You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 90>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:53am
I dont think he's very good, but tbf he did ok vs Scotland and he's scoring goals in the Championship, so he probably deserves a spot on merit. At 30 he aint the future though and I dont see him getting regular minutes for us in the next campaign unless we are seriously hampered by injuries.

If you were only allowed 4 spots, would you call him up ahead of any of Obafemi, Parrott, Ogbene or Robinson - I wouldnt and that's despite Obafemi's club situation and Parrott's poor form. Anyway I think Kenny will likely name 5 or 6 attackers in the squad, so it's all kind of moot, he'll be included.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:25am
Obafemi, Parrott, Robinson and Ogbene will all definitely be there, and deservedly so. Ogbene has had a great start to the season, Robinson has started well for Cardiff, Obafemi began the season pretty well despite falling out of the favour in the last couple of weeks, and Parrott's performances for Preston have been generally good even if he hasn't scored in the league yet. It's between Keane and Hogan for the last spot, he may well select both but there's also the possibility one might be left out to accomodate a return for O'Dowda/Brady.
We're decent enough..
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:03am
This has been one of the problems with Kenny he was happy to stick with what he thought was his best squad.

There should be room in all our squads for a couple of inform players.

We are no world beaters and if anything it serves to keep the rest on their toes!!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:15am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

https://youtu.be/8GayTqYPZAk

That is a really top class hatrick of goals. Looks to be very sharp, deffo our form striker at the moment. 

Credit where credit is due - that's a fantastic hatrick.
It's frustrating when a player is streaky like he is but none of our other strikers have come close to matching that performance this season.

Will be in the squad for sure and should be, with the four younger lads.
Leave Collins out...down in L1 and going nowhere.

Edited by Fozz - 15 Sep 2022 at 10:15am
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

That is a really top class hatrick of goals. Looks to be very sharp, deffo our form striker at the moment. 

It's frustrating when a player is streaky like he is but none of our other strikers have come close to matching that performance this season.

Collins is nowhere near the conversation, he is brutal.

Anthony Scully should be well ahead of him already.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Agreed re Collins, wrong side of 30 now, back down in L1 which is his level. If there's only 5 spots, it's a shoot out between Hogan and Keane and given Hogan's hat trick and the fact he was preferred previously vs the Scots, he is in the box seat. Fwiw if Idah was fit, neither Hogan or Keane would make my 5.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:47am
Sorry yeah, I meant Hogan ahead of Keane, not Collins Embarrassed
Be surprised if we ever saw Collins in an Ireland squad again.
Good luck to him.

sean4393 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:28am
He has been very good for us since signing his goals tally doesn't reflect his work rate and what he brings to the side but unfortunately as a striker they are the numbers that matter.

Fantastic hattrick last night and I think he would be doing it more regular basis in a more settled side both on and off the pitch. 

Don't see any reason why he wont earn a call up again for the latest round of internationals. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:33am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Agreed re Collins, wrong side of 30 now, back down in L1 which is his level. If there's only 5 spots, it's a shoot out between Hogan and Keane and given Hogan's hat trick and the fact he was preferred previously vs the Scots, he is in the box seat. Fwiw if Idah was fit, neither Hogan or Keane would make my 5.
Here's former SK assistant John Eustace's take on Hogan who wouldn't make your five. 

Edited by Mr Brick - 16 Sep 2022 at 5:38am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Here's former SK assistant John Eustace's take on Hogan who wouldn't make your five. 

Tbf, that's his manager speaking, what else is he going to say? Hogan is 30 now and has had numerous chances in the green. He has always had goalscoring spells in what has been a patchy career. I dont think he's terrible, but I'd prefer to give younger lads a chance. I stand by what I say I would have a fit Idah in the squad ahead of him, I dont think that's particularly controversial. It's an opinion that's all. If Hogan keeps banging them in, then he'll keep his place in the squad. We shall see.
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm

Tbf, that's his manager speaking, what else is he going to say? Hogan is 30 now and has had numerous chances in the green. He has always had goalscoring spells in what has been a patchy career. I dont think he's terrible, but I'd prefer to give younger lads a chance. I stand by what I say I would have a fit Idah in the squad ahead of him, I dont think that's particularly controversial. It's an opinion that's all. If Hogan keeps banging them in, then he'll keep his place in the squad. We shall see.
Hogan is no Haarland but he's bang in form, hit a weekend hat-trick, has 124 mostly Championship career goals and Birmingham manager Eustace, our former asst manager, labels him best current striker in that division. 

Idah has 4 career goals. Yet, if fit, you'd currently have him ahead of Hogan. In fact, Hogan will have to "keep banging them in" just to claim a squad place alongside those who, apart from Ogbene, aren't banging anything. That is pristine nonsense. 

By the way, Hogan, who you dismiss as having had "numerous" chances for Ireland, has 11 caps. Idah has 13. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm

Hogan is no Haarland but he's bang in form, hit a weekend hat-trick, has 124 mostly Championship career goals and Birmingham manager Eustace, our former asst manager, labels him best current striker in that division. 

Idah has 4 career goals. Yet, if fit, you'd currently have him ahead of Hogan. In fact, Hogan will have to "keep banging them in" just to claim a squad place alongside those who, apart from Ogbene, aren't banging anything. That is pristine nonsense. 

By the way, Hogan, who you dismiss as having had "numerous" chances for Ireland, has 11 caps. Idah has 13. 

I'm clear on your opinion and I respectfully disagree. 

Hogan has been a Championship striker for 8 seasons now. He has manged to play 20 games plus in 4 of those 8 seasons. He scored  15 in 38 back in 2016/17 as a 24/25 year old,  which was an impressive showing. Since then he has managed 6 in 37 in 17/18, 2 in 14 in 18/19, 10 in 30 in 19/20, 7 in 33 in 20/21 and 10 in 36 in 21/22. These are reasonable figures, and he has an impressive 5 in 9 this season following his hat trick, but to suggest that he is suddenly the best striker in that division is a serious stretch. He's a decent Championship striker and is currently showing a bit of form. I'd personally prefer to invest in the potential of a young lad like Idah, rather than Hogan, but as I said previously that's my opinion.

And by the way he has a total of 62 championship goals in 203 Championship appearances spread across 8 seasons. I wouldnt be dying in a ditch over him. He's in the current squad on merit, he played well vs Scotland and was unlucky not to net his first international goal in that game. If he keeps scoring goals at the rate he currently is, then he'll hit 20+ this season. If he does that, he'll keep his place in the squad. I still think he's pretty limited, regardless of his manager's view, but we dont have a myriad of options atm.
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:28pm
I seen his goals from the other night and they were well taken. He looks like he has his confidence back. He looks fitter and he made a great burst of speed to get up for that 2nd goal. Was he always that fast?!! Anyway our lack of goals lately means on those 3 alone he warrants selection. Id nearly contemplate starting him and Parrott together. If hes in form then we aint got the players to be picky. 
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I seen his goals from the other night and they were well taken. He looks like he has his confidence back. He looks fitter and he made a great burst of speed to get up for that 2nd goal. Was he always that fast?!! Anyway our lack of goals lately means on those 3 alone he warrants selection. Id nearly contemplate starting him and Parrott together. If hes in form then we aint got the players to be picky. 

Whatever about Hogan, surely Ogbene has to be ahead of Parrott in the pecking order currently.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:39pm

Yeah, he was regarded as extremely fast before his unfortunate run of injuries anyway. I thought he had looked a little less rapid over the last couple of years but perhaps he's built up his fitness and recovered a yard.
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:47pm

Whatever about Hogan, surely Ogbene has to be ahead of Parrott in the pecking order currently.

Different types of forward players. Replace Robinson with Ogbene and you'd have a point. Ogbene and Hogan will likely be competing for one spot along with Obafemi to partner someone like Robinson or Parrott in a front two.
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Yeah, he was regarded as extremely fast before his unfortunate run of injuries anyway. I thought he had looked a little less rapid over the last couple of years but perhaps he's built up his fitness and recovered a yard.

I know its not gospel, but Fifa a few years ago had his sprint speed at 93/100, i remember playing him and maguire up front both had 93 speed LOL
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:22pm
His forte is running in behind defenders and poaching close range goals. He has always put in a shift even when not playing particularly well and that Birmingham team is ordinary at best. He had his big chance at Aston Villa but didn’t take it despite having Dean Smith there who managed him at Brentford, where he attracted PL interest from West Ham and others. He was even tipped for an England cap at one stage before injuries and dips in form persuaded him that he was Irish. Not knocking the lad, you’d have to have him in the squad on current form.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 90>
  Share Topic