exactly hadn't he even gone to the trouble of getting an Irish passport all this time we've been chasing him? Its not like the FAI doesn't employ people to expedite these things for feckless grannyrulers.
Hogan's hit a career rut this year and his prospects of an England call up are disappearing off the horizon so what do you know, suddenly he is embracing his irish heritage.......and still there's masses of ireland fans who stick their heads in the ground and refuse to see the obvious because its more comforting for them to swallow what's being shovelled at them Wacko
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 3:28am
Conan thank you for putting it better than myself..
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:52am
The fact is none of know Hogan personally so it's all speculation.
Does it really matter if he did think about playing for England?

Let's see his attitude when playing for Ireland, that's all that matters.

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

They always come out with this stuff once they've given in and resigned themself to a career in green instead of white. Its a case of preaching to the audience and I wouldn't take any of it at face value, he's nothing to gain by stating he was holding out for an england call-up so of course he wouldn't admit it but the whole I was just waiting for the right moment line of argument is simply not believable.
If he'd been planning to get involved with us this season all along then why exactly hadn't he even gone to the trouble of getting an Irish passport all this time we've been chasing him? Its not like the FAI doesn't employ people to expedite these things for feckless grannyrulers.
Hogan's hit a career rut this year and his prospects of an England call up are disappearing off the horizon so what do you know, suddenly he is embracing his irish heritage.......and still there's masses of ireland fans who stick their heads in the ground and refuse to see the obvious because its more comforting for them to swallow what's being shovelled at them Wacko

Very well said

The fact he is only now applying for an Irish Passport says it all.

Killer is 100% right, very hard to support a lad like this.
I know nothing :-)
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:17am
If he scores against Wales will people still be rambling on here about his passport?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:17am
It will be easy to support him if he is committed to the cause.
We will be able to see that through him turning up and putting in committed performances.

Our squad would have been be full of players through the years were England was their first choice but the opportunity never came and then the Ireland one did.

Hogan was similar only he had a mooted chance for England. Whether or not his reasons for not declaring before are 100% genuine, at the end of the day he has now declared and if he shows the same level as commitment that some of our other greats that chose Ireland as a second choice then that is really all need to accept and hopefully it pays dividends to all parties

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Aug 2017 at 9:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 90>
  Share Topic