You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 90>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Anytime he’s played for us he’s been awful. Remember the sitter he missed form about a yard out. I think it was against New Zealand. Even though he’s banging them in I wouldn’t like to see him on the pitch unless it was a last roll of the dice

If we were only to pick players on the basis that they've played well for ireland then we wouldn't be able to put out a team.

I've never been convinced by Hogan but he looks like scoring in every game for Birmingham 
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 8:36pm

Anytime he’s played for us he’s been awful. Remember the sitter he missed form about a yard out. I think it was against New Zealand. Even though he’s banging them in I wouldn’t like to see him on the pitch unless it was a last roll of the dice

As it's been said on here, Hogan is more of a poacher and seems to thrive when he has another forward up alongside him.

Aside from the sitter against New Zealand, you look at our strikers goal scoring records over the last number of years. They have to feed off scraps game in game out, minimal support and poor quality service when they get it.

Players like Shane Long who are physical and pacey enough to battle and scrap do well for Ireland, the more skilful and technical players tend to struggle due to some of the factors named above.

I would like to see Hogan start up alongside Long or McGoldrick (to a lesser extent) in a friendly or a Nations League game and see how he gets on.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

As it's been said on here, Hogan is more of a poacher and seems to thrive when he has another forward up alongside him.

Aside from the sitter against New Zealand, you look at our strikers goal scoring records over the last number of years. They have to feed off scraps game in game out, minimal support and poor quality service when they get it.

Players like Shane Long who are physical and pacey enough to battle and scrap do well for Ireland, the more skilful and technical players tend to struggle due to some of the factors named above.

I would like to see Hogan start up alongside Long or McGoldrick (to a lesser extent) in a friendly or a Nations League game and see how he gets on.

Most likely at some stage in first or hopefully and second game we will be in death of a goal and will have 2 stickers on the field together and in his current form he should be one of them 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Strikers live off confidence and Hogan is way ahead of any of our strikers at the moment.
Is he confident representing his country? 
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:48pm

That would be lunacy. He is on form, we having been crying out for a striker who is is good goalscoring form. We have one now, play him when he is on form. Who else is gonna get the goals, we've been pathetic when it comes to scoring goals. Why wait for him to score in a meaningless friendly against sh*t opposition? Who else is going to get a goal for us, Shane Long who is in decent form too but hasn't scored for us since 2016?  Sean Maguire? James Collins.....remember him scoring in a meaningless friendly and what did it prove? Nothing. He has done f**k all since. McGoldrick, one goal this season and warming the bench at Sheffield United lately. I'd go for Hogan and Long but cant see us playing 2 strikers.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

That would be lunacy. He is on form, we having been crying out for a striker who is is good goalscoring form. We have one now, play him when he is on form. Who else is gonna get the goals, we've been pathetic when it comes to scoring goals. Why wait for him to score in a meaningless friendly against sh*t opposition? Who else is going to get a goal for us, Shane Long who is in decent form too but hasn't scored for us since 2016?  Sean Maguire? James Collins.....remember him scoring in a meaningless friendly and what did it prove? Nothing. He has done f**k all since. McGoldrick, one goal this season and warming the bench at Sheffield United lately. I'd go for Hogan and Long but cant see us playing 2 strikers.

Let's be realistic is there any chance Scott Hogan will start against Slovakia in your eyes?
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:06pm

Let's be realistic is there any chance Scott Hogan will start against Slovakia in your eyes?

No chance he’ll start....he’ll definitely get a run from the bench though...although long could be sitting on it beside him.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:20pm
For sure Juicebomb, fans need to separate "dreams" from reality, Scott Hogan has zero chance of starting against Slovakia barring an injury crisis. 

Irish international managers have a history of not factoring in a players club form and will go with the tried and tested who "don't let them down" (firmly tongue in cheek) in an Ireland shirt.

The sign of a good manager is adapting to the players at his disposal and trying to accommodate form players, not forcing players to adapt to his way or you simply won't be playing.

McGoldrick would start for me on the basis of his impact at Sheffield United and for us (despite a poor goal scoring ratio) and so what if Scott Hogan could potentially force our manager to play two up top, would be absolutely nothing wrong with that. It won't happen but its depressing to know before a ball is kicked that despite numerous underwhelming performances this campaign, the team is still somehow picking itself........

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:46pm

For sure Juicebomb, fans need to separate "dreams" from reality, Scott Hogan has zero chance of starting against Slovakia barring an injury crisis. 

Irish international managers have a history of not factoring in a players club form and will go with the tried and tested who "don't let them down" (firmly tongue in cheek) in an Ireland shirt.

The sign of a good manager is adapting to the players at his disposal and trying to accommodate form players, not forcing players to adapt to his way or you simply won't be playing.

McGoldrick would start for me on the basis of his impact at Sheffield United and for us (despite a poor goal scoring ratio) and so what if Scott Hogan could potentially force our manager to play two up top, would be absolutely nothing wrong with that. It won't happen but its depressing to know before a ball is kicked that despite numerous underwhelming performances this campaign, the team is still somehow picking itself........

Has the team not picked itself for nearly the last 20 years...hogan seems to be a poacher,were not set up to get the best from that type of player(unless we go long to Duffy and hogan gets the knock downs)..I’d still rather see long and mc goldrick start up top and if we had to chase it late on throw hogan on for a sitting midfielder and go with 3 up top...but that’s dreamland stuff.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 6:23am
There's no point in having an on form striker if you have a midfield who can get the ball to him.

Hogan is only ever getting a run out as a sub.

Whatever way we look at it if it's a one-on-one with the goalkeeper I'd much rather a Hogan of now than a Hogan of 6 months ago.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:13am
Hogan will start up front with McGoldrick playing slightly deeper , Shane Long on bench and will come on when time is right . Mick rated Hogan even when he was going through a prolonged bad spell . He's now back to his Brentford form when Premiership clubs were sniffing and he was being touted for England , and hence slow to commit for us . Birmingham have worked out how to get the best out of him . Talking of plastics , anyone got an update on the Dan Crowley situation ?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 11:07am
Surely the crowley situation is the same as the Johansson situation? So he doesnt qualify 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

James Collins has scored 11 Championship goals this term, two more than Hogan. Is that f**k all? 

He did nothing for us in the competitive games after scoring in friendly, My point is play him while he is banging the goals rather than wait for a match of less significance to see what he can do because club form is better indication than a meaningless  friendly. Hogan10 goals have come in 11 starts and 10 sub apps. 7 in his last 8. Collins has 11 league gls in 37 games. Collins started the season well and deserved opportunity but most his goals came in first 3 months of the season
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 12:32pm

James Collins has scored 11 Championship goals this term, two more than Hogan. Is that f**k all? 

He did nothing for us in the competitive games after scoring in friendly, My point is play him while he is banging the goals rather than wait for a match of less significance to see what he can do because club form is better indication than a meaningless  friendly. Hogan10 goals have come in 11 starts and 10 sub apps. 7 in his last 8. Collins has 11 league gls in 37 games. Collins started the season well and deserved opportunity but most his goals came in first 3 months of the season

Fair enough, Paddy - you obviously rate Hogan. Good on him for his recent form burst. I rate neither Hogan nor Collins beyond the bench at international level. I'd prefer Long with McGoldrick. Depite their lack of goals this season I believe either is more likely to deliver at the higher level. It could also be their swan song in green, depending on Stephen Kenny's direction.

I dont rate any of our strikers highly. But I think over last 6 weeks Long and Hogan have been our inform strikers and they should play. We dont have a talisman to rely on. Same with Doherty over Coleman. We cant afford to leave our in form players on the bench. Our squad isn't strong enough for that
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Surely the crowley situation is the same as the Johansson situation? So he doesnt qualify 
Was the Johannnsen situation ever actually decided? 
I didn't think it was but that he got fed up after waiting a year that he declared for Sweden as its straightforward. 
Can't say I recall UEFA ever putting out a formal statement on it. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Was the Johannnsen situation ever actually decided? 
I didn't think it was but that he got fed up after waiting a year that he declared for Sweden as its straightforward. 
Can't say I recall UEFA ever putting out a formal statement on it. 

My understanding Fozz is that lawyers were told that the decision would not be overturned so the appeal was rejected, therefore ryan has opted for Sweden instead.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:43pm
Ah OK. 
So you'd think that would put to bed the Crowley situation too. 
Cheers for that info. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:48pm
That's on the assumption that 1. Crowley didn't already have Irish citizenship prior to playing with England; and 2. FIFA view the situations as identical. It's quite possible that they don't really care so long as no one objects (like Luxembourg did in Johansson's case).
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 90>
  Share Topic