You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 90>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
Crowley did play for Ireland at under 17 level, but it was only a friendly. You'd  hope he had a passport at that stage
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

IrishKeano View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishKeano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Crowley did play for Ireland at under 17 level, but it was only a friendly. You'd  hope he had a passport at that stage

It's one of the things that legitimately irritates me about the lad,"I cried when Ireland got knocked out of the world cup on penalties" yet when he plays for us ONCE,he says f*** that and heads back to England,then when it's pretty clear he's never getting near England,signs for Willem and immediately starts again with "I never owned an England shirt when I was growing up " Pretty sure you owned the jerseys you played in for them LOLLOL

Don't get me wrong,I think he's a bit of a player and I don't hate him or anything,decent get for us if he can declare, just all the crap talk because believe me, he wasn't declaring at ArsenalLOLLOL
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 5:14pm
About time this was cleared up , the FAI and the lad himself have been silent on the subject. England are unlikely to come calling but he is potentially an asset for us. Perhaps the huge demand for Irish passports in the UK as a consequence of Brexit will help increase our future player pools.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:02pm
So what's the story. Is Hogan back to being sh!te again?

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:19pm
The story is that he's doing exactly what he's always done. Has a purple patch for 4/5 games; then goes missing for 5/6 games; then another purple patch etc etc. He's the very definition of a "form player".
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:36pm
I think you're being a bit generous to Scott there. He had an extended purple patch at Brentford (which is what garnered him all the attention). Through poor form/injury he flattered to deceive once he left Brentford. And then he had a purple patch from the new year to Covid with Birmingham.

That's pretty much the only purple patches I can see that he's had. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I think you're being a bit generous to Scott there. He had an extended purple patch at Brentford (which is what garnered him all the attention). Through poor form/injury he flattered to deceive once he left Brentford. And then he had a purple patch from the new year to Covid with Birmingham.

My thoughts exactly. Had Covid not happened then there might have been an extended purple patch but it still quite poor. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 3:47pm

Look at his record for Brentford and Rochdale, it's exactly the same pattern. He would have a few matches where he would score braces or hattricks, and then he'd go 5 games without scoring. It's one of the reasons I questioned why West Ham were so interested in him at the time, because although he was nominally averaging a goal every other game, that wasn't really the reality of it. What was actually happening was that he'd score 6-7 goal over 3-4 games, and then he'd go on a barren run. So although he looked like a consistent goalscorer based on the way the numbers averaged out, in actuality he was a "streak" goalscorer. It's been similar throughout his career imo. The trick with Hogan will be to only pick him when he's in the middle of one of those streaks, otherwise you're wasting your time.

Edited by The O'Shea - 12 Jul 2020 at 3:49pm
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 4:35pm
That's about right. If he's not scoring goals, he's not doing heavy lifting either, unlike say McGoldrick or Long. He does make good runs, he's quick and a good finisher on his day but the West Ham move never happened because Bilic had doubts as to whether he was worth the silly money being mooted at the time. So he was destined not to become the next Jamie Vardy, making the Premiership late from the lower leagues, or in contention for England. He was one of those who wanted to ' concentrate on his club career ' for quite some time before committing to Ireland. Aston Villa was probably his last big chance for the Premiership but Dean Smith, who got the best out of him at Brentford, gave up on him there. He's still a goal scorer, still capable of doing it in the Championship and still an option for Ireland for the time being, but I can't see him hitting any further heights now. I see Birmingham are now very much in a relegation struggle also.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:53pm
Remember when we thought this guy would declare for England 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Look at his record for Brentford and Rochdale, it's exactly the same pattern. He would have a few matches where he would score braces or hattricks, and then he'd go 5 games without scoring. It's one of the reasons I questioned why West Ham were so interested in him at the time, because although he was nominally averaging a goal every other game, that wasn't really the reality of it. What was actually happening was that he'd score 6-7 goal over 3-4 games, and then he'd go on a barren run. So although he looked like a consistent goalscorer based on the way the numbers averaged out, in actuality he was a "streak" goalscorer. It's been similar throughout his career imo. The trick with Hogan will be to only pick him when he's in the middle of one of those streaks, otherwise you're wasting your time.

So, by your calculations (7 goals in 3-4 games then scoreless for 5 or 6) - and allowing for six out-injured games - Hogan would score 24-27 goals per Championship season. Even if dropped for a few games - unlikely within your scenario - he would still be a 20-plus goals a season striker. If any of our young likely-lads did likewise you'd be choking on your own superlatives. 

At his best, Hogan is a 20+ goals a season Championship striker. He has hardly been a regular this season and he's still managed 9. I know you have a h*rd on for me, but I still find it hilarious (and very sad) that you felt the need to break the calculator out on what are clearly career-length approximations LOL

If a young striker did that, it would indeed be very impressive. If they continued to do it into their peak years as Hogan has, it would still be impressive, however it would also be highly lamentable that they hadn't developed into a more even goalscoring pattern. That is the only issue anyone has with it.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:45am
Hogan's scoring rate is about 1 in 5 overall since he joined Villa. He has the odd month where he's scoring every game and then will go right back to famine times again. Given his overall contribution is so scant that doesn't justify picking him ahead of the younger talents we have coming through, albeit still as back up to McGoldrick and Long for the next year most likely.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
He's one of our top goalscorers this season and he's been in and out of the team.

At the moment I see him as an impact sub.

I'd start mcgoldrick and Long (I know there are not many goals here) they are really great at build up play and holding up the ball. Both are good in the air for set pieces and hopefully just the occasional long ball.

Mcgoldrick has that little bit of trickery that keeps him in a very good Sheffield team and Long still has that pace to burn. Both are always looking for the ball and don't hide during games. Could be interesting 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:14pm
Missed a penalty against Birmingham. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm

Missed a penalty against Birmingham. 

His own team?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:16pm
For Birmingham obviously
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:39pm
He's a Villa player really.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:21am
This says it all really, taken from the Birmingham City Twitter page.

35 - Hogan's penalty is saved, the ball comes back out to the Blues striker but he hits it over the bar.  

🔵 0-0 🔴
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 90>
  Share Topic