You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland vs Poland - What result do you want?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: What outcome do you want?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [83.15%]
15 [16.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:58am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

We will lose to Germany and Scotland will beat Poland . Have to go to Warsaw to win ...

I think Poland will come away from Glasgow with at least a point. Scotland are mediocre and have been massively overrated by many on here who have been talking Strachan up as the second coming of Busby/Shankly/Stein. If we can grind out another draw against Germany we'll be heading to Warsaw with a playoff in the bag and maybe even a winner takes all shot at automatic qualification.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

We will lose to Germany and Scotland will beat Poland . Have to go to Warsaw to win ...

I think Poland will come away from Glasgow with at least a point. Scotland are mediocre and have been massively overrated by many on here who have been talking Strachan up as the second coming of Busby/Shankly/Stein. If we can grind out another draw against Germany we'll be heading to Warsaw with a playoff in the bag and maybe even a winner takes all shot at automatic qualification.

If we draw with Germany and Scotland draw with Poland we go into last game guaranteed a playoff with a victory giving us automatic qualification ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:22am
So if we match the Scotland result in the next game, we are guaranteed 3rd place playoff. Cant see us beating ze Germans and hoping for a draw, so a polish win is what we're after, but fancy the draw in that.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:27am
Originally posted by CoffeeBean CoffeeBean wrote:

Scotland will beat Poland in glasgow. They stood toe to toe with Germany tonight but the result didn't go their way, they gave Germany a hell of a game!!

Did nothing of the sort, had the game on the pooter while watching the Ireland game.....Germans played around them for 90mins in 2nd gear, Scots scored from an og and a corner other than that had nothing on goal.....The Poles have Lewandowski while the Jocks have Fletcher I know who my money is on .....the Poles stood toe to toe with Germany last Friday and I'm banking on them winning this one ....anyone hoping for any other result is just playing the lottery with Irelands hopes
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 10:54am
Wow.

I wish I had the confidence of those 6 individuals who reckon a draw is the best result! We have quite simply displayed nothing in our performances so far to suggest that we can beat Germany at home or Poland away.

In fact, I think we'll be doing seriously well to take just one point from those two fixtures. With that in mind, anything other than a Polish win in Glasgow would be a terrible result for us imo. Our real chance to qualify will be similar to 2012 - getting a handy draw in a play-off.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:10am
People bang on about Ireland not taking a big scalp since the Dutch in 2001 maybe the Germans are ripe for picking.Big smile

If we can play with that second half intensity from the off in with a chance.
Shane Long must start.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

People bang on about Ireland not taking a big scalp since the Dutch in 2001 maybe the Germans are ripe for picking.Big smile

If we can play with that second half intensity from the off in with a chance.
Shane Long must start.

100%

He might be one of the least clinical strikers going, but he causes the opposition all sorts of problems. If I was German I would be more than happy to see him not starting.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:52pm
  1. A Polish win puts Scotland OUT, but it also means we have little chance of second, unless we could also beat both Germany and Poland. 
  2. A draw is OK too, but it would still leave us needing one more point.
This game is shaping up to be the defining game in the group not just for Scotland and Poland but for us too. 
  • It's win or bust for Scotland, so they'll be throwing the kitchen sink at it if they are not winning come the final 20 minutes. Under no circumstance do we want a Scottish win, as this means we will have to beat either Germany or Poland.
  • If Poland win, we're guaranteed third.
  • If it's a draw, Poland are guaranteed at least third place. A draw against Germany or in Warsaw sees us third. A win in Warsaw sees us snatch second. No more points would leave us 4th.

Edited by Stoked Up - 08 Sep 2015 at 1:41pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:12pm
If we are playing Poland and a draw suits both teams, it will be a draw and I will be backing that result heavily.

It could be LIKE that infamous game in the World Cup where both teams played out an obvious draw agreed beforehand
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:26pm
WE NEED POLAND TO WIN OR DRAW FFS, I'd snap the hand off for a play off even now let alone before this weeks games!!

Edited by RKeane - 08 Sep 2015 at 1:27pm
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:36pm
Poland win. Unless we can grab a point v Germany, in that case a draw.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

If we are playing Poland and a draw suits both teams, it will be a draw and I will be backing that result heavily.

It could be LIKE that infamous game in the World Cup where both teams played out an obvious draw agreed beforehand

We could have a shot with nothing to lose if we are best
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 1:49pm
Scotland have to win next time out. They cannot think that four points will be enough to catch us. I mean, they will have a real fear that if they draw, even if we lose to Germany, there is a real risk of the cynical, mutually beneficial draw between ourselves and Poland (however likely or not that might be). There are other reasons too.

If they get six points from their next two games, they'll know we need three v Germany to keep it out of their hands (plus Poland not losing at home to us, of course): if we don't beat Germany, it's back in Scotland's hands. With a win over Poland, they only result they need is us not to beat Germany (say we draw, the table is Ger 20 / Pol 17 / Ire 16 / Sco 14, and 3 points for Scotland v Gibraltar is enough for them to finish third, come what may, given Scotland's superior head to head against both us and Poland, as one of us will finish on 17 or lower).

There's no denying the next game is massive for Scotland. A draw doesn't necessarily leave them out but a win leaves them relying on just one result (us not to win v Germany), not the two they need if they draw (us to get no more points at all). The difference, from their perspective, is absolutely massive. They'll know this and it makes me fear that they will be seriously up for the fight. They can't settle for a draw. Poland, on the other hand, will know they have a fall back if they do fail in Scotland (i.e. the home game v us), which could inspire complacency there. They can happily settle for the draw, knowing they need only one point at home to us, even if we somehow beat Germany, and so long as the draw is 2-2 or lower.

I'm seriously worried Scotland will win, in other words, given what is at stake for both teams, or at very least get a draw. There is so much more at stake for Scotland, whereas a draw for Poland is far from the end of the world, nor is a defeat. I mean, from Poland's perspective, there is little difference between a draw and a defeat in Scotland: in all likelihood, either leaves them needing just a single point at home to us to qualify automatically. While it does mean another defeat to us would see them eliminated entirely (as opposed to in the playoffs), it is clear the game in Warsaw is the bigger game for them. Obviously they know that a win will send them in, but they also know that a point at home to us will be enough too, and that's an easy fall back position.

Now, the question of the result we ought to want in that game is different: obviously in an ideal world, they draw, we draw, and we get a shot at Poland for free. However, they draw, we lose to Germany, and we have to win in Poland: not a pleasant prospect, albeit of course we have the chance of the beneficial draw.

I suppose it turns on this: if that game is a draw and we lose, do you reckon we would still have a chance at a mutually beneficial draw v Poland? Maybe: but likely not. Remember, Poland would well know that if we won, they would be in the playoff and I don't think they'd take the risk of playing out a friendly draw. I imagine they'd play for the win, albeit maybe ease off at 1-0 up, knowing it would take two goals to eliminate them.

This all leaves aside the downside of a Poland win of course: we basically cannot qualify automatically if that happens. Poland were not brilliant here, remember, and playing a dead rubber there, guaranteed a playoff but playing for nothing, would be a bit anti-climactic. While, of course, I would prefer to have a free crack at them (i.e. we both draw our next games), having a chance to win and qualify there, but only needing a draw for the playoffs, would not be the end of the world, even if a loss would knock us out. It's the three outcome win and in, draw and playoff and lose and out, that does give a little fear, but we can avoid that with a point against Germany.

So what do I actually want? Us to draw with Germany (who only need a point, remember), Scotland to draw with Poland, and a free shot in Warsaw. Hell, even if we don't make it, at least we'd actually have to play attacking football in an effort to win the game. What will happen? Pfft, who knows?
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Wow.

I wish I had the confidence of those 6 individuals who reckon a draw is the best result! We have quite simply displayed nothing in our performances so far to suggest that we can beat Germany at home or Poland away.

In fact, I think we'll be doing seriously well to take just one point from those two fixtures. With that in mind, anything other than a Polish win in Glasgow would be a terrible result for us imo. Our real chance to qualify will be similar to 2012 - getting a handy draw in a play-off.

Spot on.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

But thats the point of the question.
We know whats needed.

But the point is the games you refer to are played simultaneously; and so the question is what do you hope for in the other game.

Edited by rolo - 08 Sep 2015 at 2:11pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

But thats the point of the question.
We know whats needed.

But the point is the games you refer to are played simultaneously; and so the question is what do you hope for in the other game.

Ha, probably should have said I voted for the Poland win alright!
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:02pm
I see James Morrison will be suspended v Poland. He's usually a goodish player for them.

Edited by grannyrule - 08 Sep 2015 at 3:04pm
The only way is up
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 3:04pm
Maloney doubtful with a hamstring injury
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic