Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotland v Ireland - Saturday 24 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303132
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Josh Cullen almost gets sent off for, not one, but two acts of stupidity at the end of the first half. Crickets.

Alan Browne makes a daft mistake to concede a penalty, half the time which wouldn't be given. Gets called every name under the sun.

Bit more than daft, it was outrageously stupid from Browne, and I'm saying that as someone who thinks he's a useful player. There's a big difference between picking up a yellow for a genuine, mistimed challenge - and thowing your hands up in the air for no apparent reason at a corner where there is no immediate danger. 

We know exactly why you'd like Cullen to be pilloried rather than Browne (he's got too popular amongst the fan base for someone you view as "other"), but whereas one of them actually contributed positively to a good team performance, Browne's main contribution was a moment of madness that lost us the game.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Josh Cullen almost gets sent off for, not one, but two acts of stupidity at the end of the first half. Crickets.

Alan Browne makes a daft mistake to concede a penalty, half the time which wouldn't be given. Gets called every name under the sun.

Bit more than daft, it was outrageously stupid from Browne, and I'm saying that as someone who thinks he's a useful player. There's a big difference between picking up a yellow for a genuine, mistimed challenge - and thowing your hands up in the air for no apparent reason at a corner where there is no immediate danger. 

We know exactly why you'd like Cullen to be pilloried rather than Browne (he's got too popular amongst the fan base for someone you view as "other"), but whereas one of them actually contributed positively to a good team performance, Browne's main contribution was a moment of madness that lost us the game.

Cullen's being good for us but that was far from his best performance in general, even leaving aside the two booking incidents. Browne was being sl*gged before a ball was even kicked. Cullen could/should have left us with ten men; Browne's penalty concession equally moronic, but it wasn't borne out of nothing, he was pushed by Egan. The contrast in reactions to the two incidents is ridiculous.

Again, nobody else but you thinks I have a grudge against English players. Knight was just as bad as Cullen and Parrott looks miles off the hype, and the latter's inconceivable miss is possibly the difference between us winning and losing, same as against Ukraine. They're from County Dublin!

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 26 Sep 2022 at 11:46am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:58am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Pathetic.

What's pathetic? I have serious concerns about Mc Clean at LWB. I think the Scots will target him as a weak link and he was caught out a number of times in the reverse fixture. I'm a fan of Mc Clean's, always have been and I have stood up for him here on more than one occasion. I hope he goes on to get to the 100 cap mark because he deserves it. I just dont think this is the right game for him in a packed Hampden where he will no doubt be the target of sectarian abuse also. With Doherty fit and likely to push on from his RWB berth, I just think we should be looking at a more defensive minded player for the LWB role.

It's pathetic writing off him before a ball is kicked.

What are your thoughts on his performance after the game?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:19pm

Pathetic.

What's pathetic? I have serious concerns about Mc Clean at LWB. I think the Scots will target him as a weak link and he was caught out a number of times in the reverse fixture. I'm a fan of Mc Clean's, always have been and I have stood up for him here on more than one occasion. I hope he goes on to get to the 100 cap mark because he deserves it. I just dont think this is the right game for him in a packed Hampden where he will no doubt be the target of sectarian abuse also. With Doherty fit and likely to push on from his RWB berth, I just think we should be looking at a more defensive minded player for the LWB role.

I thought he played very well and handled his defensive responsibilities well in the main, helped at times by O'Shea who I thought was excellent. Happy to be proven wrong. As I said previously I have long been a fan of James, unlike several others on here, I just had concerns about this fixture as he was caught out badly on a couple of occasions in the reverse fixture. Well done, I think he should retain his spot for tmw also, unlike others who are calling for the introduction of Brady. (I always thought he should have started tmws game btw, just not the away game to Scotland)
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:29pm

Pathetic.

If you check out the James Mc Clean thread, you'll see that I had already acknowledged his good performance yesterday before you posted this.
Idah Dream!
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm
I ran the numbers on the age of the starting XI against Scotland, it was younger than we thought

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:06pm
Still sick about that result. Should've been a win, but to lose it to such a stupid, fluke penalty is the real kicker
Garngad View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garngad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 2:32pm
Alright lads, just to say attended the game on Saturday night with my son we got a ticket for the Ireland end, we had a brilliant time wee man loved the atmosphere, shame about the result but we were really worthy of at least a point. Thanks from the Glasgow Irish
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Garngad Garngad wrote:

Alright lads, just to say attended the game on Saturday night with my son we got a ticket for the Ireland end, we had a brilliant time wee man loved the atmosphere, shame about the result but we were really worthy of at least a point. Thanks from the Glasgow Irish
Pleasure to have you Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303132
  Share Topic